Captain Obvious: Advertising
- All examples found in advertising campaigns are here!
- An older Allstate ad said "Here's a myth: Nothing bad will ever happen."
- In the commercials for The Book of Eli, the voiceover boasts "Gary Oldman makes a great villain!"
- One of Bud Light's "Real Men of Genius" ads is dedicated to athletes-turned-commentators and mentions their giving such critical information as "The team that scores the most points will win the game". Followed by the rock singer intoning "I did not know that!", and not sounding like he's in Sarcasm Mode.
- An ad for a dietary supplement mentions that "fish oil can have a fishy aftertaste."
- Samsung Galaxy S III, designed for humans. Who would have thought?
- From a commercial for age-defying makeup: "Age spots make you look old."
- From a 50s toy commercial: "Because nothing else is Silly Putty."
- From a 60s toy commercial: "Remember, only G.I. Joe is G.I. Joe."
- From a 80s toy commercial: "Only the Transformers are real Transformers."
- Will Power (yes, that is his real name) opens a commercial with this gem: "In Indy Car racing, it's all about speed!"
- In the flesh, with a catchy jingle to boot.
- Hotels Dot Com:
"All those word are spelled correctly!"
- The company has their own Captain espousing about things in a hotel.
Man locked out of his room: (sarcastically) Thanks, Captain Obvious!Captain Obvious: No need to thank me, since I haven't helped you in the slightest!
- In one commercial, he is subverted when he tells an old lady that her grandson now has an easier time finding hotels. She tells him that he's not her Grandson, he's her lover. The Captain can only blankly stare at the camera for the rest of the commercial.
- In another commercial, we have this exchange: