Pichu-kun on Dec 17th 2014 at 2:35:56 PM
Last Edited By:
Pichu-kun on Dec 4th 2017 at 1:06:57 PM
Page Type: Trope
Sometimes a character is confused about another characters sex. It could be because they're a crossdresser, they're trans, they have an Ambiguous Gender, or maybe they're just really androgynous. The normal reaction would be to simply ask but some characters opt for a different, more aggressive way.
An Outfit Rip Sex Check is when a character is made to reveal their sex in a decidedly non-consensual matter such as ripping off their clothing or receiving Clothing Damage. It's often a bullying tactic if the characters are young enough but is typically listed under Sexual Harassment and Rape Tropes, though it can be Played for Laughs.
- Tooru from Tokyo Ghoul Re is a transgender man. This is revealed by a Ghoul attacking him in the back of a cab. The Ghoul only eats women with scars and is confused by Tooru's sex so he rips open his shirt, revealing his chest binder and the fact he's Covered with Scars. He beats up Tooru and tries to take him as his next victim, but Tooru is rescued.
- After School Nightmare's protagonist is an intersex teen. Mashiro, along with other troubled teenagers at his school, must enter a Dream World to deal with their deepest problem before graduating. Early in the dream world a character dressed as a Black Knight is curious whether Masahiro is a crossdresser or a girl so he rips open Masahiro's shirt and skirt with his sword. In the real world Masahiro instantly wakes up and tries to see who the person is but isn't allowed by the nurse, though he learns soon later.
- In an elementary chapter of Wandering Son, while at a public bath, some boys try to see whether Nitori, who is a transgender girl, is a boy or a girl. She ends up screaming loudly which scares them off and causes them to mock her feminine "gay voice".
- Ryoma, one of the one-shot protagonists in IS: Otoko Demo Onna Demo Nai Sei is intersex. She was raised as a boy but always considered herself a girl. In elementary due to not acting masculine enough she was bullied. Once male classmates tried to get her to take off her underwear so they could see if she was really a boy, and she beats him up. After this the bullying ends and she starts acting more masculine, until at age 17 when female puberty hits and causes an emotional issue between her living as male but having a feminine body.
- In Love Stage!!, Shougo rips open Izumi's dress to show Sena that Izumi is actually a guy.
- The one-shot Cotton Candy Love has elementary aged bullies trying to check under their classmates skirt, who recently began going to school as a girl.
- Invoked in the one-shot Kanojo ni Naritai!? The protagonist tears open his own shirt to reveal to his crush that he is really a boy. He originally began crossdressing because he thought she was a Butch Lesbian but it turns out she's not.
- In Adolescence of Utena Saionji mistakes Utena for a boy until partway during a duel he cuts her shirt open.
- In the yaoi one-shot Nise x Koi Boyfriend, two guys try to get Satoi to have sex with them. It isn't shown what happened but somehow he ended up with his shirt ripped open. They were grossed out at Satoi being a crossdresser and wanted to humiliate him by taking pictures of him nude and putting them online, but Satoi's boyfriend came to his rescue.
- Attempted in Ikki Tousen when Kyocho Chuuko's judo classmates refused to believe she was a girl and ripped her clothes in the dojo to "clear the doubts". Then Sousou stepped into that, thought they were trying to gang-rape her, and his Superpowered Evil Side kicked in for the first time. There were NO survivors except for the two of them.
Film - Animation
- Implied in Disney's Mulan. Mulan decides to fight in the Chinese army against the Huns in place of her father, who is too old to stand a chance in battle. She does this by cutting her hair and dressing up as a man, since women are not allowed to enlist in the Chinese military. After a battle with the Huns in which she saves the lives of her fellow soldiers, she gets injured and is taken to a medical tent. The doctors, while treating her, find out she is a woman and relay this news to Captain Li Shang and the rest of the army. Li Shang is ordered to execute Mulan, since death is the punishment for impersonating a soldier, but spares her life as she had saved his.
Film - Live Action
- The protagonist of Tomboy spent the film presenting as a boy to the other kids. When her mother finds out she reveals Laure's a girl to a boy she got into a fight with, which causes him to tell everyone else. The other kids make a girl who likes Laure pull down her pants and confirm if she's female or not.
- Twice in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery:
- Early in the film Powers grabs a pretty mod girl and declares "it's a man, man!" and pulls her wig off, revealing a male spy.
- Later in the film Powers meets Basil Exposition's mother and he thinks it's another male spy in a little old lady disguise, but it turns out this one really is a little old lady.
- Ace Ventura: Ace Ventura does this at the end of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective to reveal the bad guy
- The Commish: Tony approaches the senior mother of a wanted bank robber who he suspects of harboring her son and/or the money he had stolen. Tony tells her and her friend, another little old lady, that unless she tells him where the money is he'll get a warrant to tear her house apart looking for it. He also mentions that her son had stolen $200,000. The woman is outraged, because apparently her son had told her he stole less than that and was holding out on her. Her friend assures her that her son wouldn't do somehting like that but the mother knocks her wig off, revealing that she is really the son, in hiding. Tony then reveals that the son had only stolen $80,000.
- Invoked in Game of Thrones. During her journey to Winterfell after her father's death, a disguised Arya struggles to look like a boy while travelling with future members of the Night's Watch. As her friend Gendry immediately notices she's not a boy, he tells her to show "his" peepee and piss in front of him as proof. She gives up and reveals her true name shortly after.
- In Seven Soldiers of Victory, Shining Knight's sex is revealed after Galahad rips off part of her shirt, revealing her bound breasts to Gloriana.
- Alanna's true sex is revealed to the public in the second Song of the Lioness book during her duel with Duke Roger when he accidentally cuts through the special corset that she uses to flatten her chest, causing her to inadvertently flash the entire crowd.
- Inverted in Monstrous Regiment: The squad, entirely composed of girls disguise themselves as washerwomen to infiltrate the captured fortress. They are caught, and the guards laugh at yet another attempt at crossdressing to get inside. They start wailing about this unfair treatment, until Shufti pulls up her shirt, revealing herself to be very pregnant. Polly turns her best contemptuous glare towards the captain, asking in icicle-covered tones if perhaps he needs to see the rest of the squad naked as well. The captain, utterly defeated, leaves quickly, and the girls are allowed to continue unhindered.
- Final Fantasy V: Early in the game, after having to swim through a sunken ship's hold, Bartz and Galuf strip down to dry their clothes over a fire, and force Faris do do the same, only to discover, true to this trope, that Faris is cross-dressing woman.
- Art of Fighting:
- If you beat King with a super attack, "his" clothes will rip, revealing King as a woman all along.
- In the second game, the same thing will also happen to Yuri. They retain this in King of Fighters 94, 95, and XIII.
- In Power Instinct: Matsuri Senzo Kuyou, Hikaru Jomon after she get beaten with a Special KO, her clothes are ripped and it's revealed her breasts are covered by a Sarashi, revealing Hikaru is a girl instead a boy as she wanted to be seen.
- Knights Errant: In the original version, Oswald is revealed to be assigned female at birth when the prince cuts off his shirt. The prince already knew, though, and was only proving it to make a point.
- Happened on Venus Envy to transsexual Zoe twice:
Feedback: 63 replies