All principal heroines in Koihime†Musou are expies of the (male) generals from the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms epic and the former's names are derived from the latter's by reading the original Chinese characters in their names as kanji. Additionally, each sport a true, "private" name usually reserved for close friends, alongside a courtesy name.
open/close all folders
Characters of the Shoku (Shu) Kingdom
Ryuubi (Private name: Touka; Courtesy name: Gentoku; Expy: Liu Bei)
- The Chosen One - After hearing Kada's explanation of the "Dragon Sword" (see the Chekhov's Gun entry in the main page), everyone has come to the conclusion that Ryuubi, with the sword she now has, is the only one with a chance of slaying Ukitsu. She actually delivers in the final battle when she stabs Ukitsu, killing him.
- Distressed Damsel - Twice in the Shin Koihime anime. On both occassions, she's attacked by the same group of bandits, both cases being rescued by Kannu and company. The second nearly enters Attempted Rape territory.
- Happens yet again in Otome Tairan when she tries to help Gien, only to get into trouble herself, and resulting in another Attempted Rape incident.
- Gainaxing - Purposely done in episode 8.
- Fallen Princess - A flashback in the Shin Koihime anime reveals how Ryuubi's identity and sword were stolen by the fake Ryuubi
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood - Ryuubi's mother threw her into a nearby river whenever she thought about how Ryuubi lost the family heirloom
- Hypocritical Humor - After getting ambushed by bandits, Ryuubi states she's smart enough not to be a Distressed Damsel again. Seconds later, she's back into the role
- It Was a Gift - In Otome Tairan, Ryuubi gets a new sword, one Forged by the Gods, specifically the Dragon God from Shin Koihime to replace her Ancestral Weapon that was fried by lightning
- Robinsonade - Played with in the Shin Koihime OVA: flashbacks showed her going on a trip, and apparently she disappeared without a trace. She ended up on what she presumed was a Deserted Island, but it turned out to be the same island resort the rest of the cast went to (she was rescued by the Nanban Barbarians who lived there; apparently they never ventured far enough from their home to the "resort" area until the Giant Octo-Payapaya incident)
- Stealth Clothes - When raiding the pantry after her failed diet.
- Weight Woe - While she doesn't look any visibly heavier since the Shin Koihime anime, Ryuubi freaks-out over Chouhi saying how soft her lap feels in Otome Tairan. She decides to try dieting and exercising to lose the extra weight, but due to poor self-control and physical weakness, her efforts don't go as planned. After attempting to starve herself, she just can't take it anymore and finally gives in. Although the unhealthy dieting and exercising ceases, Ryuubi continues to worry about her weight. Also fits as Truth in Television.
- White Mage - All of her super techniques in the visual novel are healing moves of varying power levels.
Kannu (Private name: Aisha; Courtesy name: Unchou; Expy: Guan Yu)
- Barehanded Blade Block - Kannu pulls one off in episode 11 of season one
- Berserk Button - don't mess with Kazuto
- Big Brother Instinct - Kannu's unnamed brother was shown as her selfless protector, going so far as to save her life at the cost of his own. It was probably by having such an admirable older brother, that Kannu developed her own big sister instinct when the time came.
- Celibate Heroine - Kannu's primarily focused on her goal of saving a war-torn Ancient China. She is also portrayed as an easily embarrassed Clingy Jealous Girl and flustered at even the slightest intimate comment or gesture (which makes her usually aggressive Unwanted Harem in the anime all the more entertaining). The exception to this portrayal is in the last two episodes of season one.
- Demoted to Extra - Was originally the main heroine in the first game and animated series, but beginning with Shin Koihime she played second fiddle to Ryuubi. Worse, by the third game, Kannu's relegated to a supporting character of other spotlight heroines.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty - She becomes this way towards Kazuto in the first game after several battles, supposedly to keep him in shape and top form, but this may actually be a sign of her being a Type-B Tsundere.
- Dude, Where's My Respect? - Kannu may be a well-known bandit hunter, but when it comes time for food and shelter she has to do odd jobs like cooking, cleaning, and even working in a Meido cafe to make money
- Face of a Thug: She even gets confused for a Bandit
- Funbag Airbag - In the OVA, when Koumei tries to buy some bread at the school canteen, she gets shoved back by the crowd and plows face-first into Kannu's chest
- Mugging the Monster - Bandits think Kannu's an easy mark. They find out the hard way she's a combat veteran (first game)/famous bandit-hunter (anime).
