Characters / Arabian Nights
Princess who saves her people by marrying a mad sultan and charming him with her stories
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Princess: Though more for courage and cunning then for warlike talent per se.
- Beauty Equals Goodness
- Cultured Badass
- Guile Heroine: She converts a tyrant into a benevolent ruler without resort to violence (although it does take 1,001 nights, but he's still prevented from tyrannical behavior in the interim).
- Happily Married: After the 1,001 nights are over, she becomes this to the formerly mad sultan, because after her stories he's genuinely in love with her. Apparently the mad sultan can be quite a good husband when he's not threatening to execute every newlywed for fear of her potentially cheating on him. It may also have helped that he's a friggin' sultan, so she gets quite a bit of power and wealth at the small price of preventing her own execution for over three years first.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Though unlike most examples of this trope, not a lethal one. The "sacrifice" isn't her life; it's her marrying a sultan she knows is a crazy tyrant, thus sacrificing her freedom and peace of mindů because once she marries him and pulls off her gambit to keep herself from being executed, she can keep him from executing any more newlyweds.
- Heroic Spirit: Shehererzade's audacity and sheer nerve for 1001 nights makes her this.
- Holding the Floor: Probably the Ur-Example; all 1,001 stories were made up by her, all to stall the sultan from carrying out her execution.
- Hot Consort
- Iron Lady: With due allowances for limitations by cultural context Scheherazade would qualify quite well for this.
- Jumped at the Call: So she could pull off her plan to stave off the sultan's madness.
- Lady and a Scholar: She was as well read as any scholar.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Intentionally invoked, so she can charm and entrance the sultan into not having anybody else executed.
- Nerves of Steel: No kidding!
- Off With Her Head: Averted.
- Plucky Girl
- Scheherezade Gambit: Trope Namer
- Spirited Young Lady
- The Storyteller: Considering her plan wouldn't have worked if she wasn't a good storyteller...
- Talking in Bed: Storytelling In Bed
Commander of the Faithful in Ye Goode Olde Days
. Appears in many adventures.
Merchant who made incredible amounts of money on various voyages and invites a beggar to his feast to tell him about his adventures.