open/close all folders
Characters from the Lucky Star universe, 2007
The eleventh-graders who attend Ryouou High, whose lives are disrupted by the arrival of Homura and Kyubey.
Kagami Hiiragi Star White
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Kagami thinks of Homura during a bath, leading to this.
- Anti-Magic: In Kyubey's words, she has the power to repel and reject magic.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Overlaps with...
- Barrier Maiden: She and Tsukasa are the "multiversal focal points" that hold all universes together.
- Enemy Within: A bit of Vittoria apparently exists within her, pushing her to ruin her life. After the essence of Vittoria is forcibly extracted and absorbed by Desideria, this is no longer the case.
- Katanas Are Just Better / Black Swords Are Better: Her signature weapon as a Star, Kurokami.
- Named Weapon: Kurokami, her katana, named after the color of Homura's hair.
- Tsundere: As Konata puts it in her inimitable manner, "You're deredere for Akemi and tsuntsun for me, huh?"Kagami: Shut up!
- Power Gives You Wings: The shadows of black feathered wings emerge from her back when she's seriously pissed off. Her Star form makes the wings solid, with points of starlight.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Homura, after the latter dies.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: After joining the kendo club, she starts using a white oak bokken to help fight Demons. Until it gets broken... She replaces it later with a real one in her Star form.
Tsukasa Hiiragi Star Black
- Anti-Magic: In a different way than Kagami's Anti-Magic - rather than nullify magic, she can absorb it like a magnet (as the Seventh found out).
- And Desideria learns the hard way that she can also throw absorbed magic back once she gains her powers as a full-fledged Star.
- Barrier Maiden: See Kagami's entry above.
- Beta Couple: With Miyuki, actually the Second in disguise.
- Demonic Possession: By the Seventh, after she takes it into her body.
- Named Weapon: Yukitamashii, a bracelet made of pearl-white magatama beads.
- Power Gives You Wings: Similar to Kagami's, but hers are white.
Konata Izumi Star Blue
- Blade on a Stick: Her signature weapon in Star form is a naginata with in Incredibly Lame Pun for a name... see below.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: When she was captured by the Sixth and transformed into a Spawn.
- Gamer Chick
- Genre Savvy: She suspects that something's up with Homura long before she learns the truth about her being a Puella Magi, and knows that she and Kagami have feelings for each other before either of them admit it. Sometimes overlaps with Wrong Genre Savvy, see below.
- Named Weapon: Konaginata.
- Otaku Surrogate: Of course. Finding out that magical girls are real leads to some extreme fangirl moments.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Her savviness gets her kidnapped by the Spawn of the Sixth.
Miyuki Takara Star Pink
- Beta Couple: With Tsukasa.
- Drop the Hammer: One of the forms of her signature Star weapon, Heshioru.
- Distressed Damsel: For most of the story, she is trapped inside the Second's Lair.
- Meganekko: Her glasses are hiding a secret...
- Named Weapon: Heshioru, a magic book that links to her glasses and transforms into a hammer.
- The Smart Guy: This figures into her Star powers: her book and glasses can gather and display the information that she collects from multiple sources.
- White Mage: What she crafted her Star outfit after... though Konata points out that her actual powers are more in line with a Red Mage.
Homura AkemiThe 2007 version of Homura. Kagami visits her after the future Homura dies, in order to cure her illness.
- Ill Girl: As the original Homura was prior to contracting and becoming a Puella Magi. Kagami fixes this.
- Replacement Goldfish: Kagami consciously avoids using this version of Homura as this.
- Shrinking Violet: In contrast to her future self's aloof behaviour.
- Walking Spoiler: Shows up only at the epilogue, after the other Homura dies.
Characters from the Puella Magi universe, 2012- 2013
The Puellae Magi, Magical Girls from a parallel universe set two years after Madoka's ascension. Most of them were killed during the war with Vittoria. Kyubey is listed here too, of course.
Homura Akemi Star Violet
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: At first.
- Broken Bird: The events of her past haven't been kind at all to her emotional state. Being raped by the Second has only made things worse, though Kagami is helping her recover.
- Dark Magical Girl: Very much so. She's willing to use extreme measures to protect Kagami, even breaking her heart.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Good Lord.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Being around Kagami brings out her deredere side. Awww.
- Go Out with a Smile: Following the below trope.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Refuses to let Kagami contract to spare her from a Fate Worse Than Death, knowing full well she'll die otherwise from Soul Gem corruption.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Her motivation for rejecting Kagami, and then for stopping Kagami from making a wish to save her, knowing full well she will die without it.
- My Greatest Failure: She blames herself for failing to Mercy Kill her universe's Kagami when she had the chance, and thinks of all the death and suffering that followed as her fault. The Second takes full advantage of this.
- Second Love: With Kagami.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Her mission this time is to prevent the catastrophe that befell her world from ever happening again.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Madoka first, and then Kagami after she herself dies.
- The Stoic: Though more free with her emotions than before, she's still calm and unflappable when she needs to be.
- Blue and Orange Morality: As is typical of his species. However, he seems to be showing more human traits, possibly as a result of all the time spent around Homura and the disaster his old world suffered through.
- How Dare You Die on Me!: Says this in his own way when Homura is about to die from Soul Gem corruption, pressuring her to let Kagami contract.
- Lack of Empathy: As expected from Kyubey, of all people. However, it's clear he 'cares', in some form, for Homura, and tries to convince her to let Kagami wish her back to life to no avail.
