open/close all folders
Earth Defense Force: GGG
Also known as "3G". This is an internationally classified military defense program founded after the appearance of alien EI-01, secretly backed by the governments from across the globe, and the global powerhouses in space technology. Including Japan's Space Development Corporation, America's NASA, China's Scientific Aeronautics Division, and France. The story focuses on the central base of the GGG force, which is stationed in Japan. Their official military title was originally Gutsy Geoid Guard, based undersea at a man-made island near Tokyo called G-Island, then they upgraded into Gutsy Galaxy Guard, switching their base to the outskirts of Earth.
and later, Evoluder Guy, is the main protagonist in the series. Guy was originally a New Meat astronaut working for the Space Development Corporation, but was fatally injured by El-01 during one of his space missions, but was lucky enough to be saved by Galion and was found in a coma holding a G-Stone. In order to keep his life, his father turned him into a cyborg, and used the G-stone Guy was holding as Guy's main life support. Because of his new cyborg body, he is stronger, faster and more durable than any human. Which is why he considers it his responsibility to use his enhanced body to protect humanity with the rest of the GGG. In battle, he can do a fusion with Galeon to form the Super Robot GaiGar, which in turn can do another fusion called the Final Fusion, forming the titular mecha GaoGaiGar. When on foot, Guy has several abilities which he can use to fight enemies hand-to-hand, including his Will Knife and Hyper Mode, the latter which can be activated for two minutes at a time to make Guy even stronger and faster during the timeframe.
- Ace Pilot
- Awesome Mc Coolname: His name translates into "triumphant lion king."
- Big Brother Instinct: Hurting or threatening Mamoru is a wonderful way to get some super-cyborg fist rammed down your throat.
- Big Eater: There's an occasion where, when he and Mikoto are on their lunch break, you can see a half-dozen or so empty gyuudon bowls on his side. Apparently, it all gets incinerated inside his body and serves him no nutritional benefit, being entirely for his sanity.
- Bishōnen: He's pretty much one of only two young adult men within the base to be good-looking.
- Boring Invincible Hero: Subverted on several occasions, though he takes it in stride. If anything, he's a case study on why being a cyborg sucks.
- Broken Bird: He was an enthusiastic new astronaut priding to be "The World's Youngest Astronaut" at the age of 18, performing his first ever space mission. Then outer space sent an alien crushing his spaceship, making him Legally Dead note , and became one of the new experiments of classified military technology.
- Celibate Hero: When you're nothing but a head attached to a walking weapon, it's not like you have much of a choice. We do get subtle hints throughout the series that this is a bit of a problem for Guy and Mikoto.
- Subverted after the main run of the series, both Guy and Mikoto become the same species, so it's pretty likely they made up for lost time.
- Costume Tropes: His outer armor can be taken off for him to dress down like your normal young man. Like his eating habits, this too is also for his sanity.
- Cyborg: If it wasn't obvious from his name.
- Drop the Hammer: Goldion Hammer, and in FINAL, Goldion Crusher
- Experienced Protagonist: The series began with Guy a few years in of being GGG's pilot, albeit painstakingly unstable and was in constant need of repair. He was also already an experienced astronaut, only to become a cyborg due to a fatal injury from a space mission.
- Fiery Redhead: As Cyborg Guy. Evoluder Guy has auburn-ish hair.
- The Hero
- Hot-Blooded: To the core. Many would say that Guy is the pinnacle of Nobuyuki Hiyama's Hot-Blooded typecasting.
- Large Ham: Zigzagged — in battle he is the pinnacle of the Screaming Warrior; outside, he's quite a calm man. The best point to see the difference is in FINAL (right at the start of this video).
- Legally Dead: When he was found after the EI-01 incident, in order to save his life using the newly found G-Stone, his Father, Leo Shishioh was forced to submit Guy's death certificate and even hold his son's public burial, so that Leo may proceed in keeping his son's life while at the cost of turning him into an experimental weapon. Even Mikoto was unaware of Guy being alive until Leo found Mikoto sobbing at Guy's grave, and secretly told her about this classified project. This is why Guy is codenamed as "Cyborg Guy" rather than using his real name. note
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He was a short-haired Bishōnen to begin with, but once he became a cyborg, his hair was lengthened to be designed as his supermode battery pack. Once he evolved into an Evoluder, his long hair turned back to average mid-length, but he end up growing his hair back to long length by the time of FINAL.
- Ma'am Shock: Male version. Guy wasn't keen on Mamoru calling him "oji-san" ("Mister") in the first episode, citing that he's only 20. note Mamoru settles on "Guy-nii-chan" ("Big brother Guy", lit.).
- Mad Scientist's Hot Son: Both biologically and literally. He's the biological son of inventor, and GGG's lead mechanical engineer, Leo Shishioh, and got his good looking genes from his mom. Then when he got fatally injured into near death, his dad kept his life via turning practically more than 95% of his flesh into a walking weapon.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: His first act of business after obtaining Genesic GaoGaiGar.Guy: You 11 Sol Masters. I...Will...Destroy...ALL OF YOU!!!
- Technopath: After becoming an Evoluder. To be blunt, his newly gained superpowers are boiled down to computer programming, hacking, and breathe in space.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Given to Palparepa during the climax of their last battle in FINAL.Guy: The reason you tried to seal off GGG...! The reason you couldn't come close to the G-Crystal...! The reason you isolated GaoFighGar...! The reason you didn't come to directly attack our Earth...! It's all because you feared us! The G-Stone's power can only grow and surpass the power of the Loud G-Stone! This is the energy BORN FROM COURAGE!!
- Unstoppable Rage: Goes into this after fighting EI-03, and would have crushed the core he'd just ripped out (killing the Zonderized human), if Mamoru hadn't gotten there in time. Also towards the end of his fight with the Zonuda, though that's more 'frenzied' than 'rage'.
- We Can Rebuild Him: Primarily by his father. He takes pride in being the "Strongest Cyborg in History".
