Video Game / Sonic The Hedgehog Classic
Sonic The Hedgehog Classic
is a Sonic the Hedgehog
fangame made by Hez in Multimedia Fusion 2, through use of a full-custom engine with some elements from the popular Sonic Worlds
community engine. Not counting the fan-remake Sonic Rebirth
, it was in fact the first complete, large-scale, original Sonic fan project made in quite a while.
The plot is your standard "Sonic and friends fight Dr. Eggman"
deal. The game features a set of 7 original zones, Time Attack and Mission modes, plus some extras. Get it on Sonic Retro.
A sequel is in the works.
Tropes featured include:
- Alliterative Name: The zones, with the exception of Death Egg.
- Author Avatar: An orange hedgehog represents Hez.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Eggman's Giant Mech has a cameo on Death Egg Zone, in which it explodes, sending Sonic to fight against Giant Silver Sonic.
- Bonus Level: Features special stages for Emerald collecting and bonus levels for extra lives.
- Boss Rush: An unlockable.
- Crosshair Aware: The final boss uses this in one of its attacks.
- Debug Mode: One that works just like the ones from the Genesis Sonic games.
- Dummied Out:
- The Sonic 1 level set was cut from the game to be later used as an expansion pack, but is now being saved for the sequel.
- Mercury Mines appears on the level select but is unplayable.
- Metal Sonic seems to have been intended as a playable character, but you can only make him appear on-screen as a broken mess with his and every other playable character sprite showing up at the same time.
- Fang, Shadow and Hez are only playable by meddling with the save file.
- Flipping the Bird: Hez's Victory Pose. If fits nicely because he's normally a rival in Time Attack mode.
- Giant Mook: The "Giant Badnik Hunt" challenges, where you have to find and defeat a giant version of a regular enemy in a level.
- Humongous Mecha: Giant Silver Sonic, the Final Boss.
- Meaningful Background Event: An endless line of Giant Silver Sonics is seen on the background for Robot Rave. For better or for worse you only fight one at the adventure's end.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: The ending is exactly like the one from Sonic Advance 2.
- Nostalgia Level: Death Egg is the final level, based on the one from Sonic 2. Gigalopolis, Aqua Arena and the Special Stages are based on levels from Sonic Chaos. Bridge Zone from Sonic 1 8-bits is unlockable.
- Puzzle Boss: Dr. Eggman's machine in Desert Dunes is immune to rolling attacks, so you make it suck its own spiked bombs instead.
- Rise to the Challenge: Robot Rave Act 3, accompanied by a remix of Sunset Park Act 3.
- Secret Character: Ashura and Blue Knuckles. By editing the save file you can also play as Fang, Shadow and Hez.
- Secret Level: Bridge Zone from the 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Super Mode: After collecting all Chaos Emeralds. Hyper mode is also available as an extra.
- Underwater Boss Battle: At Luster Lake, essentially an underwater version of the Green Hill Zone boss.
- The Unfought: Fang The Sniper appears three times during the game to set traps on Sonic, but never fights him.
- Video Game Settings: