Renji Hiiragi is one of a chosen group of mages known as the Night Wizards. Their job is to make sure that evil doesn't get into our world, keeping it hidden from the eyes of Muggles
. This is all well and good, except Renji really
doesn't want to do the whole "saving the world" thing, no matter how good he is at it. He has a reputation as "the Falling Man", and is constantly missing class. He wants to make sure that he actually shows up at school and gets work done, but his party's leader Anzelotte just keeps calling him away and not giving him any other choice in the matter.
One day, Renji is told that he will have to watch over New Transfer Student
Eris Shiho. Eris is waiting for her birthday, at which point she'll finally meet the Mysterious Benefactor
who's been aiding her since she was young. After getting dragged into the Astronomy Club, Eris finds herself joining Renji's party on a quest to recover the seven Jewels that her bracelet is tied to. At the same time, a dark mage — Bell Zephyr — begins to move.
The series aired in fall 2007.
Tropes in Night Wizard
- Back from the Dead: Kureha is revived by Anzelotte and Lion.
- BFG: Akari's weapon of choice. Not only are the shells almost too large to carry one-handed, the gun itself can fly. In episode 9, she uses an even bigger one against Bell Zephyr's forces.
- Book Ends: The show begins and ends with Anzelotte reciting her Catch Phrase and dragging Renji off on a mission.
- Break the Cutie: Poor Eris. She learns that she is the reincarnation of Shaimal, the God of Destruction; all of her memories before meeting Renji and the others were fabricated; of her friends, only Renji stays with her and he ends up fighting Akari and (almost) Kureha; and finally, just as Kureha joins them, she is killed by Kirihito, who then reveals himself to be Eris' mysterious benefactor and planned everything so that she'd fall into a Despair Event Horizon and awaken Shaimal within her. She gets better though.
- But Thou Must: Anzelotte. "For the request which I am about to ask of you, please reply with 'hai' or 'yes'" ("'okay' or 'yes'" in the subs) is how she asks for favors, is her first line of dialogue in the show, and is, for all practical purposes, her Catch Phrase. Renji keeps trying to say no, but is always ignored and sent on the mission anyway.
- Catch Phrase:
- Nightmare says "Dream" all the time, but since he's Japanese, it's something like "Durimu".
- Kureha says "Hawawa~" when stressed, excited, or anytime.
- Anzelotte's is mentioned above.
- Chekhov's Classroom: Science class saves the day as far as one of the Jewels is concerned.
- Club President: The Astronomy Club, led by Kureha. It's really more of a convenient way to gather the Night Wizards in the school.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Ui Miyazaki, Eris's voice actress, sings the opening theme.
- Emotionless Girl: Akari. Her face doesn't even change when she is angry.
- Enemy Mine: Bell does end up joining with the heroes in the end, if only for one battle.
- Evil Overlord: Bell Zephyr fits many of the standard Overlord tropes.
- Gotta Catch Them All: The seven Jewels of Virtue, a group of Cosmic Keystones that are very, very important.
- Unfortunately, the Jewels turn out to be an Unholy Holy Sword — they're fragments of Shaimal's power, and when they're brought together, Shaimal reawakens within Eris.
- Hammerspace: The Lunar Robes can be used to store items. Eris uses hers to carry lunch.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Renji's extreme desire to actually finish his education. He's smart enough to get it done, he just never gets a chance to actually be in school.
- Instant Runes
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: One episode takes place in Eris' dream world, and introduces Nightmare.
- Miko: Kureha. This extends into her fighting style, where she uses a crossbow loaded with charms.
- New Transfer Student: Eris
- No One Gets Left Behind: Anzelotte's willingness to abandon Yui in order to secure the Jewel of Faith caused Kurusu to desert her cause. Renji's determination to gather the Jewels without sacrificing anyone is what inspires him to entrust the Jewel to the protagonists.
- Noodle Incident: What is Hiiragi's secret Kureha keeps teasing him with?
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Eris' bracelet
- Really 700 Years Old: Both Anzelotte and Bell are hundreds of years old, but look young and active.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: More like Red Moon Take Warning
- The Reveal: Kirihito is the Big Bad.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Renji, although Anzelotte rarely lets him go to school