Mamoru Amami / Latio
Voiced by: Maiko Itou (JP), Veronica Taylor (EN)A young elementary school boy who after the emergence of El-02 and the following Zonder attacks finds himself discovering hidden powers, involving purification of Zonder cores. Unknown to him, he was found aboard Galeon several years before by his adoptive parents, and got taken in as their child. It is later on revealed that he is actually Latio, the biological son of Cain, a biological weapon designed to defeat the Zonders, and the Primevals.
- Badass Adorable: He's able to battle primevals and Zonuda.
- Catch Phrase: "Wah-Ha~!" He caught the influence from his dad.
- Expy: He's the happy kid version of Takeru Myoujin.
- Hair Colors: He is usually brown-haired, but his hair turns green when his powers activate.
- Happily Adopted: He's not initially aware of this.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Although his purification abilities are mainly used to revert Zonderised humans to normal, they can be used as a weapon, as seen in FINAL when he vaporized Pei Le Cain.
- Human Alien
- Kid Hero: He's nine years old when the series start.
- Moses in the Bulrushes
- Puppy Love: There are tons of moments showing a love relationship between him and Hana.
- Hana wears a wedding dress at the end of episode 49 and kissing Mamoru before he left Earth showing how official it is.
- Shounen Hair: Up to Eleven. His hair is a big ball of fluff with its length as long as he is, yet it can stay up-straight all by itself as if it has no gravity problems.
- Took a Level in Badass: In spades. Starts out by flying towards the giant Shinjuku-crushing robot in the first episode, and eventually works his way up to fighting Zonuda alongside Galeon.
Mikoto Utsugi / Zonuda
Voiced by: Tomoe Hanba (JP), Rebecca Soler (EN)Guy's High School Sweetheart (Though she Could Not Spit It Out at the time). As if nearly losing Guy in the EI-01 incident wasn't bad enough, it also landed on her house, killing both her parents. Nonetheless, she has remained loyally at Guy's side through his reconstruction and rehabilitation, and continues to work by his side in the GGG Main Order Room. After the defeat of Z-Master, it's discovered that when Mikoto's house was invaded by EI-01, it implanted her with the seed of a new type of Zonder, the Zonuda, with the power to sublimate technology and absorb energy.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: when she turns into Zonuda, this is what happens.
- Godiva Hair: towards the end of Final, where the Fanservice gets cranked Up to Eleven.
- Girlish Pigtails: She call her hairstyle as, "The Bunny".
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Manchurian Agent
- Mission Control
- Tender Tears: She cries a lot for her man, Guy better be paying her with lots of apologies after each battle.
- Badass Normal: Especially after an episode in which he fought off possessed employees with a golf club. We find out in a Drama CD that he used to lead a Sentai-esque commando team. Yes, he used a golf club as his primary weapon then.
- Benevolent Boss: He cares deeply for every member of his organization, either them be humans, cyborgs, or A.I robots.
- Big Good
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Father to His Men
- Hot-Blooded: Even for a guy who mostly hangs out in the Main Order Room, he manages to pull this off well.
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns
- Large Ham: Almost every single order is done in the most epic way possible.
- Einstein Hair
- Gadgeteer Genius: He designs gadgets ranging from epic super robots for combat, to the wacky little things for his convenience. Like his "hair powder applier", and "Nail-Clipper Robot".
- Do you know how Mikoto's radical Girlish Pigtails were formed? It was done by a type of static-controlling hairband to make her hair "stick" evenly onto those bands and form whatever hairstyle she can dream of. That very hairband was invented by Leo Shishioh, and was sold like hotcakes in public. note
- Gag Nose
- Killed Off for Real: Although he does appear alongside his wife as a Spirit Advisor to Guy shortly after.
- Especially jarring for an anime example. It only had a muddled Foreshadowing, happened within seconds, and he was stuck in such a situation, with such a short time frame, that the only thing a genius like him could was to scream "NOOO!" First-time viewers WILL be caught off-guard.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: While he and Liger are different age, they look like identical twins. Despite their clothing, the only way to tell them apart seems to be that Leo has thin eyebrows and large mustache, Liger's are other way around.
- May–December Romance: It's implied via Leo's flashback that he and his wife, Kizuna are this.
- Mission Control: In Main Order Room, of course, but prior to the events of the TV show he gave orders to the special commando team ID5, which Taiga and Hyuuma were once part of.
- The Professor
- Sibling Rivalry: His relationships with his brother Liger could be a bit less of an insult war at times.
- The Smart Guy
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: And he should thank his wife for giving their son her looks.
Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata (JP)GGG America's lead mechanical engineer. He's the elder brother of Leo Shishioh, uncle of Guy Shishioh, and Father to Renais Cardiff Shishioh.
- Badass Grandpa: He's technically older than Leo, but he still dresses like a teenage rockstar.
- Cool Shades
- Gag Nose
- Rocket Punch: The hand doesn't come off, but he still uses a rocket booster to give his brother a
- Sibling Rivalry: As mentioned above with Leo.
- The Smart Guy
- A Glass in the Hand: A Running Gag involves him crushing his communicators. (He actually carries several in his vest.)
- Manly Gay: Looks the part, but his sexual orientation is never even remotely hinted at.
- Hot-Blooded: Perhaps even rivaling Guy's. However, he's also 3G's mission planner and keeps a cool analytical mind in this capacity.
- The Big Guy: Barring Guy and perhaps Mamoru, he is the only major human(oid) member of 3G that does any form of direct fighting (and trained Hyoryu and Enryu as well). Justified, in that he has a a military background and 3G seems to consist of mostly civilians.
- When we last see him in FINAL, he's in space, and has prepared for it by wearing a helmet. Only the helmet. Aside from that, he's dressed normally and flexing his bare muscles in the vacuum of space.
- Moreso than Taiga, you can believe this guy used to be Silver Puma in the special commando team ID5.
- The Strategist: Hyuuma's official position in 3G is "mission strategist", not "Muscles McMuscles".
