Awesome: Gears of War
- During the Battle of Aspho Fields in the Pendulum Wars, Marcus hijacks a Indie vehicle that had killed several members of his unit, and proceeds to use it to utterly destroy the attacking Indie forces, allowing the rest of his unit to fall back to the extraction point. He even shoots down a Khimera attack helicopter that was about to kill Dom, Hoffman, and a commando team without even realizing it.
- Marcus' face-to-face encounter with the Corpser at the imulsion facility in Gears 1; it's clearly burning alive in the imulsion and thrashes about trying to climb out; it lunges forward with its massive talons right at Marcus as it tries to escape screeching; what does Marcus do? He stands perfectly still and silent as he watches it die a brutal death.
- "That's one! That's two! THAT'S THREE! THAT'S FOUR! THAT'S FIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS!"
- Made even more awesome if every shot was a headshot and you didn't miss a single shot. (Unlike in the video)
- WHO WANTS TOAST!?
- This line returns in Gears 3. Marcus will sometimes say it while throwing an incendiary grenade.
- "Control, this is Delta. We've hijacked a Brumak so that we can-" "You what?!" "We're riding a Brumak; we're gonna use it to clear the area faster." "Uh... okay..." Best. Level. EVER.
- Marcus finally getting fed up with Griffin's bullshit and verbally thrashing him.
I just lost my fucking brother, alright?! My BROTHER! You, your tower, and all this fuckin Immulsion can GO TO HELL!!
- "Feel that? That's from Dom...and everyone else you killed, you bitch."
- Dom's Heroic Sacrifice is definitely a Tear Jerker, but it is also thoroughly awesome. Just watch the pyrotechnics!
- And on top of everything, an instrumental of Gary Jules version of Mad World plays in the background, which should just be awesome to any old school Gears fan.
- On a meta-level, this role put Carlos Ferro on the videogame map.
- When Augustus Cole "The Cole Train" enters your squad in Gears 2, he does so while the PC(s) are under attack from an ambush above and around them. He chainsaws, shoots and headshots with his Lancer assault rifle those Locust, and sticks a grenade to one of them, killing around 8 enemies by himself.
- This deserves clarification. Five grubs are gunned down before you even see Cole. When he appears on screen, the first chainsaw kill is combined with a linebacker-class sack that flips the disemboweled Locust grunt clear over Cole's head. After that, Cole attaches the grenade to the back of the next grunt he gets within melee range of, and runs right by. He headshots the remaining Locust by the time the grenade goes off.
- Cole showing us just why he's considered one of the best, if not THE best Thrashball player who has ever lived, only it's Lambent he's plowing through instead of people.
- The whole "Delta Squad is in your house, bitch!" has to be the most awesome verbal beating ever. To elaborate: In the heart of the Locust stronghold in the underground city of Nexus, Delta Squad managed to tap into the Locust Queen's broadcasting channel while looking for information, so Cole takes the opportunity to grab the microphone and deliver a loud combination of Badass Boast and death threat...for the entire Locust army to hear. Given that said announcement includes the claim that the Locust are going down so hard, they won't know which way is up, and that they're going to end up running back to their Queen like crying kids, this is equal parts awesome and hilarious.
- Baird manning the gun on the King Raven in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.
- Somehow building a bomb with only a few moments notice, and reacting to the request with a cheerful reply about if Marcus wanted it regular or extra strength.
- Baird stealing the guidance system of a Locust Gas Barge for use in getting to Anvil Gate, having it fully programmed by the time they are able to hijack a working craft. Even Marcus is impressed!
- During his last battle of the Pendulum Wars, Adam snuck across the battlefield with another Gear and tossed molotovs into the vents of a nearly indestructible Indie tank that had been inflicting heavy casualties on his unit.
- Adam's Heroic Sacrifice, which resulted in no less than the extinction of the entire Locust Horde and Lambent and bringing peace to Sera.
- When he executes a Locust when there down, he doesn't use a weapon.He leaps on top of it and begins ''beating on its head until it explodes'.Remember that he isn't even a body builder and was able to take down a full grown alien with his bare hands.
- Defeating the UIR Siege of Anvil Gate. Sure, he faked a surrender and felt terrible about it, but it was a brilliant plan to turn the tide of the UIR's invasion of Kashkur.