- Slip Knot Ponytail - In Otome Tairan epsiode 11, after she and Chouryou have an intense fight.
Chouhi (Private name: Rinrin; Courtesy name: Yokutoku; Expy: Zhang Fei)
- Androcles' Lion - Subverted since Chouhi has mistaken wild animals for her childhood pets several times, so instead of happy reunions, the characters end up having to run for their lives
- Balloon Belly - In episode 7 of season one
- Bare Your Midriff
- Brutal Honesty - She takes the "brutal" part of the trope to its finest.
- Catapult Nightmare
- Constantly Curious - Played for laughs whenever she asks questions about the female body and physical intimacy that embarrasses almost everyone. Kannu almost always refuses to answer.
- Cute Bruiser
- Defeat Means Friendship - And, apparently, sisterhood, since this is how Kannu and Chouhi met.
- Dojikko - Chouhi immediately invokes this when told to perform some basic manual tasks.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Idiots Cannot Catch Colds - She attempts to prove this theory at the end of season one; it doesn't work.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl - Arguably, which usually leads to Kannu asking her to Please Put Some Clothes On
- Insane Troll Logic - Chouhi believes that by letting her Blade on a Stick fall on a crossroads, whatever direction it lands pointing towards is the divinely chosen correct path
- Little Miss Badass
- Too Many Belts - two overlapping, both purely ornamental given her skin-tight spats.
- Quick Draw Decision - Chouhi gives one when Enshou and her cronies take Sonshoukou hostage.
- Verbal Tic: Ends all of her sentences with 'なのだ', 'nanoda', in the anime adaptation.
Chouun (Private name: Sei; Courtesy name: Shiryuu; Expy: Zhao Yun)
- Animal Motif: The Butterfly when she in her Paper-Thin Disguise
- Chivalrous Pervert - Lampshaded by her statement, "What's wrong with my knees?"; nothing's wrong...well, not that any of the fanboys mind...
- The Combat Pragmatist - Takes a more strategic approach to fights than the other generals, which allows her to win against opponents that they can't defeat.
- Death Glare - She'll give one to whosoever dares to even look at her Trademark Favorite Food. Somewhat flanderized progressively throughout the anime
- Drill Sergeant Nasty - Her lectures and scoldings are the ones that Bachou and Chouhi are most afraid of, moreso than Kannu's. In the game, Sei's unit is likened to a modern commando outfit which would imply a certain increase in training standards as well.
- Foe-Tossing Charge - Gets to pull one off in the first season finale
- Henshin Hero - Invoked by her Masked Butterfly persona
- Mysterious Protector, Paper-Thin Disguise - Played with; unfortunately, it doesn't work out too well
- Put on a Bus - During mid-season of the first anime, but subverted once the bus pulls into the station for the finale. The same thing happens again in Shin Koihime, with Butterfly Mask attempting to steal the show for the final scene (it doesn't really work.)
- See You in Hell - Said to Kannu before facing off against an overwhelming force of bandits on a very narrow cliff; fortunately, they get out of it
- The Tease
- Trademark Favorite Food - Menma, or fermented bamboo shoots, typically with plenty of alcohol. On some occasions, she can even eat them on their own (it's a condiment).
- The Trickster - More apparent in the games, but she does love sowing a small amount of chaos just for her own amusement or to make a point.
- Walking the Earth - Wandered about looking for a worthy master before the events of the game. She also mentions that she used to travel with her brothers.
- Witty Banter - Chouun's just too good at it
Bachou (Private name: Sui; Courtesy name: Mouki; Expy: Ma Chao)
- Heavy Sleeper - Whatever Chouun's "retribution" was to Bachou, she was completely unaware of it in season one. In the Shin Koihime anime, Batai groped her and drew on her face without her stirring
- I Ate WHAT?? - It's implied Bachou might've added something extra to the fish for dinner...
- Living Lie Detector - Apparently, being exceptionally skilled allows Bachou to tell if a person is lying by merely looking at their fighting stance
- Mushroom Samba - Gets a trip from eating a psychedelic mushroom in the mountains. She's got an interesting way of eating them, too
- You Killed My Father - Bachou tries to kill Sousou at one point for this. Ultimately subverted when it's revealed her father died falling off his horse
Shokatsuryou (Private name: Shuri; Courtesy name: Koumei; Expy: Zhuge Liang)
- Chekhov's Gun - Koumei talks about how lightning often strikes metal in episode nine of Shin Koihime
- Covert Pervert - Koumei secretly "researches" certain carnal arts in the visual novels to please Kazuto; she manages to rope in Hōtō in Shin Koihime. The anime uses this but for no apparent reason, other than to simply invoke the trope.