- Genius Slob: His only really negative character trait. The guy's lack of hygiene is pretty noticeable.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Papillion's death in FINAL hit him pretty hard.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Tends to act this way towards Volfogg. It's believed that he was friends with the dead agent Volfogg's Super AI was based on - this explains why Volfogg's death against Penchinon hits him so hard.
- Improbably High I.Q.: Officially 300. Although it seems his father programmed Bay Tower Base's main systems, Kousuke did everything else. Alone.
- Mission Control: Although he generally only communicates directly with Volfogg (who belongs to GGG Intel and is, at least technically, a subordinate).
- Tragic Keepsake: The large bow Papillon places in his hair.
- Ugly Guy Hot Girl: Just how did he get Papillon?
- Workaholic: to the point that he sleeps better in the base than at home.
Voiced by: Hiroaki Ishikawa (JP), Marc Thompson (EN)GGG's Mechanic Operator, and is in charge of repairs and maintenance. Tends to be more of a background character than the other main GGG characters.
- Animal Theme Naming: He has the surname of "Ox Mountain."
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Eyes Always Shut
- Mission Control: To the point where if he leaves the base, it's because he's not working, or someone dragged him.
- And then he goes and drives Drill Gao into battle.
- Stout Strength: Aversion - he's big and a bit wide, but is of average strength and health. (Hyuuma frequently tells him to work out more, in fact.)
- The Caretaker: Seems to be taking care of his three younger brothers, in the absence of any parents, and they are luckily never the source of angst for him. Otherwise, this is his basic job description towards the Yuusha Corps as well, and at one point we see him watering the plants in the background of Main Order Room.
Voiced by: Miki Narahashi (JP), Erica Schroeder (EN)A GGG America's operative stationed in GGG Japan, and holds the right to access the most crucial operation command under Commander Taiga.
- Animal Theme Naming: What do you think her name implies?
- Buxom Is Better
- Christmas Cake: Her age isn't given, but she (jokingly, to Mikoto) considers the 20-year-old Guy as too young to go after.
- Cool Big Sis: To Mikoto and occasionally Mamoru.
- Dumb Blonde: Subverted, she is actually rather competent and is officially Dr. Leo's assistant.
- Foreign Fanservice: She is a very good looking woman, but her Engrish gets to incredible levels at times.
- Gratuitous English: Along with an accent.
- Mission Control: Notably fills in for Mikoto in episode 18, doing the Final Fusion sequence in her place.
Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata (JP)Chief engineer for the Mic Sounders series, and an operative for GGG America. He's the elder brother of Swan White.
- Animal Theme Naming: Of all living things, he is named after "a white male horse".
- Big Brother Instinct: It's so strong that it can override Mic Sounders' (whose AI was based on him in a manner similar to Goldy Marg and Hyuuma) System Protection and allow Mic to use System Change when Swan is in danger.
- Bishōnen: Aside from Guy, Stallion's the only other man with pretty facial features.
- Gratuitous English: And he too plays with an accent.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Naka (JP)Chief of GGG China, and lead developer of Twin A.Is Fuuryu and Rairyu.
- Asian and Nerdy: Even though GGG Japan's Leo and Liger are as Asian and nerdy as Long-Li, but Long-Li's mindset is less flexible compare to them when it comes to socialization.
- Chinese with Chopper Support: GGG China's base has the backup and protection from their military and government in their utmost classical fashion, obviously.
- Expy: Of Gendo Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may be very prideful and demeaning of others, but he's willing to soften himself up to adapt new philosophies, and has the heart to do the right things for the right people.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: He turns them on sometimes when he's in the mood to be sinister.
- Spock Speak
An extraterrestrial robotic lion who saved Guy's life following his encounter with EI-01 and brought Mamoru to his foster parents. Galeon was originally created by Cain as an 'anti-program' to counteract the 11 Sol Masters, but was reprogrammed and tasked with protecting Cain's son Latio (Mamoru), following the mechanization of the Green Planet.Galeon is able to fuse with Guy to form the mechanoid GaiGar, and form the titular GaoGaiGar through Final Fusion with the Gao Machines. In FINAL, with it's original program restored, Galeon is able to combine with Evoluder Guy and the Genesic Machines to form the God of Destruction, Genesic GaoGaiGar.
- Animal Mecha
- Black Box: On Galeon's back, containing information about G-Stone based technology, used as the basis for most of the robots in the cast.
- Combining Mecha
- Noisy Nature
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The Amamis refer to Galeon as the "North Pole Lion", due to the circumstances under which they first met him (it wouldn't be surprising if the rest of the world did until GGG went public).
- Papa Wolf: If Galeon senses that Mamoru is in trouble, he'll go help him. And actually hurting him will result in general rage. Kill him, and no god can help you.
- Transforming Mecha
Hyoryu & Enryu / Chouryujin
Voiced by: Shinichi Yamada (JP)Hyoryu (Ice Dragon) and Enryu (Fire Dragon) are a pair of highly-advanced AI's developed by GGG, and installed in a pair of Transforming bodies; a Crane and Firetruck respectively. When the two brothers' sympa-rates reach 100%, they are both able to combine their bodies via Symmetrical Docking and merge into Chouryujin (Super Dragon God).Hyoryu's the elder twin using a high tender voice, while Enryu's the younger twin using a coarser voice.
- An Ice Person: Hyoryu weapons.
- Attack Reflector / Catch and Return: Enryu Mirror Shield.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Choryujin's name literall means Super Dragon God!
- Chest Blaster: Chest Thriller/Warmer, cold and hot respectively.
- Also, SUPERNOVA!!
- Combining Mecha: "Symmetrical Docking!" Note that Chouryujin's personality seems to be Hyoryu's expression (relatively polite) with Enryu thinking ("I'm gonna stop that meteorite WITH MA CHEST!").
- Heroic Sacrifice: Chouryujin primary objective is saving lives - if his life is all it takes to save a few lives, he'll deflect meteorites with his body.
- Historical In-Joke: Chouryujin killed the dinosaurs!
