Alex + Ada
is a Comic Book
series by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn, started in 2013. Set in a future where sentient A.I. are outlawed, it focuses on Alex, a young man whose fiancÚ recently left him, and Ada, his female android.
One day, Alex, depressed after his fiancÚ leaves him, is given the unwanted gift of an android for his... Needs... By his grandma. Alex eventually decides to keep her, and names her Ada. He soon discovers that he is unhappy with Ada's lack of sentience, and ventures into "Prime Space" and the Degrees of Freedom forum to find a way to make her sentient.
Tropes that appear:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: A prior incident means most of society thinks of advanced artificial intelligence this way, and A.I. that had the capacity for sentience have had it blocked.
- Beard of Sorrow: Alex rocked the Stubble of Sorrow for the first few pages of the first issue.
- Cool Old Lady: Alex's grandma.
- Decompressed Comic: The series is known for this, taking time with significant actions. But not a negative example, in fact, it's highly praised for its pacing.
- Fantastic Racism: Sentient A.I. are met with outright aggression the general populous.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Alex wants a relationship with Ada, but he thinks she's unsure how she feels about him, being new to emotions and all.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Alex's grandma, who doesn't mind sharing her thoughts with Alex.
- The Metaverse: Prime Space is the internet, which one accesses via and implant in their brain, and is basically the internet.
- Oblivious to Love: Alex's friend Isabel is very clearly stuck in the friendzone.
- Robosexual: Many, many people. Although there's still a slight stigma against it, as long as they aren't sentient, nobody cares that much.
- Runaway Bride: Alex's fiancÚ Claire left him, not giving any reason.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Ada is asked whether she and Alex are a couple, but doesn't know if they are interested in each other. She then works out that, yes, they both are.