Comicbook: Alex + Ada
Alex + Ada is a Comic Book series by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn, started in 2013. Set in a future where sentient A.I. are outlawed, it focuses on Alex, a young man whose fiancÚ recently left him, and Ada, his female android.One day, Alex, depressed after his fiancÚ leaves him, is given the unwanted gift of an android for his... needs... By his grandma. Alex eventually decides to keep her, and names her Ada. He soon discovers that he is unhappy with Ada's lack of sentience, and ventures into "Prime Space" and the Degrees of Freedom forum to find a way to make her sentient.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The "Nexaware Massacre", an incident where sentient machines killed thirty-four people, means most of society thinks of advanced artificial intelligence this way, and A.I. that had the capacity for sentience have had it blocked.
- Beard of Sorrow: Alex rocked the stubble of sorrow for the first few pages of the first issue.
- Cool Old Lady: Alex's grandma.
- Decompressed Comic: The series is known for this, taking time with significant actions. But not a negative example, in fact, it's highly praised for its pacing.
- Until the last issue, #16, when twenty-five years pass within a few pages.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Ada is "killed" and Alex is sent to jail for twenty-five years, although he avoids a long sentence because nobody figures out that Ada was sentient. When he gets out, however, sentient robots have rights, so he arranges for Ada to be returned back and even manages to reboot her with her old memories and sentience. The last issue ends with an older Alex and Ada looking into each other's faces.
- Fantastic Racism: Sentient A.I. are met with outright aggression the general populous.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Alex wants a relationship with Ada, but he thinks she's unsure how she feels about him, being new to emotions and all.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Alex's grandma, who doesn't mind discussing sex in front of Alex.
- The Metaverse: Prime Space, which one accesses via and implant in their brain, is basically the internet.
- Oblivious to Love: Alex's friend Isabel is very clearly in love with him, although he does not return her affections.
- Robosexual: Many, many people. Although there's still a slight stigma against it, as long as they aren't sentient, nobody cares that much.
- Runaway Bride: Alex's fiancÚ Claire left him, not giving any reason.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Ada is asked whether she and Alex are a couple, but doesn't know if they are interested in each other. She then works out that, yes, they both are.