- Hot-Blooded: Enryu is, but Hyoryu's closer to The Stoic. (They have a scene where they, twin robots that literally grew up together, argue about this in regard to which one of them is better suited to protecting Mamoru.note )
- Playing with Fire: Enryu weapons.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hyoryu being the blue one and Enryu being the red one.
- Running Gag: Enryu never seems to be able to land properly. Eventually he just rolls with it, ultimately getting so good at it that he can catch a falling Eiffel tower lift while landing.
- The Slow Path: How they come back from one Heroic Sacrifice.
- Taking You with Me: SUPERNOVA's very powerful, but it requires the brothers to turn their ChestBlasters to "infinite" at point-blank range, forcing a win through temperature shock. But they don't walk away from it...
- Transforming Mecha
Fuuryu & Rairyu / Gekiryujin
Voiced by: Shinichi Yamada (JP)Fuuryu (Wind Dragon) and Rairyu (Thunder Dragon) are brother machines to Hyoryu and Enryu developed by GGG China. Their vehicle forms are a Cement Mixer and Dump Truck respectively, and by default, they would perform the symmetrical dock with each other forming Gekiryujin (Assault Dragon God). When enhanced by THE POWER, they would be able to perform cross-symmetrical docks with their Japanese brothers to form Genryujin (Mystical Dragon God) note , and Gouryujin (Strong Dragon God). note Fuuryu's the elder twin using a proper high pitch voice, while Rairyu's the younger twin using lower coarse voice. Both of them have a prideful yet obedient personality, but they softened up and became very polite once they got the hang of their Japanese brothers' way of socialization.
- Arm Cannon: Fuuryu mixer barrel cover's Gekiryujin (and Gouryujin)'s arm.
- Blow You Away: Fuuryu
- Combining Mecha: Although unlike Choryujin, Gekiryujin seems to have Fuuryu's thinking with Rairyu's expression - he has a cool head, but is a little rude.
- Hot Wings: Shan Tou Long / Maximum Tou Long
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Fuuryu's the blue oni, Rairyu's the red oni.
- Running Gag: Enryu's problem carries over to Rairyu.
- Shock and Awe: Rairyu
- Sky Surfing: Rairyu rides his dumper to fly.
- Which is ironic considering he's shown to be just as incompetent as Enryu at landing.
- Spock Speak
- Taking You with Me: Apparently, Gekiryujin's been carrying around a powerful self-destruct device in his left shoulder. He uses this, in a Shout-Out to Getter Robo, to destroy Pechulron in FINAL.
- Transforming Mecha
- Wind is Green: Fuuryu, natch.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP)An AI Robot developed for GGG intelligence and assigned to protect Mamoru in battle. Can combine with the vehicles GunGrue and GunDober to form Big Volfogg.
- Back from the Dead: Volfogg's AI is based off of an intelligence agent who was killed before the start of the series.
- Badass Arm-Fold: Probably his signature stance, even his transformation sequences tend to end with it!
- Combining Mecha: With the Gun Machines into Big Volfogg, who is much more suited to direct combat. (Unlike the other Yuusha Corps, they are the same person and not a gestalt personality.)
- Helicopter Blender: Big Volfogg's Murasame Sword. Justified, as it's purpose-made and he's coating them with Mirror Particles during use - enough that it can double as a shield in a pinch.
- Ninja: Justified, as he actually belongs to GGG's intelligence department and was designed around intelligence gathering and recon. (In practice, Volfogg is closer to Real Life ninja while Big Volfogg resembles a fictional one.)
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Almost literally even, since he is a ninja police robot (and comes back from the dead a couple of times...).
- The Stoic
- Transforming Mecha
Mic Sounders the 13th
Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata (JP)A robot developed by GGG America. His default form has the appearance of a gigantic toy robot, gleefully serving as a transportation ship for GGG members to fly around town. But when things get serious, he would be able to transform into a badass rocker robot shooting out sound waves to distraught or destroy his enemies depending on what "music disc" he's playing. His AI was based on Stallion White.
- Gratuitous English
- Lethal Joke Character: Contrary to show tradition, he is introduced as pretty goofy and completely harmless (his Cosmo Robo form), but he gets his own first Crowning Moment of Awesome by the next episode after his first System Change (into his Boom Robo form).
- Justified by his Boom Robo form being so powerful - his Cosmo Robo form is a Power Limiter.
- Cosmo Robo isn't completely useless - he can fly and hover in midair, and is able to ferry people to and from Orbit Base. In battle, though, even the Pliers are more effective.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His moveset. Without using special disks (stored in his flying platform "Studio 7" and inserted into the disk player in his chest), he can manipulate sound to have physical effects. With disks, he can do things like shatter objects by manipulating their specific frequencies - up to and including the Earth.
- The Power of Rock / Musical Assassin - Plenty of both, since he can both use his music to empower the heroes or weaken the enemy.
- There's a scene, just before GGG leaves for Jupiter, where he's playing in a concert for the Orbit Base staff.
- Primary-Color Champion: There's no better way to show the world that he's "Made In USA".
- Unseen Prototype: Averted. Later on in the series we get to see the other 12 Mic Sounders robots.
- Verbal Tic: "DA-MON-NE~!" "NE~!" when he's in his Cosmo mode, then "DA-ZEE!" "ZE!" for his Boom mode.
- Wingding Eyes: From wacky text to slot machine, his Cosmo Form has this huge screen for his eyes to let him play with all kinds of fun emotions.
Part of a system designed to protect Gao Gai Gar from the effects of the Goldion Hammer. Goldy Marg was built to carry the Hammer, which is incorporated into his construction, into battle. As he's built specifically to withstand the power of the Goldion Hammer, Goldymarg is the toughest and strongest of the GGG robots. Given the short time of his creation, his AI was based on Geki Hyuuma rather than being developed from scratch like the others.
- The Big Guy: Has no weapons other than his fists and his nigh-indestructible body in mechanoid form. Knows how to use them. Only King J-Der is physically stronger than he is.
