Anime: Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Just your regular middle-school anime.Shingu: Secret Of The Stellar Wars
is an science fiction Anime
produced by studio Madhouse under director Tatsuo Sato, aired on the NHK network. The series consists of 26 episodes released between May 8th, 2001 and December 4th, 2001. On March 3, 2008, the series made its North American television debut on the FUNimation
The premise of the Anime
revolves around an alien invasion of Tokyo being repelled by a mysterious giant being which is almost a monster in itself. The attack and giant creature are witnessed by many of those at a highschool. Shortly after highschool student Murata Hajime witnesses fellow classmates using psychic abilities and is drawn into the mysteries of the apparent psychic powers and the alien attack.
This work shows examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Played with: Adults are not useless per say, but have there hands tied. Key members of the Five-Man Band being dead also prevents them from being helpful.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: More of a highly responsible student council then anything.
- All Myths Are True
- All Your Powers Combined: Moriyama Powers combined with Moriguchi, Tsunamori and Morihata to allow travel through space.
- Audience Surrogate: Hajime Murata
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Somewhat stilted do to how much authority one can have at there age but it can be seen in everyone.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Hajime Murata occasionally turns to the audience and comments. Of course, other characters ask who he is talking to and think he is strange. Kazuo Murata, Hajime father, also does this when he first show up. "Like father, like son".
- Comes Great Responsibility: Often seen characteristic.
- Cool Starship: seen in the last episodes.
- Five-Man Band
- Great Offscreen War: 10,000 years ago. That only ends after galactic physical annihilation.
- Highschool: Misumaru Middle School
- Let's You and Him Fight: Between Muryou Subaru and Kyouichi Moriguchi.
- Narrator: Hajime Murata
- Hidden Elf Village
- Human Aliens: You can be forgiven if you can not tell the alien and humans apart just by looking.
- Japanese School Club: Hajime and Muryou start a festival club.
- Lamarck Was Right
- New Transfer Student: Subaru
- Next Sunday A.D.: It's 2070, but that is not important.
- Our Ancestors Are Superheroes
- Power Parasite
- Rock Beats Laser: Some well thrown rocks stops a cyborg.
- School Clubs Are Serious Business: Plenty of extracurricular enthusiast in the future it seems.
- School Festival: Hajime and Muryou have a festival skit.
- School Newspaper Newshound
- Slice of Life
- Sliding Scale of Leadership Responsibility: Everyone falls petty high on the scale.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Most if not all the locals, but more prominent in the chosen.
- Tokyo Is The Centre Of The Universe
- Town with a Dark Secret: the older residents know about the power of Shingu and have kept it a secret from the rest of the human and other aliens. This explain why when they the saw the White Giant fought the Aliens they don't react with shock and awe, but meh. Plus there a village where Muryou and Setsuna Subaru live grew up that not even other members of the dark secret know about.
- Translator Microbes: is required that visitors speak the native language.
- Two Girls to a Team: Naiyuta and Harumi
- Tsundere: Nayuta and Moriguchi
- X Meets Y: Azumanga Daioh meets Neon Genesis Evangelion.