- Determinator - So much that even Chouhi's impressed
- In-Series Nickname - In the visual novels, due to her tendency to stutter "Hawawa~" when she's nervous, she's earned the nickname of being the "Hawawa Strategist"
- Judgment of Solomon - In Otome Tairan, Chouhi and Moukaku are engaged in a tug-of-war over the ownership of the Nanban elephant, Paya-paya, declaring that Moukaku won even though she let go because she noticed that the animal was suffering.
- Only Sane Girl
- The Strategist - Unsurprisingly, given who she's an expy of
- Why Did It Have To Be Heights
Kouchuu (Private name: Shion; Courtesy name: Kanshou; Expy: Huang Zhong)
- Action Mom - It's not a pretty story behind her "action"
- Rant-Inducing Slight - In her rant on how she's going to torture the fake Ryuubi, complete with demonic Facial Markings
- Team Mom - In the visual novels, she serves in this role in addition to being an actual mother, due to having the most life experience out of the heroines. Even the worldly Sei acknowledges this.
- What Happened to the Mouse? - In the OVA, Kouchuu appears as a commentator, then mysteriously replaced by her daughter Riri. It takes a Brick Joke after the credits to reveal where she is: locked and tied up inside a gym by god knows who
Gengan (Private name: Kikyo; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Yan Yan)
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer - Despite being a district lord, Gengan doen't seem like someone to be taken seriously. Lampshaded by the girls in Otome Tairan, yet Gengan simply laughs it off
- Japanese Pronouns - Uses "washi"; odd considering it's usually reserved for old men and historically it's unknown how old Yan Yan was when he first appeared in the novel
Gien (Private name: En'ya; Courtesy name: Buncho; Expy: Wei Yan)
- Insult Misfire - Played with in the following dialogue in Otome Tairan:Gien: Shut up, you flat-chested midget!Chouhi: What?! Apologize to Shuri!
- Love at First Sight - Gien towards Ryuubi, due to her Big Sister Attraction; ironically, it's the title of the episode she appears in for Otome Tairan
- Skunk Stripe
- Too Kinky to Torture - In Otome Tairan, she gets punished for insubordination by Gengan and is tied up and tickled using a catnip twig. Rather than being played for laughs, her reaction is rather erotic
Batai (Private name: Tanpopo; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Ma Dai)
- Balloon Belly - Batai in episode 4 of season three
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- I Shall Taunt You - She's able to defeat Gien in their first meeting by taunting her, thus starting a rivalry that lasts for the rest of the game.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty - Batai can't stand-up to Bachou's abilities so she tries to use cheap tricks and deception to win fights; it doesn't work
Houtou (Private name: Hinari; Courtesy name: Shigen; Expy: Pang Tong)
Characters of the Gi (Wei) Kingdom
Sousou (Private name: Karin; Courtesy name: Motoku; Expy: Cao Cao)
- The Ace - In the official artbook, she is ranked at the highest level possible in almost every attribute. Yes, she is pretty much better than everyone in every way.
- An Adventurer Is You - A debuffer. Her super techniques are predominantly status reducers and poison.
- Bittersweet Ending - By the end of her route in the Shin Koihime visual novel, she has conquered all of China but Kazuto vanishes back to the other world and leaves her alone. This doesn't happen for anyone else.
- Dark Is Not Evil - To an extent: she has skulls in her hair and wields a Sinister Scythe (see also Girl with Psycho Weapon below), but she is easily one of the most noble and sympathetic characters in the series
- Dress Hits Floor
- Fake Kill Scare - In order to test Keifa's loyalty, she swings her scythe around as if to kill her.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon - Sousou packs a Sinister Scythe; combines with a fierce, dark Battle Aura if her Berserk Button is pressed
- Insufferable Genius - In the original game, Sousou spends her time after her defeat in intellectual pursuits. She reads Shu's entire Royal Library, cooks delicious food just by observation, builds a distillery from scratch just by reading a book and annotates Sun Tzu just for fun. She also constantly reminds Kazuto how superior she is to him and to everyone else really. She spent an entire day criticising food stalls and showing the cooks how its really done.