- Not entirely true. The base of his hammer is also a laser cannon. He rarely ever needs it, though, preferring the direct approach.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Drop the Hammer: Hell, he is the Hammer!
- Genius Bruiser: It doesn't come up much (Goldy's very much aware that he's the Finishing Move), but he IS based on GGG's mission planner. He does exactly the right thing when the 31 Primevals attack Orbit Base, for example.
- Go Out with a Smile: Even though he doesn't have a mouth, in the last episode of FINAL, after Pisa Sol is destroyed, one could tell he was smiling before the screen faded to white.
- Hot-Blooded: Well, his personality IS based on Geki Hyuuma, so...
- Swiss Army Weapon: The handle of the Goldion Hammer is the barrel of his tank form's gun. The tires of his tank form produce (Mirror particle?) 'nails' in hand form.
- Tank Goodness: His vehicle form is that of a tank.
Other Characters from GaoGaiGar
Isamu and Ai Amami
Voiced by: Kozo Shioya (Isamu, JP), Ed Paul (Isamu, EN), Sayuri (Ai, JP), Eileen Stevens (Ai, EN)Mamoru's adoptive parents. Isamu works at the Space Development Corporation note while Ai is a stay-at-home mother. They tend to fret a bit when Mamoru might be in trouble.
- Catch Phrase: "Wah-Ha~!" It runs in the family.
- Drives Like Crazy: Daddy Isamu would flip in happiness to welcome his son back home albeit by drifting and destroying their mail post.
- Good Parents: Basically, they're the Japanese Kents: they lovingly raised a boy from another world as their own, who'd later become the savior of mankind. Hell, they even named him Mamoru, which means "to protect", it's obvious they were raising him to be a good boy.
- Muggle Foster Parents: And, as far as Mamoru is concerned, they are his parents.
Voiced by: Konami Yoshida (JP), Eileen Stevens (EN)Mamoru's classmate who has a long-standing (mutual!) crush on him. Tends to get caught up in Zonder attacks throughout the show.
- Catch Phrase: "Kowakunai, Kowakunai..." ("I'm not scared, I'm not scared...") Mamoru taught it to her, back in Hokkaido. Given the dangers she often faces, it's more of a Survival Mantra.
- Badass Creed: Hits a climax when she attacks the Zonderized Assistant Principal on her own.
- Cry Cute: Several times.
- Distressed Damsel: Poor girl.
- Dog Walks You: Played as a Running Gag. Justified by Yosef being at least twice Hana's size. She has better luck with Yosef's puppies in FINAL - but there's a whole pack of them!
- Nice Girl: She's a very kind child.
- Puppy Love: Hana and Mamoru have a Childhood Marriage Promise dating back to when they lived in Hokkaido (4 years before the series started). They make good on it in the last episode.
- Weirdness Magnet: At times, it's like the Zonders have their eye on her rather than Mamoru. (Luckily, at no point do they seem to be aware of her connection to Mamoru.)
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair: Her parents have normal hair colors, too.
Sueo "Ushii" Ushiyama
Voiced by: Hiroaki Ishikawa (JP)Another classmate of Mamoru and the youngest brother of Kazuo.
- Animal Theme Naming: His family holds the surname of "Ox Mountain," and his friends uses the Affectionate Nickname of "Ushii" on him.
- The Big Guy: Subversion - while he's definitely the largest of Mamoru's friends, his defining trait is his interest in military mechanics (some of which are leaked from his older brother) ...and he's probably not as strong as Reiko.
- Expy: Of Takeshi Goda from Doraemon. But his personality and actions are no way near like a bully, and instead is a rather competent big brother figure towards his friends.
Another of Mamoru's classmates. Comes from a fairly rich family, and has a habit of trying to impress his friends with trendy techs and tales of family trips.
- Expy: Of Suneo Honekawa from Doraemon.
- Hair Flip
- Idle Rich
- Ocular Gushers: resorts to these when either A) Reiko cuts him down a few notches or B) when he's caught up in a Zonder attack.
- Rich Bastard: Shows signs of growing into this. That is, if Reiko hasn't humbled him out of it by then.
Voiced by: Miki Narahashi (JP), Annice Moriarty (EN)Somewhat stuck-up classmate of Mamoru and Hana. Her family is even richer than the Sunous, and she takes great delight in one-upping Sunou or otherwise deflating him whenever he starts bragging.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: We find out in a CD Drama that her father is dead and her family is broke - there's a throwaway line in episode 26 that refers to this, and that may be her cheap apartment that she's in front of in her first FINAL appearance. She hides this from her friends but acts 'rich' for seemingly this trope.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She may detest the weaklings around her and have her own subordinates in school, but she's generally good to those she recognize as her friends from the bottom of her heart.
- The Nicknamer / Fun with Acronyms: Comes up with acronyms for just about anybody. Especially attractive males.
- Super-Strong Child: Hoists up Mamoru, Hana, Takayasu, and Usshii all at once as they attempt to save Hana dropping into the ocean when they were stuck on EI-02.
- She then had moments where she smashes a full teacher's desk in attempt to break a school window to escape from zonders.
Ikumi Kaidou / Arma
Voiced by: Sayuri (JP)A classmate of Mamoru's who is silent and always seems distant. He does not play a significant role for most of the series but seems to recognize Pizza whenever he appears. As it turns out, Kaidou is in fact an Arma unit from the Red Planet in the Trinary Solar System. The ruler of the Red Planet, Abel, decided that Cain of the Green Planet had the right idea and created an entire army of Soldato J cyborgs along with J-Arks and Armas based on the power of the J-Jewel and genetic data from Latio. Unfortunately they still failed and the Red Planet was Zonderised, but Soldato J No. 002 was able to send his Arma and J-Ark away before the final battle. He landed on Earth where he was found and adopted by a human woman.After Pasder appears, Kaidou's memories of his origin and purpose are restored and he sets to work fulfilling the mission entrusted to him by purifying first Soldato J and then Tomoro-117 in order to reactivate the J-Ark and bring it back to fighting strength.
- Artificial Human: Not especially played up, though.
