Anime: Mahou Shojo Lalabel
Magical Girl Lalabel is an early Magical Girl series, airing from 1980 to 1981. It was also the last Magical Girl series made by Toei Animation until the 1988 remake of Himitsu no Akko-chan, as other studios (most notably Studio Pierrot) picked up the slack during the eighties.Lalabel is a Magical Girl living happily in the magic world, until the day she catches the thief Biscus stealing her magic tools. Startled by her sudden appearance, Biscus swings his magic wand around and accidentally transports the two of them into the human world. Lalabel is taken in by an elderly couple, the Tachibanas, and she attends school with their granddaughter, Teko, learning about human beings and their world in the process, while continuing to chase after Biscus and foil his further attempts to swindle people.
Magical Girl Lalabel provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bifauxnen: Toko
- Brought Down to Normal: Lalabel and Biscus in the final episode
- Cats Are Mean: Biscus has a grey cat who's just as nasty as him.
- Cute Witch: Lalabel
- Dastardly Whiplash: Biscus definitely has the look.
- Cute Kitten: Lalabel has a pet kitten.
- Fat Bastard: Biscus
- Fish out of Water: Lalabel
- Girlish Pigtails: Teko
- Magic Wand: Lalabel has one
- Meganekko: Teko
- Mitsuko Horie: Sings the theme songs AND provides the voice of Lalabel.
- Muggle Best Friend: Toko and Teko
- Muggle Foster Parents: The Tachibanas
- Short Anime Movie: Magical Girl Lalabel: the Sea Calls for a Summer Vacation, which is only 15 minutes long.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Lalabel's kitten wears a pink hairbow.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Toko and Teko
- Trapped in Another World: Lalabel and Biscus