LavonPapillon1 on Nov 30th 2017 at 2:53:13 PM
Last Edited By:
LavonPapillon1 on Jun 21st 2018 at 7:28:20 PM
Page Type: trope
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to together through this thing called life. Electric word life it means forever an-- wait, that can't be right... it is? Oh yeah, I forgot this was the Prince-themed wedding. That explains why the bridesmaids are dressed like Maya and Nandy.
Marriage is a sacred institution, filled with high emotions, decorum, tradition and loads of other things that apparently matter to some people. It depends on those that marry, their friends and family, where the wedding will be held, when the wedding will be held, etc. Maybe a British couple goes to America for a wedding where everybody is dressed like cowboys and eat cake made of corn-dodgers and Ranch Style beans, or an Alaskan lesbian couple dresses like aliens and astronauts for a wedding in the Seattle Space Needle. Or maybe a polyamorous group of twenty strips naked and are married off by a clown priest in Pleasant Valley. Wacky, wacky!
Compare with Fun in the Funeral, a similar traditional ceremony laced with intentional whimsy.
Contrast with Wedding Smashers, where the whimsy and hijinks are unintentional and usually grinds everything to a halt.
Disclaimer: No Real Life Examples, Please!
- Discussed in 27 Dresses. As Jane showcases her many bridesmaid dresses to Kevin, one of them comes with a parasol. Jane explains that it was for a themed wedding.
- In the Lucifer (2016) episode "Monster", the Mystery of the Week occurs at a zombie-themed wedding. The bride, groom and guests are all dressed as zombies, the rings are on fake fingers on a bloodied-white pillow, the ceremony is held at a graveyard and the episode is set on Halloween. Because of this, the guests are undeterred when the groom is shot by the episode's killer despite the bride's protests before she is shot dead herself.
- One episode of CSI had an Alice in Wonderland-themed wedding get crashed by robbers who shot and killed the groom. Accidentally, as it turned out. The robbers' guns were loaded with blanks but the killer put the barrel to a button on the groom's hat and the blast propelled it into his skull.
- The cast of Tanked once constructed a slot-machine aquarium for a couple's gambling themed wedding note in Las Vegas.
- On Friends, when Monica contemplates marrying millionaire Pete Rachel has a suggestion...
Mon, you definitely have to make it a theme wedding, and the theme could be, "Look how much money we've got!" You know, I mean you could put... you could put money in the invitations! You could have, like, little money place settings. And, uh, you could start with a money salad! I mean it'd be dry, but people will like it.
- In Of Thee I Sing, the first act ends with the Supreme Court presiding over a ceremony which combines the inauguration of John P. Wintergreen as President with his marriage to Mary Turner, merging the traditional vows for both occasions.
- In The Rock Cocks, Coral and Clover reveal that they got married at Melody Faire's clothing-optional resort to have their own clothing-optional wedding. They enjoyed their stay so much that they decided to stay indefinitely as employees.
Feedback: 20 replies