Comic Book: Avengers Invaders
Avengers / Invaders
is a 2007 Bat Family Crossover
between The Avengers
and The Invaders
. It took place in the aftermath of Civil War
and the death of Captain America.
The Invaders (Captain America, Namor, the Human Torch, Bucky, Toro, Union Jack and Spitfire) were in the usual chaos of World War II, and the first 5 of them passed through a strange smoke... and, all of a sudden, they are in 2007 New York, where the Thunderbolts try to capture Spider-Man, who was unregistered. Without realizing that they had time-traveled, they thought that it had to be a nazi trick, or worse, a nazi invasion of the United States. Both teams of Avengers, the registered and unregistered ones, try to get the Invaders and find out how to return them to their own timeline. They were captured by SHIELD, liberated and (after a robot rebellion in the hellicarrier) taken to Dr. Strange. The Invaders came to 2007 because of the Cosmic Cube, reacting to the generalized sorrow over the death of Captain America and the general desire to see him return. Strange noticed as well a 6º time traveler, a regular soldier who reunited with his older self. But, before Dr. Strange could erase their memories and return them to the past, this soldier stole the Cube from Strange, to go back in time and use it to save his military unit. It did not end well: they shot him, and he lost the Cube, which was taken by the Red Skull.
In the 2007, reality collapsed, but Dr. Strange managed to send the Invaders and some of the Avengers to the past. Red Skull completely changed reality, even invaded New York. The Avengers disguised as Golden-Age super heroes, and moved to Germany, to try to get the Cube and restore reality as it was meant to be.
Avengers / Invaders contains examples of:
- Advancing Wall of Doom: Reality falling apart after Paul Anselm took the Cosmic Cube. The older Anselm, the modern Captain America, Ares, Echo, Wonder Man, Black Window and Dr. Strange, all died in it. Dr. Strange managed to send the remaining Avengers and Invaders back to the new World War II to try to fix history.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: There is a rebellion of the Life Model Decoys, robot soldiers of SHIELD.
- Alternate History: In the new timeline, Red Skull is the new Fuhrer, Winston Churchill has been killed, Britain was conquered, the United States was nuked and invaded, the Statue of Liberty broke in half, and the "Aryan Wall" protected all the lands that belong to the "superior race".
- Backstab Backfire: When the Avengers fought against the Invaders and defeat them, they ordered Namor, the last one, to surrender. Ares threw his axe to Namor from his back. Namor, who is never distracted, took the axe in a quick movement and redirected it to Iron Man, nailing it to his chest.
- Berserk Button: As a fellow android, Ultron may have convinced the Human Torch of working with him to "liberate" the androids of SHIELD... but when he made his usual Evil Gloating about his "superior race", then the Torch's gloves are off.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Wolverine saying "Ok, Axis... here we come!"
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The holodeck simulation of Captain America and Namor in World War Two. The Human Torch got inside it, but Bucky and Toro were not real, just part of the simulation. To avoid confussions, except the real characters all the simulated war is coloured in grey (including the fake Bucky and Toro).
- Comically Missing the Point / Shown Their Work: Bucky got an all-access card for the hellicarrier. And, still thinking he was in World War II, he pointed that the card had the German word for "Strong", per the usual Nazi obsession with power and strength. Which is that word, you asked? "Stark"
- Continuity Snarl: Weren't all the cosmic cubes destroyed during the The Infinity Crusade?
- Contrived Coincidence: Bucky throws by accident Cap's shield out of the hellicarrier... and the modern Captain America just happens to be around when it fell in the ground.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Human Torch defeated the Sentry in just 2 pages. Wonder Man even pointed that: it was seconds!
- Namor defeated Penance and broke his armour with a single punch.
- Disability Immunity: D'Spayre can subjugate anyone just by giving them a "The Reason You Suck" Speech. Anyone except Echo, who is deaf.
- Everything Is Racist: The invaders have a repetitive tendency to see nazism, fascism and holocaust in several things of the XXI century.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: First the invaders in the XXI century, and then the Avengers in the alternate WWII
- The Future Is Shocking
- Godwin's Law of Time Travel: Use a reality warping object to prevent a Nazi Victory? Result: Nazi Victory!
- Gone Horribly Right: Ultron wanted to capture the Human Torch to have actual life. And he succedded. But if you have life, you have death, it comes in the package.