- Bloody Horror: Only shown as silhouette, but during his first confrontation with Palus Abel in episode 3 of FINAL, his body is completely twisted and mangled by her attack. However, when he is seen later attached to Pia Decem Pit's computer, he seems to be fine.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: A more familial version. Arma avoided becoming too attached to his human classmates and family in order to avoid hurting any of them when he was gone, and to avoid leaving any openings that enemies could exploit. It didn't work - not the first time, anyway.
- Meaningful Name: Arma is Italian for "weapon".
- Override Command: Palus Abel used him to shut down Soldato J's J-Jewel.
- Psychic Powers: The first hint that there's something not quite right about Kaidou is when he starts throwing telekinetic blasts around.
Hana's older middle school female cousin who's into masculine hobbies such as military mechanics, motorbike racing, and professional wrestling.
The wife of Leo Shishioh and Mother of Guy. She was an astronaut presume dead from her crew's fatal space mission to explore Jupiter.
Pasder (EI-01)The original Extraterrestrial Intelligence that landed on Earth at the beginning of the show, hence its designation. Pasder spends the next two years regaining his strength before finally reawakening and summoning four Machine Kings to begin the process of slowly Zonderising the entire planet. As soon as he finds out that Galeon is awake, he orders all four to hunt down and destroy the "Legacy of Cain" (No, not that one) but is ultimately defeated by our heroes with a liberal application of hammer to the face.But here's the kicker - it turns out Pasder is hardly the most powerful opponent GGG has to fight. In fact, he was just a mouthpiece for the 31 Primevals and is later absorbed into the other mouthpiece, Pagliaccio, giving them full knowledge of GGG's fighting strength and tactics.
- Big Bad: Of the first half of the series.
- Disk One Final Boss
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Orcus on His Throne: Doesn't personally take direct action against the GGG, until episode 30.
- Tokyo Tower: After absorbing a large amount of machines, Pasder disappears to hide under Tokyo Tower for 2 years.
Pizza / Soldato J No. 002
Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono (JP)The most aggressive and warlike of the four Machine Kings. His martial pride causes him to clash with Guy at several points throughout the series and eventually causes him to remember details of his past. Pizza was originally one of the cyborg soldiers of the Red Planet, in the Trinary Solar System, who fought against the 31 Primevals but was forced to flee into the wastelands where he was found by Pinchernone and turned into a Zonderian. After remembering his old principles and pride he sacrifices himself to save Guy, and is eventually purified and resurrected as Soldato J.
- Big Damn Heroes: Just when GaoGaiGar is on its knees and about to be torn limb from limb by three of the Primevals, the J-Ark shows up out of nowhere and blasts two of them to smithereens in the space of about a minute.
- Cool Mask
- Cool Plane: His victims usually employ a sky motif while he himself uses one in the final clash between 3G and the zonderians in Tokyo city.
- Cool Starship: J-Bird and J-Ark
- The Dragon
- Expy: Of Cyborg 002.
- Fallen Hero: For the first half, but he eventually manages to pull himself back up.
- Gag Nose
- Heel–Face Turn: Noticable since he did his Heel–Face Turn before being purified by Arma.
- The Rival: To Guy
- Sixth Ranger
- That Man Is DeadMamoru: You're Pizza of the Four Machine Kings!Soldato-J: That was a false name! The man named Pizza is dead! I am J. Reborn by the J-jewel as Soldato-J!
Pinchernone (pronounced Penchinon) / Tomoro-117The insidious and calculating member of the Machine Kings, Pinchernone is best known for his sailor uniform/Monster Clown outfit and his downright creepy laugh. He serves as another foil for Pizza, whom he works most often with, and the two could almost be considered friends, if machine lifeforms can have friends. Pinchernone also develops a rivalry of sorts with Volfogg. Later it is revealed that he was once Tomoro-117, the main computer of the J-Ark, which was zonderised during the 31 Primevals' invasion of the Red Planet, forcing J to fight on foot. Unable to defeat the Arm Primeval, J fled into the wastelands where he was found by Pinchernone and became the Machine King Pizza.As Tomoro-117 he is very precise, efficient, and unflinchingly loyal to both J and Arma, and proves to be instrumental in defeating the Z-Master. In FINAL, he uses the last of the J-Ark's ES-Missiles to allow Genesic GaoGaiGar to reach the PasQ Machine and destroy the replica of the Trinary Solar System.
- A.I. is a Crapshoot: He IS a zonderized computer, after all. He gets better after purification, though.
- The Brute: When the Zondarians take direct action and turn themselves into Zonder Robos, he's just about had it with Volfogg...
- Cool Boat: His victims usually have some kind of naval motif, and his zonderian form is that of a huge ship. Same goes for the J-Ark too, since his purified form is it's main computer.
- Cool Starship - he becomes the main computer for one after his purification.
- Evil Laugh: BRRREEEEEEEEE!
- Heel–Face Turn: Like Soldat J, he gets purified by Arma.
- Humanoid Abomination: He looks like a person. Barely. Is always shown sitting, even as he falls through the sky. The general impression is, he doesn't look human and doesn't get how to well enough for Uncanny Valley to apply. Also: BRRRREEEEEEEE~!note
PrimadaThe most outgoing and playful of the four Machine Kings. Primada usually appears as a ballerina with clothes made of car parts, and is almost always dancing in her on-screen appearances. As part of Pasder's final plan, she and Polonaise form a gigantic energy generator to power the Zonder Metal Plant. She is killed by exposure to the G-Stone energies from ChoRyuJin's exposed GS Ride. It's vaguely hinted that Primada and Polonaise were married before they became Zonderians. Interestingly, many Zonderians resembling Primada can be seen in the background during the flashback of the Red Planet being Zonderised.
- Cool Car / Cool Bike: She employs a road motif with her zonderised victims, who usually take the form of such vehicles.