- During the climax of Gears of War II, he joins Delta Squad to help drive back the Locust assault long enough for them to put their last-ditch plan into effect, his advanced years notwithstanding. Not bad for a guy who was practically General Ripper towards Marcus in the first game.
Hoffman: (As Marcus and his team are leaving to engage the Locust horde) "Not without me, you aren't! If this is Jacinto's last stand, I'm not sittin' it out."
- Going from a Voice with an Internet Connection to a hardened, badass soldier between GOW 2 and GOW 3.
- Inspiring the creation of the chainsaw bayonet by using a power-saw on a Locust drone.
- His Heroic Sacrifice where he battles Skorge in a one-on-one chainsaw duel, saving Dizzy and the rest of his allies.
- Chairman Prescott's entire speech at the beginning of Act 1 of Gears of War 2. Coupled with scenes of cheering Gears and Stranded loading up for war and some of the best damn music ever, it comes out as a scene that leaves fists pumping.
- "Soon we will have nothing left to defend, and that means we have only one option: attack."
- Taking up arms against the Locust who are about to overrun the orphanage in Ilima, even though he's just a kid and half the size of the Gears coming to his rescue.
- When the King Raven Jace and Delta are flying in in the Hollow arc is hit by a Nemacyst and the pilot is killed, Jace takes over, having only flown once before but having never landed. To make matters worse, they are still under fire, and the landing gear is shot off. Jace spots several Drones coming out of an Emergance Hole, so he aims for it, crashing down and sliding across the Locust, killing all of them, and impressing all the experienced Badasses in the squad.
- Barrick charging into a few dozen Locust with some Bloodmounts backing them up, fighting (and killing) them hand to hand to allow the rest of Delta Squad to escape.
- Going head-to-head against Skorge and living to sing about it, not too mention his impressive driving of both a massive armored transport in GOW 2 and a giant submarine in GOW 3.
- Clayton Carmine surviving all of Gears of War 3. We see the crashed helicopter, a gear's body lying on the ground, and a helmet. Then someone else picks up the helmet and puts it on, revealing GRUB KILLER on his chest plate. That is all.
Clay: EAT DIRT AND DIE, MOTHERFUCKER!
- Plus Clay's Big Damn Heroes moment in the final battle against Myrrah, followed by him surviving the helicopter crash.
- At the end of RAAM's Shadow, Kim goes hunting for RAAM to get revenge for Valera. He finds him injured and prepares to kill him, but RAAM summons a ring of Kryll to protect him. Kim won't let this stop him, and he begins walking through the Kryll to try and reach RAAM, receiving several cuts from the man eating terrors. He likely would have been torn apart, and was only stopped when Barrick pulled him back, but damn, that took guts to try and do.
- The debut gameplay at E3 2005 brought down the house.
- Multiple players in Gears of War 2 can chainsaw the same enemy at the same time, because There Is No Kill Like Overkill.
- When you first enter a chainsaw duel. It's only attempting to mash a button more than someone else in a couple of seconds, but it looks... YOUTUBE IT.
- Just getting a chainsaw kill. It does not get old.
- Nor do the headshot lines. "Look ma, no face!"
- Though by itself the scene where Dom has to euthanize Maria is definitively a Tear Jerker, the scene itself is a CMOA for Epic Games, with a combination of heart-wrenchingly well-done music, brilliant writing, and perfect acting, on top of the fact that Epic went with such a strikingly mature and straightforward approach to such a story. It was the moment that, in this troper's eyes, Gears 2 went from being a really good game to being a truely awesome one.
- Three words: Triple. Chainsaw. Bypass.
- Delta squad decapitating a Brumak with razor wire.
- The final round of Beast Mode. You fight Prescott and a hell of a lot of Onyx Guards in your final effort to wipe out the Gears. You'd think that it's awesome enough that you've killed some of the best COG members ever (well, since you're playing the villain this time), but what does Prescott say right before you start the round?
Prescott: Unity! Survival! BROTHERHOOD TO THE END.
- Razor hail.
- The COG teaming up with their enemies from the the Pendulum Wars, the UIR, in the final battle against the Locust and Lambent.