Evil laughter echoes in the shadow of the night sky's twinkling stars, burdening the universe with the tears of people crying from world to world! Call Galaxy Cyclone Braiger - they will arrive in a second!Yay! Describe Braiger here, yay yay!
- Opening Narration
- Opening Narration
Galaxy Cyclone Braiger was an anime series aired from 1981 to 1982 in Japan. There were 39 episodes aired. It is the first series from the J9 Series.In the year 2111, the solar system has been colonized. Khamen Khamen wants to destroy the planet Jupiter in order to create a new star and change the solar system. Team J9 is assembled by Isaac Godonov, consisting of himself, Blaster Kid, Stephen Bowie, and Angel Omachi. With the robot Braiger, they are a team that will handle any missions the police will not in the asteroid belt. Meanwhile, Earth has been divided into four power blocs: Omega, Red Dragon, Volga and Nubia. Nubia hatches a plan to rule the solar system in which Jupiter is destroyed, leading to the creation of over 30 smaller planets that could sustain life. However, such a plan would lead to the destruction of Earth.The series was supposedly inspired by real-life scientific research and used a lot of Korean talents at the lower ranks of production. The show mostly became well known since it was done by manga artist Monkey Punch. Monkey Punch is the pen name of manga artist Kazuhiko (born May 26, 1937), creator of the successful Japanese Franchise Lupin III. He was born in Hamanakachi, Hokkaido. Kat first started to work as a manga artist under the pen name Kazuhiko Kat.It has two sequels: Baxinger and Sasuraiger. They are set 600 and 800 years later, respectively.
Tropes associated with Braiger:
- Adjective Noun Fred
- Ambiguously Brown: Pancho Poncho
- Animal Assassin: Khamen Khamen disposes of anyone who fails him with a cobra.
- Anti-Hero: The J9 guys oscillate between Type 2 and Type 3. They certainly aren't the merciful kind, especially Isaac.
Kid: * snatches an enemy craft filled with pleading Mooks out of the air* What do we do, Isaac? They want to be saved.Isaac: Those who would make good people cry...* eye twinkle with Audible Gleam* ...deserve no mercy.*The enemy craft, and the mooks inside, promptly get crushed in Braiger's big blue claw*
- During the first episode:
- Big Bad: Khamen Khamen
- Blade on a Stick: Brai-Spear
- Catchphrase: "Yay!" Despite being so simple, it ended up becoming so popular amongst fans that it was present in both Baxinger and Sasuraiger.
- Cool Car: One of Braiger's forms, Brai-Thunder.
- Cool Plane: Braiger's other form, Brai-Star.
- Cool Sword: The Brai-Sword. It also shoots laser beams.
- Eye Catch: Kid, who is holding a double guitar for some reason, tosses a yellow guitar pick at the screen, at which point the logo appears.
- Evil Laugh/Most Annoying Sound: Khamen Khamen
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Sanguine (blood): Machiko "Angel Omachi" Valencia
- Choleric (yellow bile): Jotaro "Blaster Kid" Kidou
- Melancholic (black bile): Stephen "Speedy" Bowie
- Phlegmatic (phlegm): Isaac "The Razor" Godonov
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Brai-Sword Beam. Also the lasers fired from Braiger's ear-things.
- The Gunslinger: Blaster Kid
- Guns Akimbo: The Cosmo Winders and the Brai-Cannon.
- Handsome Lech: Stephen Bowie
- Names to Know in Anime: Plenty of them, Kazuyuki Sogabe (Isaac), Kaneto Shiozawa (Blaster Kid), and Katsuji Mori (Speedy) especially
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase: Next time, on Galaxy Cyclone Braiger - call them, and they'll arrive in a second!
- Repetitive Name: Khamen Khamen
- Smug Snake: BY GOD Khamen Khamen's mannerisms in Super Robot Wars are enough to make you want to strangle him.
- Which makes it all too satisfying when you rip him to pieces for the last time.
- And the series is fully aware of it, too. He's one of the few non-original bosses with his own theme, (which is almost as annoying as the man himself), his mooks tend to be weak or stolen from other series, and his ship is very, very easy, at least in Alpha Gaiden.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Other loosely translated names include "Braiger", "Bryger", "Brygar", "Galactic Whirlwind Bryger", "Galactic Cyclone Buraiger", "Cosmo Runner".
- Also, Carmen Carmen or Khamen Khamen
- Super Robot Wars: The robot has been featured in video games such as Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, Super Robot Wars GC. For these appearances, Isaac Goodenov was performed by Ryōtarō Okiayu, and Jotaro Kidou was darrin'd by Takumi Yamazaki. It also appears in Super Robot Wars NEO for the Nintendo Wii.
- Tagalong Kid: Shin Ling Ho
- The Tease: Omachi
- Telescoping Robot: As is the norm for Humongous Mecha of this era, Braiger stores a good number of weapons in shrunken forms on its body. Averted for the Brai-Cannons though, as Pancho has to fly in with a transport ship to deliver these to the J9 team.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: The Brai-Synchron system Pancho developed allows mass to be stored in a pocket dimension; thus allowing the normal-car-sized Brai-Thunder to transform into the much larger Brai-Star, and thence to the 32-metre-tall Braiger.
- Transforming Mecha
- Whip It Good: Isaac's laser-whip-sword-thingy.