Home And Garden
A genre composed of several different varieties of show revolving around remodeling or rebuilding homes, and/or the yards around them. Some are straightforward "do it yourself" guides and instruction. A few are akin to game shows. Others are simply off the wall. In all cases, the appeal revolves around a voyeuristic appreciation of the improvements, playing on the viewer's desire to have or make those improvements to his or her own home. The genre is so popular that a fair amount of the Discovery Channel can be found dedicated to it, and at least two cable networks (HGTV and DIY) specialize in it. It's also a staple of PBS in the United States.
- Hometime, hosted by Dean Johnson
- This Old House: The earliest episodes resemble DIY, but it quickly turned into something of a "showcase" program that presented high-end renovations of expensive properties using resources out of the reach of most homeowners.
- Home Improvement's Show Within a Show, Tool Time, is of this kind.
- P. Allen Smith's Garden Home; Smith also hosts short spots on the Weather Channel.
- Clean Sweep, a show mostly about organizing.
- The New Yankee Workshop, hosted by Norm Abram focusing on woodworking
- The Woodwrights Shop, hosted by Roy Underhill focusing on traditional woodworking
- Home Again, hosted by Bob Vila after leaving This Old House
- The Victory Garden, running since 1975