- Jerkass Façade - Sousou pretends to be the Rich Bitch to hide her nice side, especially evident in the story with Bachou and her father; by the final episode of season one, she even fulfills the tsundere requirements
- Kissing Cousins - Her harem includes Kakoton and Kakouen, who are her cousins
- Mistaken for Murderer - In regards to Bachou's father
- Moment Killer - When things between Sousou and Kannu were about to get interesting, an assassin comes along and ruins the mood. Sorry, fellas...
- Psycho Lesbian - Played with: Sousou doesn't take no for an answer, although she gets presented somewhat more positively as subsequent seasons roll along
- This is carried over from the visual novel where she starts hitting on Kan'u fairly early on and suggests that if Kan'u is ever captured, she will break her and turn her into a sex slave.
- Tsundere - To Kazuto, with more emphasis on verbal abuse and The Un-giver strategy
Kakoton (Private name: Shunran; Courtesy name: Genjo; Expy: Xiahou Dun)
- Blood Knight: As Gi's most aggressive general, Kakoton plays the role of that faction's Blood Knight. That does not preclude a strong sense of honor and loyalty however.
- Berserk Button: Whenever Kazuto trys to steal a march on her for Karin's affections.
- Corner of Woe - Enters into it when she wasn't chosen to sing in the Shin Koihime anime
- Her non-selection was apparently justified that she's apparently Hollywood Tone-Deaf as shown in the ED in the final episode (she's singing her heart out, whereas Kakouen and Kousonsan couldn't stand it and tried drowning it all out with alcohol).
- Eyepatch of Power - Only in the visual novels and in the 3rd OVA
- Undying Loyalty - To Sousou, even by the standards of Gi's main generals who are ALL slavishly devoted to her.
Kakouen (Private name: Shuuran; Courtesy name: Myosai; Expy: Xiahou Yuan)
- Archer Archetype: Her favourite personal weapon although Kakouen's mastery of the bow is not as emphasized as Kouchuu's. Kakouen also fits the personality connected to this archetype very well.
- The Brigadier: Serves as the level-headed commander of Gi's armies in contrast to her out-of-control cousin and psychotic strategist.
- Demoted to Extra - Played with: Kakouen's left behind during the Hot Springs Episode and feels left out; she strikes a symbolic sitting position in the commercial break picture. In the picnic scene of the season one finale, it's her sister Kakoton's turn to get left behind
- Incest Subtext - Implied in the visual novels
- Only Sane Man: She bemoans having to deal with the conflicting personalities in Gi's army and covering up all their foibles while out drinking.
- The Men First: As one of Sousou's top generals, she could eat wherever she wants but prefers to move among the men and goes to lower-key bars to drink.
Jun'iku (Private name: Keifa; Courtesy name: Bunjaku; Expy: Xun Yu)
- Biting the Handkerchief - In response to Sousou showing apparent affection to other women (or men, for that matter), rather than her
- Extreme Doormat: Her default personality, where the object of her affections is concerned.
- I Kiss Your Foot
- Insult Backfire - In the Shin Koihime anime, Keifa insults Enjutsu by saying all she does is eat honey and sing, comparing her to a cricket. Enjutsu takes the whole thing as a sign of people talking about how great she is
- The Strategist
- Undying Loyalty: The only person more devoted to Sousou than Kakouton.
Kyocho (Private name: Kii; Courtesy name: Chuukou; Expy: Xu Chu)
- Cute Bruiser
- Hidden Eyes - Part of her "battle transformation"
- Hyperspace Flail - Lampshaded in the anime whenever she brings it out, people stare in shock and verbally wonder where the hell she pulls out the damn weapon.
- And if you look closely, you'll notice it's actually a kendama.
- Standing in the Hall - As punishment for eating during class in the OVA
Kakuka (Private name: Rin; Courtesy name: Houkou; Expy: Guo Jia)
- Mistaken for Dying - Her personal Running Gag: if she thinks of the slightest perverted thought, a Nosebleed ensues, leading to High-Pressure Blood. So frequently, in fact, she's often found passed out on the ground in a pool of blood, Mistaken for Dying
Teiiku (Private name: Fuu; Courtesy name: Chuutoku; Expy: Cheng Yu)
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite her lethargic demeanor and eccentricities, Teiiku is highly insightful and perceptive as a strategist.
