Comic Book: Electric Girl
is an independently published comic written and illustrated by Michael Brennan. The comic stars a number of characters created by Micheal Brennan throughout his career. The first originally part of a series of jokes among his roommates at the Massachusetts College of Art, was a dog Blammo, made following a failed attempt to introduce a puppy to the dorm. Other characters were created later such as Oogleeoog, part of a failed submission to comic distributors and finally the eponymous Electric Girl.
The plot of the comic follows Virgina (Electric Girl) going through her daily teenage life while being perpetually harassed by the gremlin Oogleeoog. The story follows these humorous escapades, between interactions with Virgina's parents and friends and other issues arising in her life.
Though the precursors to Electric Girl were all rejected by mainstream publishers the self-published series has gone on to be nominated for Eisner Award as well as named in Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
list by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
This comic provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order
- Back from the Dead: Dale, a guy who comes back to get vengence on the Fast Food chain that killed him from food poisoning. His girlfriend Julie and her pet cat died and became zombies as well after they ate the leftovers of his meal.
- The Bechdel Test: Passes.
- Child Prodigy: Timmy, a 3-year-old who builds surprisingly sophisticated robots, security systems, and even his own video game. He gets dangerously upset when people breaks his toys.
- Green Aesop: Humorously subverted when Virginia meets an environmentalist who's angry at her for eating a hot dog. The environmentalist hypnotizes some animals into attacking Virgina, but they get hit by a bus, then the environmentalist runs after the bus calling it a murderer.
- Humanity Ensues: One storyline has a gremlin turning into a human. Apparently the process involves a lot of paperwork and the same mess associated with childbirth.
- Our Zombies Are Different: One story features three zombies who are heavily decayed yet fully sentient. They can apparently choose the exact moment when they can finally die for good.
- Papa Wolf: Virgina's Father has been this a few times.
- Pet the Dog: Oogleeoog really is fond of Virginia and has several moments where he looks out for her, he's just forced to cause mayhem as well because he's a gremlin. Also, there was the Halloween story, where Virginia's usually mean cousin helped her get together a costume and took her trick-or-treating.
- Villain Protagonist: Oogleeoog, in any of the stories where he has a major role.
- Psycho Electro: Mostly averted.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Lisa.
- Ring... Ring... CRUNCH: Variation, Virgina zaps an alarm clock off.
- Shock and Awe
- Slice of Life
- Sweet Tooth: Whenever Oogleeoog is seen eating food, its always something like candy, ice cream or kid's cereal.
- Talking Animal: Timmy's pet dog Sparky.