- The Dark Chick
- Turned An Ascended Fanboy Into A Zonder Robo
PolonaiseOften taking the human form of a silent old train conductor, Polonaise is the most unassuming of the four Machine Kings. As part of Pasder's final plan, he and Primada form a gigantic energy generator to power the Zonder Metal Plant. He is killed when GaoGaiGar injures him severely, followed by his purification by Mamoru.
- Cool Train: Polonaise favours a train motif in a majority of his victims.
- Death Equals Redemption: He dies right after his purification, with a delighted smile on his face. Apparently both he and Primarda were Zondarians for too long...
- Evil Genius
PagliaccioA seemingly robotic clown who gives orders to the 31 Primevals. Pagliaccio is actually a "terminal program" created by the most powerful of them all, the Heart Primeval, in order to gather intelligence on Earth and direct the actions of the others. It is seen absorbing Pasder at the conclusion of the battle and eventually starts analyzing THE POWER so that the Primevals can take it for themselves. Oddly, neither GGG nor the J warriors take note of its presence.
- Big Bad: For the second half.
- Creepy Monotone: Not helped by her spouting only situational and combat data.
- Villainous Harlequin
Arm PrimevalOne of the 31 Primevals, and the one that gets the most screentime.
- Beard of Evil
- The Dragon: To Pagliaccio and Heart Primeval. May also qualify as The Heavy, since he is the most active of the Primevals.
- Gravity Master: He can create and control gravity shockwaves with surprising precision, to the point that he claims that they're "undodgeable".
- Morphic Resonance: All of the forms he takes has a huge arm.
- Red Right Hand: Almost literally: his right arm is huge.
- Tin Tyrant: Briefly appears as one during a flashback to a fight between him and Soldat-J.
The Z-MasterThe combined form of the 31 Primevals and the master program controlling every Zonder Metal and Zonder lifeform in the universe (except the Zonuda). It was originally created by the Purple Planet to eliminate stress and negativity. However, it decided that the best way to do so would be to absorb all life into itself. Not only does it have full knowledge of GGG's tactics and capabilities thanks to the efforts of the Primevals, but it is able to attach itself to Jupiter and drain THE POWER, making it all but invincible.
GaoGaiGar FINAL Characters
Renais Cardiff Shishioh
Voiced by: Yumi Kakazu (JP)The daughter of Liger Shishioh and Guy's first cousin, she's a rogue agent of the high-tech criminal organizatin BioNet. When she was young, her mother was murdered by BioNet agents, and Renais was forcibly turned into a cyborg and made into one of their agents. She didn't take it so well, and turned on her captors. She was restrained and left in a BioNet facility to die until she was discovered and rescued by her Father. Liger was able to repair her though the use of a GS Ride added to her systems, but could not solve a critical flaw in her construction: a severe overheating that requires her to wear a cooling jacket. In order to get revenge for the death of her mother, Renais joined GGG France (Chasseur).
- Action Girl
- AntiHeroine: She's gruff, anti-social, and blows away Gimlet and then crushes his head after he's been beaten by GaoFighGar
- Battle Couple: With J, eventually
- Combat Pragmatist: Just like her cousin.
- Fair Cop
- Gratuitous French
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Unlike Guy and J she prefers to use firearms, with a shotgun appearing to be her favorite.
- Parental Neglect: Implied. Her relationship with Liger isn't as warm as Guy and Leo's.
- Phlebotinum Rebel: Didn't work out so well for her for a while.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Renais/Renee/Rune/Lune Cardiff/Cerdiff/Kirdif. The eyecatch at the end of Final 06 romanizes it as "Renais Kerdif Shishioh"
- We Can Rebuild Him: Unlike with Guy, this was done against her will. The first time was by BioNet, then again by Liger.
- Younger Than They Look: She would be in high-school if she hadn't been cyborged.
Kouryu & Anryu / Tenryujin
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (JP)Kouryu (Light Dragon) and Anryu (Dark Dragon) are twin sister machines developed by GGG France with the same lineup as their four Dragon Brothers. Their alt-forms are a MASER truck and MLRS Launcher truck respectively.
- Call Back: Tenryujin's "Dance of Light and Dark" is based on an attack Pasder used in Part 1, and she uses an attack called "Projectile/Bullet X Lite" to take out Puranus.
- Combining Mecha: A more feminine example, although couldn't combine with the others because of their designs.
- Dual Wielding
- Guile Heroine: During Tenryujin's "Dance of Light And Dark", she essentually waits in the shadows, taunting the opponent and misdirecting them until she can move in for the Finishing Move.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Puranus. Doesn't take.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Tenryujin acknowledges the massive amount of computational power that would be required to make her strongest attacks work.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: In a similar notion to their brothers, Kouryu and Anryu have rather polarising personalities, with Kouryu being more of The Cutie Genki Girl whereas Anryu is the more like a Dark Action Girl minus the bad personality mixed with a hint of tomboyishness.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Anryu carries an impressive 210 missiles.
- Mega Manning: Guess where they got the data necessary to make her strongest attacks work properly. Come on, just guess.
- Reflecting Laser: Tenryujin's Dance of Light and Dark. Justified in that she provides the reflective surfaces.
- Running Gag: Kouryu is just like her brothers, Enryu and Rairyu. She's actually shown also having problems with a flight pack.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Anryu's tomboy and Kouryu's girly girl
- Transforming Mecha
Voiced by: Ayako KawasumiA bioengineer who has been assigned to the Main Order Room in-between the events of GGG and FINAL. She's the Love Interest of Kousuke Entouji.
- The Aloner: Her replicant is the only human one left when GGG arrives. The rest dissolved early on.
- Back from the Dead: Subverted in that the Papillon encountered on repli-Earth is actually a replicant of the real Papillon. After the destruction of Pisa Sol, she fades away with the rest of its creations.
- Cloning Blues: Her replicant suffers from this when meeting GGG for the first time on Repli-Earth. They snap her out of it almost immediately
- Dark Skinned Cyan Head Has the appearance, but the not personality.
- Foreign Fanservice: She's from the Amazon.
- Hair Decorations: Not her, but she puts one in Kousuke's hair. He leaves it there for the entirety of Final.