Gakushin (Private name: Nagi; Courtesy name: Bunken; Expy: Yue Jin)
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Good Scars, Evil Scars - Her numerous scars are all clean cut and almost seem uniform in a way
- Roundhouse Kick: One of her special techniques. So awesome, it has its own CG where her foot is on fire.
Riten (Private name: Mao; Courtesy name: Mansei; Expy: Li Dian)
- This Is a Drill: Her signature weapon, a spear with a working drill on the end.
- Too Many Belts: Her leggings are literally held up by straps that attach to her two belts, which she wears in lieu of actual trousers.
- Wrench Wench - At least by appearance (it's not known exactly what she works on); made hotter by her breasts (which is HUGE for her build) and her Stripperiffic outfit
- Her ingenuity's revealed in the anime: one of her inventions is a rifle that fires projectiles using "hot springs technology"
- In Otome Tairan she builds a robot duplicate of Toutaku that somehow fools Ryofu. And at the end of the season, she builds another based on Sousou, which Kakoton ends up cuddling.
Ukin (Private name: Sawa; Courtesy name: Bunsoku; Expy: Yu Jin)
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: In the anime, Ukin is the one who fangirls over the Chou Sisters and choreographs the dances used to oppose them.
- The Chick: This is basically Ukin's role when with her two friends Riten and Gakushin.
- Dual Wielding
- Otaku: She has shades of this in the anime.
Ten'i (Private name: Ruru; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Dian Wei)
Characters of the Go (Wu) Kingdom
Sonsaku (Private name: Sheren; Courtesy name: Hakufu; Expy: Sun Ce)
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Evil Aunt - Her mother's sister, Sonsei
- Instrument of Murder - Sonsaku was almost killed by a poisoned blade disguised as a flute.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Killed Off for Real - Visual novels only
- Parental Abandonment - Sonsaku's mom dies early on; while it affects her sisters just as much, Sonsaku has some...issues
- Posthumous Character: In the first Koihime visual novel, she is already dead by the time the events of the story take place and she had such an effect on the main generals of Go that her legacy became the driving force for their bid for conquest.
- Rousing Speech: Manages to address her troops and urge them on to victory even after being seriously wounded. This is, of course, accompanied by suitably awesome music written specifically for that scene.
- Statuesque Stunner: Is noticeably one of the tallest characters in the series and her portraits are drawn in ways that emphasize her legs and chest.
Sonken (Private name: Renfa; Courtesy name: Zhongmou; Expy: Sun Quan)
- Important Haircut: After Sheren dies.
- Tsundere: Towards Kazuto after he proves his worth.
- When She Smiles
- You Are in Command Now: She succeeds the throne of Go after the death of her sister but has no interest in conquest or ruling, which is the Start of Darkness for Meirin.
Sonshoukou (Private name: Shaoren; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Sun Shangxiang)
Shuuyu (Private name: Meirin; Courtesy name: Kokin; Expy: Zhou Yu)
- Back from the Dead: She gets resurrected in the harem ending of the first visual novel and is finally free from the legacy that chained her down throughout the entire plot.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Although nominally Sonsaku's vassal, the fact that Renfa abdicates so much responsibility means that Meirin basically runs the army and resents her for not doing more conquering. Bad move.
- Go Out with a Smile: At the end of the Go route in the visual novel.
- Paper-Thin Disguise - Shuuyu employs this in the first OVA
- The Plan- Shuuyu pulls one off to expose the traitor in Sonsaku's family
- Start of Darkness: Completely driven by Sheren's death to carry out her legacy, she rebels against Sonken and takes control of Go's armies for herself, urged on by Ukitsu.
- Undying Loyalty
Kannei (Private name: Shishun; Courtesy name: Koha; Expy: Gan Ning)
- Hot-Blooded - The most outwardly passionate and aggressive member of the Go faction.
- Proud Warrior Race Girl- As Koumei learned in the anime, question Kannei's loyalty to the Son Clan or her honor as a warrior at your own peril.
Rikuson (Private name: Non; Courtesy name: Hakugen; Expy: Lu Xun)
Daikyou (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Da Qiao)
- Hermaphrodite (SERIOUSLY)
Shoukyou (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Xiao Qiao)
Shuutai (Private name: Minmei; Courtesy name: Youhei; Expy: Zhou Tai)
Kougai (Private name: Sai; Courtesy name: Koufuku; Expy: Huang Gai)
- Adult Child - Can come across like this in the Go route of SKM. At times she can be seen as an adult Rinrin.
