Tropes pertaining to the cast of Oyasumi Punpun
The main character of Oyasumi Punpun. Initially depicted as a vague, childlike drawing of a bird, Pun-Pun is very optimistic and serious as a child. He falls in love with a girl named Aiko, and his promise to her to go to Kagoshima becomes his drive for the remainder of the story.
The transfer student from Pun-Pun's elementary school, and his crush. She takes a quick liking to him and they become good friends for their time in elementary school.
- Broken Bird: Just as bad as Pun-Pun. Her crippled mother abuses her physically and verbally, and forces her to take part in her cult.
- Continuity Nod: She bites Pun-Pun's finger so hard her front tooth comes out, making her look like she did when they first met.
- Driven to Suicide
- Eye Scream: Stabs Pun-Pun in the eye after they flee the scene of her mother's murder.
- Put on a Bus: She becomes scarce after Pun-Pun enters middle school, and by the time they're in high school, she's nowhere to be found. She comes back a short while after Pun-Pun leaves high school and moves into his own apartment.
- Walking Spoiler
An aspiring manga artist who Punpun eventually becomes involved with.
- Author Avatar: Seems to be one for Inio Asano to a degree. They're both mangaka, and many of the beliefs she espouses towards making manga seem to reflect Asano's own philosophy on writing manga. The manga she eventually makes also appears to be Solanin.
- Cannot Spit It Out: She's a bit too proud to straight up tell Punpun how much he means to her.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: She gets pregnant by her ex-husband, and initially plans on getting an abortion, but decides to keep the child in the end.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's very abrasive, frequently delivering "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Punpun, but she cares about him all the same and is a good person all around, just a bit rough around the edges.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Downplayed. She's fairly bright and optimistic and helps to bring out the best in Punpun after the funk he's in brought by Azusa Kanie's "The Reason You Suck" Speech, encouraging him to work harder and the two become romantically involved.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Is this with the older Kanie.