No Glasses, No Life!
believes there are three kinds of people
: those who wear glasses, those who don't, and the ladies
. He's so convinced of this, that he has founded Meganebu
, a club for glasses wearers
, at his school. There are a total of four members: Akira, Takuma
, and provisional member Hayato
. Together, they will... show glasses wearers' superiority to the world, or something like that. And build X-ray Glasses.Meganebu!
started as otome Drama CDs
, later adapted into a Slice of Life
Comedy anime for the Fall 2013 season
with a different cast. It is directed by Soubi Yamamoto (Kono Danshi
series) at Studio DEEN
, with character designs by Atsuko Nakajima. This article focuses on the animated version.
Meganebu! provides examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The original material are Drama CDs after all.
- A Day at the Bizarro: First half of Episode 10. Yes, it was that weird.
- All Men Are Perverts: The boys' ultimate goal is to build X-Ray Glasses to see through women's clothes.
- However, it could be argued that the only one set on achieving it is Akira. The rest are just following him.
- Subverted. That's not what he's aiming for. See The Reveal below.
- Art Shift: Twice so far.
- In Episode 4, Takuma is dreaming. The borders become pastels and the overall coloring is even more saturated.
- In Episode 5, when Akira is remembering why he dislikes praying mantises. It's very creepy to say the least.
- Big Friendly Dog: Mitsuki's dog, Norio-San.
- Bishounen: Everyone but Hayato.
- Bland-Name Product: Yukiya has his yPad. yPod is also mentioned at one point.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys
- Chekhov's Gun: The Cool Shades in Episode 3.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Verges into this territory sometimes with its treatment of Hayato.
- Cool Old Lady: The Lunchlady from episode 8. Who turns out to be a published author on nutrition, and a fellow Glasses Wearer.
- Crazy-Prepared: Akira, always.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The animation is very stylish, with strong colors, patterned layers and creative layouts. This is a staple of Soubi Yamamoto's works.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Glasses. Cream puff. Discuss.
- It doesn't help that Yukiya takes a bit with his finger and licks it... quite erotically.
- In Episode 3, we see Akira like this◊. Of course, it's because Kouichi is sitting on his stomach, but still...
- Epic Fail: Every attempt at building the X-Ray Glasses so far.
- Eye Scream: Everytime Mitsuki tortures Hayato by poking his eyes through the frames of Hayato's fake glasses.
- Five-Man Band:
- Gag Series
- Imagine Spot: Akira and Mitsuki have a lot of these.
- Insane Troll Logic: Everyone has their moments, but especially Akira.
- Made of Explodium: Most of the stuff that the club invents.
- Megane: Everyone. In fact, those who aren't appear as Faceless Masses.
- Taken to its logical extreme in the last episode: when they put glasses on, they gain human appearance.
- Mood Whiplash: While in general it's a wacky comedy show, there are sudden sad moments, like the ends of episodes 3 and 12.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Wearing glasses.
- One Gender School: A technical all-boys school.
- Opaque Lenses: Given the nature of the series, expect these to come up sometimes.
- Out of Focus: Some or even all of the protagonists are absent in some episodes. Most notable in the second half of Episode 10, which stars the teachers and Tetsuo.
- The Reveal/Twist Ending: In the last episode, we learn the real reason why Akira is so determined to build the X-Ray Glasses. His brother is blind.
- Second Year Protagonist
- Sempai Kouhai: Mitsuki and Hayato call Akira sempai.
- Serious Business: GLASSES.
- Shout-Out: Episode 1 references Angel Beats! in the Mission Start! sequence.
- Sketch Comedy: From Episode 2 onwards.
- Slice of Life
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Averted. In this series, they are either CloudCuckooLanders or just dorks.
- Talking to Himself: Ryohei Kimura voices Hayato and his two brothers.
- Those Two Teachers
- True Companions: Except Hayato doesn't get included most of the time.
- Wham Episode: Episode 3, which delivers an unexpected Tear Jerker after all the wacky comedy.
- Wham Line: One single line in Episode 12 puts Akira in a completely different light:
Hikaru: Hey, what does Yukiya's smile look like? He never smiled much when I could still see.
- Widget Series
SEE YOU NEXT MEGANE