- Fake Defector - A la her historical counterpart Kougai feigns defection to Sousou and later sets the latter's ships on fire at the Battle of Red Cliff
Ryomou (Private name: Ashe; Courtesy name: Shimei; Expy: Lu Meng)
Characters of the To Faction
Toutaku (Private name: Yue; Courtesy name: Chuei; Expy: Dong Zhuo)
- Death Faked for You - Two instances: in the first visual novel, where she winds up becoming a Meido in service for Kazuto; in Otome Tairan, using the severed head of Riten-crafted Toutaku-lookalike puppet. In both cases, it's because many lords still want Toutaku's head, regardless of whether she wasn't part of the conspiracy or not.
- Actually, Toutaku wanted to atone for the crimes brought against her, going as far as to declare committing Seppuku in Otome Tairan even if she's given no punishment. The use of the puppet was partly a means to avert that, while the other part was utilizing Toutaku's Queen Incognito tendencies to declare her to be someone else.
- Frameup / Clear My Name - In Otome Tairan, as part of Choujou's and Ukitsu's conspiracy plans, she is taken prisoner, and her kingdom is turned into a dystopian tyrrany while the enslaved subjects are led to believe she's behind all of it. She finally escapes her prison in episode 10, and will try to clear herself and liberate her kingdom starting next episode.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes - Seems to be Toutaku's special technique...it's unbeatable by normal means
- Especially amusing since she's Dong Zhuo's expy, who historically was cruel, tyrannical ruler. Admittingly, her "special technique" is still quite evil
- Queen Incognito - In her first appearance
Kaku (Private name: Ei; Courtesy name: Bunwa; Expy: Jia Xu)
- The Jinx - Ei has very bad luck personally but once a month it extends to everyone around her, especially if you have had looked into her eyes that day. This drops on the Shu generals without warning. Hilarity Ensues.
- In the visual novel, however, this appears to be averted in Kazuto's case and certainly in Totaku's case and, as much as she tries to invoke it on him, the lack of success seems to suggest that people she cares about are exempt.
- Sand In My Eyes - When she discovers that Kayuu is alive after she helps Toutaku and Kaku escape from the capital
- Tsundere - Type A to Kazuto.
Kayuu (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Hua Xiong)
- An Axe to Grind
- Back from the Dead - Somewhat subverted: in Otome Tairan she went MIA after a last ditch battle and was presumed dead (she later revealed that she was eventually captured by the enemy, but was treated well due to her fighting prowess, and because of that she then easily escaped), but turned out to be lurking around In the Hood for a while before making a Big Damn Heroes comeback later on
- Demoted to Extra - Just like the character she is based on, she always dies in each scenario in the first two games. The only time she ever survives is if the player achieves 100% of the endings or if her faction is allied with the player's faction in Shin Koihime. But the worse part? She is the only female character in the series that doesn't get have a sex scene! Poor girl.
- Killed Off for Real - In the first visual novel.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler - In a next episode preview of season one, Kayuu claims the right to announce the episode title because she's going to "die early". In case you didn't know, Hua Xiong did die early in the original epic.
- Put on a Bus - She only makes one small cameo in the third game.
Ryoufu (Private name: Ren; Courtesy name: Hosen; Expy: Lu Bu)
- Arranged Marriage - Ryoufu wants to set one up for her Big Friendly Dog Chouchou.
- Badass Adorable - Ryofu is a innocent and kind hearted person, but she can fight Aisha and Rinrin at once without breaking a sweat.
- The Big Guy - Her stat pentagon in the artbook has her strength at the highest possible level but in other areas, she is weak or average.
- Completely Missing the Point - Never try to argue with, or point something out to Ryofu; she just won't get it.
- Cuteness Proximity - She loves animals and shows her softer side in regards to her pets.
- Other characters are also subject to Cuteness Proximity when close to her. The first visual novel suggests that she is aware of this and consciously exploits it to get food.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Emotionless Girl - Ryoufu's the exact polar opposite of her loud-mouthed, antagonistic character she's based on. Lampshaded by Kazuto, who believes it may be a side effect of the Gender Flip.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Idiot Hair - Sports two ahoges, which is further exaggerated in her Super-Deformed appearance
- Tykebomb - She does not remember where she came from, only that she wandered around China fighting as a soldier before eventually finding her way into Toutaku's army.
Chouryou (Private name: Shia; Courtesy name: Bun'en; Expy: Zhang Liao)
- Blood Knight - Chouryou tends to really enjoy a prolonged fight and gets pissed if she can't finish it properly.