- Last of His Kind: He was left behind when the other Incubators abandoned Earth, and is the only one of his species in the Lucky Star universe.
- Weasel Mascot: Konata calls him a "fairy", leading Homura to choke on her drink.
- Supporting Leader: She brought all of the Puellae Magi together, uniting them for a greater cause.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Because Kriemhild Gretchen can no longer exist in the new world, Oriko is less of a Well-Intentioned Extremist and is now almost completely heroic.
- Visions of Another Self: In her dreams, she saw her villainous self in the other timelines that Homura went through.
- Big Sister Mentor
- Death of Personality
- Fate Worse Than Death: See below.
- Mind Rape: Had her memories eaten by a Demon until she was reduced to an infantile state.
- Big Eater
- Broken Bird: After being forced to Mercy Kill Mami.
- Died Happily Ever After: Was reunited with Mami after Madoka took her to her heaven.
- Mercy Kill: Was forced to do this to Mami.
- Cloning Blues: She isn't exactly thrilled with taking care of her seven-year-old clone, Kanna, but they seem to enjoy each other's company by the end.
- Healing Factor: As in her canon series, her wish gave her regenerative abilities.
- Fling a Light into the Future: Nico builds a deep space probe with this purpose, designed to outlast the end of the world and contain as much knowledge about humans as possible.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Able to assemble a deep space probe from scratch using only the technology she can salvage after the apocalypse.
- Last Of Her Kind: The last of the Pleiades. Pioneer establishes that she becomes Earth's last Puella Magi after Oriko and Yuma die.
- The Smart Guy: She was this to the Pleiades Saints.
VittoriaThe Demon of Mourning, responsible for destroying the Earth and killing billions in Homura's universe. Every Puella Magi on the planet teamed up to fight her, engaging her in a war that lasted a year and a half before she finally fell. However, as she died, she spread her essence throughout The Multiverse, spawning Demons in universes without magical girls to protect them. She is the one that birthed the Nine. Vittoria is actually the Demon form of the Madokaverse's Kagami Hiiragi, born from her despair at seeing Tsukasa die in front of her eyes.
A group of super-intelligent Demons. They are the children of Vittoria, and the story's main antagonists.
The First (Serafino)The Demon of Limbo. An enormous worm that resembles a bullet train with three sets of bloodstained teeth.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- Too Many Mouths
- Warmup Boss: Homura very easily takes it down in the second chapter.
The Second (Desideria)The Demon of Lust. A shapeshifter with an affinity for mirrors. She traps Miyuki inside the lens of her glasses and impersonates her for most of the story, seducing Tsukasa in order to feed on her Heart. Her true form is a catlike thing made of tongues and eyes. After accidentally reading the mind of the Ninth and discovering his true murderous intentions, she set in place an elaborate plan to replace herself with one of her Spawn and fake her own death... only to return and kill the Ninth when everyone least expected it.
- Bed Trick: To Tsukasa, multiple times.
- Break Them by Talking
- Cloning Gambit: She replaced herself with one of her own Spawn and faked her death.
- The Corrupter
- Imprison And Replace: To Miyuki.
- Mind Rape: A particularly vicious example, as she augments it with physical rape. By the end of it, Homura is pretty much catatonic.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter
The Third (Ciacco)The Demon of Gluttony. A giant, emaciated dog with three eyes and a stomach filled with maggots.
The Fourth (Gaspare)The Demon of Greed. A knight composed of solid lead, with veins of gold and silver. It carries a golden lance and a silver shield.
The Fifth (Geppetto)The Demon of Wrath. It resembles a wooden puppet's hand, with six fingers and animated carved faces on each fingertip.
The Sixth (Jovanni)The Demon of Heresy. It takes the form of a demonic, twisted cathedral composed of volcanic rock, with stained glass windows for eyes.
The Seventh (Duilio)The Demon of Violence. A Demon with the appearance of a three-story tall skinned minotaur, with a bull's skull for a head and a chest composed of the flayed corpses of its victims woven together.
- Badass BoastIf I must join them, I will at least perish in a way that befits me. Let the Puella Magi come with her armory. Let the focal point strike me with her sword. Before I die, I'll crush their skulls between my teeth, drink their marrow, crack open their ribs…
- Blood Knight
- Evil Is Visceral
- Mind Rape: When Tsukasa tries to fight off the Seventh's Demonic Possession, it resorts to projecting the painful memories of its victims into her head.
The Eighth (Giustino)The Demon of Fraud.. It takes the form of a snake head statue that does not move. Its Spawn take the form of the friends and loved ones of their foes, and taunt them to drive them into despair.
The Ninth (Lucio)The Demon of Treachery. He leads the Nine, though he plots to betray them, as it is part of his nature. He takes the form of a winged, three-faced figure carved from ice.
- Alien Geometries: His wings are made of crystals with impossible shapes.
- An Ice Demon
- Big Bad: Until Desideria usurps him.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: He kills the Eighth essentially for no reason... because it's his nature.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: As befits a Demon made of ice.
- Omnicidal Maniac:Eventually, the Second, Mother, and everyone and everything else would all realize how alone they truly were. In that moment, the Ninth would kill them all, without remorse, without pause, without even knowing why. For that was the Ninth, that was its nature.
- Team Killer: Perfectly willing to kill the others of the Nine, though the only one he actually kills off is the Eighth.