- Grumpy Old Man: The old Paul Anselm, a random citizen in the street when the Thunderbolts tried to capture Spider-Man. He said that those are not heroes, that he knows real heroes... and then, the Invaders appear.
- He's Back: Captain America is back! But don't celebrate: he's a temporal anomaly, and must be returned to his proper timeline at once. Still, it was a huge punch to the face of Tony Stark, who still blamed himself for the death of 2007's Captain America.
- Here We Go Again: The Invaders' return to the past, modified by Red Skull and his Cosmic Cube. Again New York, again the wrong New York.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Namor called Ares a coward for requiring an Axe to fight.
- Holodeck Malfunction: Once captured, Namor and Captain America were kept in statis, dreaming to be fighting World War II. But if they dream their deaths, they would day, so the Human Torch has to get inside and take them out.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: The Human Torch, an android, had a crisis over this. He had once liberated a Nazi concentration camp, and saw many similarities with SHIELD's "Life Model Decoys", androids used for risky missions.
- Internal Homage: The cover of the first issue, by Alex Ross, is similar to an image of the Invaders storming into a nazi base in Marvels
- Just Think of the Potential: D'Spayre had the cosmic cube, but he was not using it, he was just feeding on the national sorrow channeled with it
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The rebellion of the LMD controlled by Ultron was described as "a weird secret invasion". And someone pointed, did you had to call it that way?
- Mr. Fanservice: Namor and Toro, they only wear a pair of boxers.
- My Future Self and Me: Namor and Paul Anselm. Bucky Barnes, who became the new Captain America after the death of Steve Rogers, met both his younger self and Steve Rogers (2 Captains America for the price of 1).
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Paul Anselm, in his attempt to prevent a nazi victory, let the Red Skull get the Cosmic Cube.
- Bucky retrieved Captain America's shield, through it to him when he was fighting robots on top of the hellicarrier... and missed. The shield falled to the ground, very far below.
- Ominous Message from the Future: From Bucky's perspective (from ours, it's "Ominous Message From The Present, for someone from the past"). Modern Captain America, actually Bucky himself (he did not mention that detail) warned him that someday Zemo would fire a bomb, and Captain America would ask him to let it go. His message: do as Steve said, let it go. His memory was not erased during the adventure, so he remembered it when the day come. But who knows what destruction would that bomb cause, if left flying? So Bucky had his Dying Moment of Awesome anyway, and history continued as it was meant to.
- Ominous Multiple Screens: Tony Stark, director of SHIELD, is not a man who would see the returned Captain America in a mere TV screen. No, put his face in all screens at once!
- Plot Hole: When Iron Man proposed everybody in the past to use Invader's costumes, Spider-Man pointed that it's not as easy as it sounds, that it takes a very long time to weave costumes. Still, they appear dressed as Invaders anyway, and Spidey's comment is simply left ignored.
- Reality Warping Is Not a Toy: Paul Anselm learned this the hard way
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: During the fight in the hellicarrier (a flying ship), Bucky threw Cap's shield to him... and missed, and it fell to the ground. He received it later, and thanked Bucky for recovering it, that he was sure that he would recover it somehow. He did not: the shield was retrieved by the modern Captain America, who joined the action. But then, the new Captain America is Bucky (the adult and modern one), so he wasn't so wrong after all.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: All of Anselm's military unit was killed, when he and the invaders were time-displaced to 2007. He tried to use the Cosmic cube to save them.
- Survivor Guilt: Paul Anselm was filled of it
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: D'Spayre gave one to Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Ronin, Spider-Man, Bucky, Toro and Paul Anselm
- Universal-Adaptor Cast: Was it all a big excuse to dress the Avengers as the Invaders? To prevent disrupting the timeline, the Avengers in the past took the costumes of other heroes of The Golden Age of Comic Books.
- Victory Guided Amnesia: Subverted. Iron Man was about to use the Cosmic Cube to wipe the memories of 2007 from the Invaders, before sending them back, but then Anselm stole the Cube and broke everything. The Invaders returned to their time and the timeline was eventually restored, but they remembered it all.
- What the Hell, Hero?: The Human Torch, an android created by a jew and having seen the Holocaust, gave one to SHIELD. He considered that SHIELD's androids are not in a very different situation