- Boisterous Bruiser - Being The Idiot from Osaka qualifies her as one
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder - Basically joins anyone who defeats her. In the visual novel, defects to Sousou from Toutaku, then defects to Hongou.
- Clothing Damage - In Otome Tairan, after she and Kannu have an intense battle, her Sarashi gets ripped.
- Drunken Master - Although she doesn't really rely on alcohol, Chouryou certainly invokes the image in her first appearance
- The Idiot from Osaka - Less of an idiot, but Chouryou does enjoy drinking, fighting and speaking with a Kansai Regional Accent
- Sarashi - She comes with them included, even when she's dressed as a Meido. In the OVA, she wears it under her jacket (and it even serves as her only upper garment when she carries her jacket slung over her shoulder)
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules! - Chouryou defects against the debt collectors that hire her, because they're simply swindlers and she has her honor
- Spikes of Villainy - Her hairband, though she isn't entirely evil...just doing her job (despite knowingly working for criminals that terrorize civilians.....)
- Stalker with a Crush - In the visual novel towards Kannu after being defeated by her, though in Chouryou's case, there was little, if any, "real" stalking. There's just loads of audacity and obsessing on her part; she even modeled her weapon as a black version of Kannu's own.
- She eventually does this as well in Otome Tairan, and is last seen trying to feed Kannu before being interrupted by Ryuubi.
- To Be a Master - Chouryou has stated that she fights to prove that she is the strongest warrior
- Turn Coat - In the visual novels: for the first game, she starts out in Toutaku's faction, then joined Sousou after being defeated by them, and then joined and stayed with Kazuto's faction after being defeated by Kannu. The same applies to Shin Koihime, but her true allegiance lies with Gi.
- Worthy Opponent - As much as she enjoys fights, Chouryou's only interested in the fair ones or ones that provide a challenge.
Chinkyuu (Private name: Nenene; Courtesy name: Koudai; Expy: Chen Gong)
- Dynamic Entry - Chinkyuu delivers a flying knee drop to Chouhi after an argument at a gift shop in the Shin Koihime anime. Despite seeing her kick someone she met before in an unwarranted way, Ryofu tells her she did the attack wrong
- Taken from the visual novel where she attacks Kazuto with a flaming dive kick when he starts getting too close to Ryofu. She also has a very prominent flipping-the-table-over-type animation.
Characters of the En Faction
Enshou (Private name: Reiha; Courtesy name: Honsho; Expy: Yuan Shao)
- Banana Peel - A whole bunch of them in the OVA
- Hypocritical Humor: She complains constantly about Sousou's verbal sniping and hitting on every girl around her while verbally sniping at her and bragging about her own "skill" with the ladies.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Oh, Crap - In the OVA, when Enshou wins the student council president election, she realizes she has to be kissed by Principal Chousen
- We Have Reserves - Not, unusually, because she's evil. Just stupid and oblivious.
Bunshuu (Private name: Iishe; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Wen Chou)
Ganryou (Private name: Toshi; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Yan Liang)
- Drop the Hammer - her weapon of choice although she is also skilled at unarmed combat.
- Only Sane Man - Especially in the first game, she is the long suffering brake on Enshou's insane arrogance and Bunshuu's carefree attitude. She goes on to commiserate with Gi's straight man, Kakouen.
Enjutsu (Private name: Miu; Courtesy name: Kouro; Expy: Yuan Shu)
- Royal Brat - At her first introduction, when she's so uncaring about her citizens and is only concerned about the perks of royalty. Eventually subverted after she's spooked by a ghost (largely, as she still exhibits bratty tendencies, but not to the same extent as before).
- Hermaphrodite: In the Shin Koihime Musou VN. Nanano is her lover.
- Weight Woe - She's constantly conscious of her figure.
Choukun (Private name: Nanano; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zhang Xun)
The Chou Sisters aka leaders of the Yellow Turban Rebels
Choukaku (Private name: Tenhou; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zhang Jiao)
Chouhou (Private name: Chiihou; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zhang Bao)
Chouryou (Private name: Renhou; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zhang Liang)
The Nanban Barbarians
Moukaku (Private name: Mii; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Meng Huo)
- Bishie Sparkle: When Ashe get's her glasses cleaned she is unable to look at him due to his shininess reflecting on her glasses.
