here: Joss Whedon
(and friends) being awesome after a five episode warm up period. Enjoy.
"You just woke a lot of people up, and they all think you're a bitch."
- And in "The Left Hand," Topher punching out Bennett.
- Topher didn't need to prove that he was a genius in his field, but when he, on his own, figured out Rossum's plans and created the blueprints for "Epitaph One"'s world of insanity within the space of two months, that proves his brain is awesome.
- His reaction to the stolen blueprints is made of awesomeness as well - he dared to call Magnificent Bastard Adelle a bitch to her face. He deserved that slap, but the line was perfect.
- And then Adelle's speech to him afterward was just pure Crowning Moment of Awesome in this troper's opinion.
- Hell, the shot of Echo walking back into the Dollhouse against Adelle's speech about never letting anyone else challenge her authority, one of the coolest shots in the series.
- And don't forget Alpha, in season two. Just as Topher was assuring Alpha's assumed target the camera cuts to Adelle, who says: "We need to find a nearby five star hotel. Where a security detail could be discreetly accommodated." Then Alpha walks right out of her bathroom and says: "Try the Franklin. I hear the view is wonderful this time of year. Also, you're out of paper. (pause) So tell me... how's the suit?"
- If that didn't dawn on you Alpha not only managed to sneak in so discreetly everyone thought they were safe, he managed to use Adelle's private office BATHROOM first.
- And then there was the turning all dolls into sleepers.
- Ivy - Ivy - giving Topher the method for reviving Ballard. Outsmarting Topher in his own field of expertise is worth every second of it.
- And he knows it, too, given his Pet the Dog line in the "Getting Closer" where he tells her to "get out" and "not become me."
- Echo disarming a troop of soldiers with her minds. All forty-plus of them along with the skills she was given just for that mission. Took a Level in Badass, indeed.
- "The Attic". All of it. HSQ, the horror, the works.
- Chief among them: Adelle, Topher, and Echo's plot to get into the Attic and find out Rossum's secrets.
- Let's not forget Mr. "I am walking awesomness" Dominic who basically frees himself from inescapable nightmare loop in order to chase Nightmare Fuel breathing assassin through minds of others, conquering their fears along the way. Then he stays behind to help those others gain counsciousness. And then to top it off he frees himself from the Attic all by himself. Definitely candidate for the biggest badass of the show.
- "Getting Closer". All of it. HSQ! Apparently we have dueling chessmasters between Caroline, Adelle, and Boyd!
- Ladies and Gentlemen, say hello to the Magnificent Bastard incarnate, Boyd Langton. Although we don't know his plan yet.
- Victor is confused that the new skills he's been uploaded with don't seem to have kicked in, then he takes down two Rossum soldiers in about three seconds.
- Boyd's Gambit Roulette is undone by Topher's Batman Gambit. A complex plan spanning the whole series and earlier, undone by Topher's realization that Anthony and Priya would return, topped off with a smiley face. Topher is full of Crowning Moments Of Awesome in 2x12.
- Mellie gets a few as well, first when she convinces Paul to take the sneaky easy way to Rossum's mainframe, then again when she overrides her sleeper programming through her love for Paul and commits suicide to save him from her.
- Top moment in the series: Topher turns Boyd into a doll, who Echo rigs up with a suicide vest in order to destroy the Rossum mainframe. Kill It with Fire, indeed.
- In The Hollow Men during Boyd's creepy I Am Evil speech Adelle can be heard to reply in a hoarse pained voice. You realize she is on the verge of tears. This troper just about broke down. All the credit to Olivia Williams, it's a spectacular understated moment of AWESOME.
- There's also the moment when he points a gun at her head and orders her to trigger Mellie. It's meant to be a threat, but Adelle doesn't blink and basically tells him to go fuck himself.
- In 2x11, Topher facing down a guy with a highly powered rifle at point blank range by saying "I have imprinted myself with many useful skills," in order to protect Echo while she was being imprinted. This five minutes after his one love was shot through the head right before his eyes. Damn.
- Echo's first 'date'. It includes a motorcycle race that ends through a hotel, night clubbing, and at the end of the night she gets a nice necklace from the hot guy she initially agreed to have no strings attached with. Who wouldn't want to be her?
- Then she forgets him and throws the necklace away. Yeah, it's not as awesome as it sounds.
- Meta example: all of the dolls' actors had to play a variety of characters, which meant different walks, expressions, diction, and everything. They all do a really good job of this.