- Hot-Blooded: Averted/Inverted like the rest of the new GGG members. In her case, she always speaks in a gentle, level tone.
- Hot Scientist: She's a bioengineer.
- Shared Universe: [[spoiler:She's originally from Betterman, or at the very least, her ability is from Betterman.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Downplayed, but she seems to have a thing for mushrooms.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
- You Gotta Have Cyan Hair
Professor TakanohashiOne of the world's top 10 scientists, he has been assigned to the Main Order Room in-between the events of GGG and FINAL. He takes up the late Professor Leo Shishio's place
- Wholesome Crossdresser: In one part of his introduction montage, He appears in an stereotypical hawaiian-girl Coconut-shell and grass-skirt outfit.
Chief YaginumaThe replacement for Chief Taiga after he returned to his job as Company President.
Rose AprovalSecretary General of the U.N.
GimletA member of Bionet
The 11 Planetary Masters of Sol
A group of programs given material form, tasked with restoring the Trinary System upon the destruction of the Z-Master. However, they too exceeded their original programming and set about creating a new universe by draining this one's dark matter, causing it to begin to collapse. They are the main antagonists in FINAL.
- A.I. is a Crapshoot
- Attack Its Weak Point: Their Loud G-Stone. While Pisa Sol can regenerate them after this, it seems that if it weren't for her, destroying this would destroy them for good. Pisa Sol can be considered one for the whole group, as destroying her took all the replica Sol Lords with her.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: They fail to take the power of courage into account when facing GGG, which ultimately leads to their downfall. In fact, it's implied they fear it because it allows the G-Stone to surpass the power of their Loud G-Stones.
- Evil Counterpart
- Good Thing You Can Heal
- Healing Factor
- Knight of Cerebus: By far the most powerful and efficient enemies of the entire series. to put it simple, every little victory GGG manages to get during FINAL is quickly followed by a huge defeat at their hands.
- Omnicidal Maniacs
- Psycho Rangers
- Theme Naming: Their names all begin with P. Most of them also have names based off planets.
- Toyless Toyline Character: Despite most of them having a mecha form, none of them have ever had toys made of them, not even Palparepa who's got a ton of screen time.
Voiced by: Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP)
- A God Am I
- Deadly Doctor
- Evil Knockoff: Well this is sorta subverted seeing as how GaoGaiGar wasn't even thought up when he and the other Sol Masters where made, making GaoGaiGar and GGG the Evil Knockoff to them! He also has an Attack call God And Devil which is functions the same as Hell and Heaven.
- Eye Scream: Guy finishes him by ripping the Loud G-Stone out of his eye socket.
- Famous Last Words: See below.
- Graceful Loser: He truly believes that only the strongest is allowed to exist, so, when Pisa Sol is destroyed and they start to vanish, he peacefully remarks that as "the law of the material world", accepting the fact that they lost.
- The Heavy: Especially early on in Final where he is responsible for moving the plot along while Palus Abel dicktate things from the shadows.
- Light is Not Good: Has a white mecha and in confrontations with GaoGaiGar is represented by God.
- Social Darwinist
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He is fond of giving these to Guy. He later finds himself on the receiving end of one from Guy in the last episode.
- This Cannot Be!: His reaction to Guy breaking free of his Chemical Bolts and GGG of his Paras Particles.
- Villainous Breakdown: He has a huge one when battling Guy in Japan, even when Guy starts to overcome his power, he gets over it.
Voiced by: Sayuri (JP)
- Big Bad: Of Final, while Palparepa does most of the heavy lifting among the Masters of Sol, Abel is the one leading them all.
- The Chess Master: Abel fancies herself this, commanding the rest of the Sol Masters, despite having no mech form of her own and was able to trash Kaidou easily.
- Evil Knockoff: She's a younger clone of the real Abel.
- Oh, Crap!: Her reaction to being Out-Gambitted.
- Out-Gambitted: Thought she had things won when Pisa Sol replicated the Sol Masters several dozen times each...playing right into the heroes' hands by draining so much of Pisa Sol's energy she had to recharge, leaving her vulnerable to the Goldion Crusher.Abel: It appears you've lost, doesn't it?Soldato-J: You think so?Renais: I knew she wouldn't notice.Abel: (Cue Oh, Crap!)
- Smug Snake: Treats the battle with GGG as a game.
Pei La Cain
Voiced by: Tamio Oouki (JP)
- Evil Knockoff: Of the real Cain.
- Mind Rape: Does this to Guy when Guy and Palperepa were clashing Hell and Heaven against God and Devil, causing Guy, who was matched with Palperepa at that moment, to lose concentration just long enough for him to lose the fight.
- Co Dragon: With Pillnus.
- Grim Reaper
- Sinister Scythe
- Vader Breath: Has no dialogue, except for this. (In fact, when you play his dialogue in SRW Alpha 3, this is all you get.)
Voiced by: Tomoe Hanba (JP)
- Beware My Stinger Tail
- Co Dragon: Seems to share this role with Pia Decem.
- Distracted by the Sexy
- Designated Girl Fight: With Renais.
- Dominatrix: Her personality in a nutshell. She also prefers to bind her opponent with chains.
- Domino Mask
- Psycho Lesbian: She is far too fond of invading Renais' personal space, complete with licking.
- Healing Hands
- Light is Not Good: Is the Sol Master representing the sun.
- Load-Bearing Boss What else would you call someone who, when defeated, causes the UNIVERSE to implode?!
Percurio, P-Vater, Polturn, Puranus & Ptulone
- Blow You Away: Ptulone.
- Designated Fembot Fight: Puranus (against TenRyuJin).
- Dual Wielding: Polturn.
- Chainsaw Evil: P-Vater.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Polturn
- Macross Missile Massacre: Puranus.
- Musical Assassin: Percurio.
- Ninja: Polturn.
- Shields Are Useless: Puranus finds this out the hard way.
- The Brute: P-Vater, before turning into a mech is visibly larger than the rest of the Sol Masters are.
- The Cracker: Polturn.