- Badass Normal: Was able to take down a motherf***ing dragon with some faceless soldiers.
- Chick Magnet
- Cipher Scything: Does not exist in the Animated Adaptations
- Chivalrous Pervert: Definitely has his perverted side but he's actually very kind to girls.
- The Faceless: Averted: Achieving the harem ending of the first game reveals his face in full, as do a number of scenes in the sequels.
- Fish out of Water
- Heir to the Dojo: The third generation to his kendo-practicing family
- Horrible Judge of Character: Invoked by his allies, but ultimately subverted as this proves to be his trump card.
- Non-Action Guy: Subverted. As Heir to the Dojo, Kazuto's not terrible in an ordinary fight. Unfortunately, he landed in a world full of terrifying superwomen.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Took a Level in Badass: The second game has him becoming a bit more active and less of a doormat to the rest of the girls. He becomes a tactician whose tactics are the basics turned Up to Eleven, and even Sosou finds him interesting from the very start instead of halfway through the game as in the first game.
Kousonsan (Private name: Pairen; Courtesy name: Hakukei; Expy: Gongsun Zan
- Accidental Misnaming - Ryuubi can't remember
- Ascended Extra - Started as a minor character in the first game.
Chousen (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Diao Chan)
- Berserk Button - Whatever you do, don't tell him he's not pretty; he doesn't take that very well
- Chekhov's Gunman - In the first game, he turns out to have a major role in the universe Kazuto ended up in, and also has a lot involvement with Ukitsu and Saji
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He acts like an idiot half the time, but he's actually incredibly strong.
- Macho Camp
- Norio Wakamoto (My God...)
Kada Genka (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Hua Tuo)
- Bishounen: The only guy who's actually "pleasant to the eye" to your normal viewers.
- Catch Phrase - "BE HEALTHY!"/"GENKI NI NARE!!"
- Combat Medic - While he's primarily a doctor, he does kick some ass in the final battle of Otome Tairan
- Large Ham: THE WAY OF THE FIVE GRAINS!!
- Mundane Made Awesome - Kata's acupuncture treatment of Chouhi acquires all the flair and drama of a Goldion Hammer deployment.
- Nobuyuki Hiyama - There's a reason why Kada is a walking Shout-Out to Gai.
- The One Guy - During the Shin Koihime anime finale, and again in the Otome Tairan finale.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! - Kada insists the name of the guild he's affiliated with be called out in the loudest and most dramatic fashion every time. Lampshaded in the following dialogue:Koumei: Kada? Of The Way of the Five Grains?Kada: NO!Girls: Eh?Kada: It's THE WAY OF FIVE GRAINS!!Girls: Oh.Kada: It's very important to give it appropriate emphasis.Koumei: I-I'll remember that...Kannu: So, Shuri, what is the Way... I mean, THE WAY OF FIVE GRAINS!! all about?
Himiko (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Himiko/Pimiko)
Riri (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Xu)
- Canon Foreigner - Debatable since Huang Zhong, of whom Kouchuu is an expy of, did have a son who died young while serving Shoku
Saji (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zuo Ci)
- Armed Legs - Saji's kicks are akin to a blade cutting through grass. Kazuto states he kicks fast and hard, and when he's mad he'll aim for vital organs.
Ukitsu (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Yu Ji)
- Evil Laugh
- Evil Sorcerer
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Invincible Villain - Only the "invincible" part: he can only be killed by Ryuubi's new sword, but brushes off any other weapon, like he did with Kouchuu's arrow. Otherwise he's not as boring as most Invincible Villain types
- No Body Left Behind - After he is stabbed by Ryuubi with her sword, his body crumbles to dust before he even loses consciousness
- Takehito Koyasu
Choujou (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Zhang Rang)
- Evil Laugh
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: after Toutaku escapes from him, he gets turned into a mouse by Ukitsu.
- Not quite; he still had a use, as Ukitsu's spy, letting Ukitsu learn of the heroines' plan of attack.
Shibaki (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: Suikyou; Expy: Sima Hui)
Kashin (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: Suikou; Expy: He Jin)
- Cat Girl - In Otome Tairan, Kashin's suddenly growing cat ears by means to usurp her from her position. Apparently, it turns her into such a ridiculous, cute form it causes the loss of respect from her subordinates, and it doesn't help when she seeks the help of Kannu and her comrades, she ends up getting laughed at. And Kashin HATES cats, and if she isn't cured soon, she'll eventually turn into one completely