Awesome: Avatar The Last Airbender Comics
aka: Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise
- Toph is awesome in this comic
- She launches herself into the air with Earthbending and makes a perfect landing on Appa's back as he flies overhead. Keep in mind Appa was probably miles above her and she had no way of knowing where he was except for sound.
- When the Earth Kingdom rioters outside of Yu Dao throw a rock at Sokka as he tries to calm everyone down, Toph then shuts everyone up by announcing herself as the greatest earthbender in the world and threatens to smash the next person who speaks up with a boulder.
- She uses Earthbending in mid air a long way above the ground to precisely let her and Sokka slide down. She determined the altitude using her sense of smell to identify the location of the trees near her dojo.
- She makes a monstrous looking Meta Mecha by remodeling Fire Nation armor and powered by Metalbending despite the fact that she can't see. Special credit to Sokka for somehow communicating the design through to the blind girl. Seriously, this girl is the greatest earthbender of all time.
- Katara is also awesome
- When Aang confronts Fire Lord Zuko] his personal guard attack him, setting his cloak on fire. Katara then snaps takes the five of them out in less than five seconds. She grabs water from a fountain, and throws it at two firebenders who get iced at once; throw water from her hip flask at two fleeing firebenders who get their feet frozen to ground, and throws a snowball at a firebender sending him to the ground in one hit. Even Aang's impressed because she did it without spilling a single drop of blood.
- How much her waterbending has improved even further since Sozin's comet. She can make floating staircases and even use water like a flying carpet for crossing chasms. It's not so much as her ability as much as the effortless ease with which she does it — it goes almost unnoticed.
- The Most Triumphant Example of the entire series: Katara uses The Power of Love to break what was seconds from becoming a Vicious Cycle of Could Have Avoided This Plots. Aang is angsting over having to kill Zuko to fulfill the titular Promise and restore the balance by separating the Nations once more, when Katara points out that if the nations have to be separate, how can the two of them build a life together? She doesn't even say it as any kind of threat, just as an observation, because she wants peace more than anything. Thus The United Republic Of Nations is born. Bravo, Katara Water Tribe. Bravo.
- Protesters attack Sokka for being a "Water Tribe Savage" and then make fun of him for only having a boomerang. He shuts them up quickly with a simple flick of his signature weapon.
- Toph's students figuring out how to Metalbend literally overnight with nothing more than self confidence and then going Badass by shooting the daylights out of the rival Firebender students, and their teacher.
- Though it has negative consequences, Earth King Kuei finally taking a level in badass and declaring that he will send his army to enforce Harmony Restoration.
- The final page of volume 3 and the entire story: AZULA'S BACK.
- Azula is in fine form:
- She uses the temporary flexibility from being chi-blocked to slip an arm out of her straightjacket and escape Zuko long enough to burn Ursa's letters, forcing him to free her to accompany him on the search to have any hope of finding her.
- And fending off an angry wolf spirit and its army of moths in seconds.
- When the Gaang's being attacked by swarming moths, she fires off a ball of lightning that attracts them all away, having only had seconds to think it up. Proof that you can still be a Magnificent Bitch even while being completely insane. It's amazing how her bending has actually improved despite the time she's spent in a straitjacket in the institution. Specifically how much control she has over her lightning.
- Though there are still some signs of her fighting skills being rusty, as she pretty much gets owned by the Gaang/Zuko in fights here much more easily than she did in the show.
- The wolf spirit itself. It's as powerful as the benders, and it can fight well against Appa. When it's in a corner, it spits out moth wasps, rendering Sokka's arm useless and causing Katara to cough for the rest of the fight.
- Appa bravely fights this wolf.
- Katara singlehandedly fending off a bunch of angry vines.
- Sokka finally gets to use his boomerang against Azula, with the same trick he used against Zuko in the pilot, no less.
- A bit for Noriko, who despite not knowing what's even going on, apologizes to Azula, and then doesn't hesitate to accept the Mother of Faces offer to return her memories, even knowing they would be bad, for her children.
- Successfully redirecting Azula's lightning—twice.
- His speech to her that is both awesome and heartwarming, and actually gets through to her enough for her to back off and give up on the goals she's obsessed over all story.
- When Mai's father finds out about his daughter and Zuko's breakup, he tries to recruit her into a faction that swears loyalty to the de-throned Ozai and hatred to Zuko. While Mai was coping with the breakup (with she voluntarily did when she discovered Zuko was having secret meetings with Ozai), she knows this is wrong and single-handedly disarms the entire faction with her brother Tom-Tom on her back.
- "Bumi vs. Toph, Round One": They had a match for the title of World's Best Earthbender, and it ended in a draw. Toph pulled a tie with a White Lotus Grand Master.