Evil laughter echoes in the shadow of the night sky's twinkling stars, burdening the universe with the tears of people crying from world to world! Call Galaxy Cyclone Braiger — they will arrive in a second!Yay! Describe Braiger here, yay yay!Galaxy Cyclone Braiger was an anime series aired from 1981 to 1982 in Japan. There were 39 episodes aired. It is the first series from the J9 Series.In the year 2111, the solar system has been colonized. Khamen Khamen wants to destroy the planet Jupiter in order to create a new star and change the solar system. Team J9 is assembled by Isaac Godonov, consisting of himself, Blaster Kid, Stephen Bowie, and Angel Omachi. With the robot Braiger, they are a team that will handle any missions the police will not in the asteroid belt. Meanwhile, Earth has been divided into four power blocs: Omega, Red Dragon, Volga and Nubia. Nubia hatches a plan to rule the solar system in which Jupiter is destroyed, leading to the creation of over 30 smaller planets that could sustain life. However, such a plan would lead to the destruction of Earth.The series was supposedly inspired by real-life scientific research and used a lot of Korean talents at the lower ranks of production. The show mostly became well known due to its character designs resembling those of Lupin III (Kazuo Komatsubara was asked to design characters similar to Lupin's) and the catchy opening theme with its animation done by the legendary Yoshinori Kanada.It's also known in Japan for being the first TV anime to have an on-screen sex sceneIt has two sequels: Baxinger and Sasuraiger. They are set 600 and 800 years later, respectively.
- Adjective Noun Fred
- Ambiguously Brown: Pancho Poncho
- Animal Assassin: Khamen Khamen disposes of anyone who fails him with a cobra.
- Anti-Hero: The J9 guys oscillate between Type 2 and Type 3. They certainly aren't the merciful kind, especially Isaac.
Kid: * snatches an enemy craft filled with pleading Mooks out of the air* What do we do, Isaac? They want to be saved.Isaac: Those who would make good people cry...* eye twinkle with Audible Gleam* ...deserve no mercy.*The enemy craft, and the mooks inside, promptly get crushed in Braiger's big blue claw*
- During the first episode:
- Big Bad: Khamen Khamen
- Blade on a Stick: Brai-Spear
- Catchphrase: "Yay!" Despite being so simple, it ended up becoming so popular amongst fans that it was present in both Baxinger and Sasuraiger.
- Cool Car: One of Braiger's forms, Brai-Thunder.
- Cool Plane: Braiger's other form, Brai-Star.
- Cool Sword: The Brai-Sword. It also shoots laser beams.
- Eye Catch: Kid, who is holding a double guitar for some reason, tosses a yellow guitar pick at the screen, at which point the logo appears.
- Evil Laugh/Most Annoying Sound: Khamen Khamen
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Sanguine (blood): Machiko "Angel Omachi" Valencia
- Choleric (yellow bile): Jotaro "Blaster Kid" Kidou
- Melancholic (black bile): Stephen "Speedy" Bowie
- Phlegmatic (phlegm): Isaac "The Razor" Godonov
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Brai-Sword Beam. Also the lasers fired from Braiger's ear-things.
- The Gunslinger: Blaster Kid
- Guns Akimbo: The Cosmo Winders and the Brai-Cannon.
- Handsome Lech: Stephen Bowie
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch Phrase: Next time, on Galaxy Cyclone Braiger - call them, and they'll arrive in a second!
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- Other loosely translated names include "Braiger", "Bryger", "Brygar", "Galactic Whirlwind Bryger", "Galactic Cyclone Buraiger", "Cosmo Runner".
- Also, Carmen Carmen or Khamen Khamen.
- Telescoping Robot: As is the norm for Humongous Mecha of this era, Braiger stores a good number of weapons in shrunken forms on its body. Averted for the Brai-Cannons though, as Pancho has to fly in with a transport ship to deliver these to the J9 team.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: The Brai-Synchron system Pancho developed allows mass to be stored in a pocket dimension; thus allowing the normal-car-sized Brai-Thunder to transform into the much larger Brai-Star, and thence to the 32-metre-tall Braiger.