kiapet on Nov 21st 2014 at 10:14:37 PM
Last Edited By:
eleutherios on Oct 8th 2017 at 3:03:35 AM
Page Type: Trope
The tendency of East Asian women to have their hair colored with blue, purple or red, usually in streaks. This may be a downplayed form of You Gotta Have Blue Hair. As Asian women have traditionally been portrayed as delicate and submissive, this minor bit of Delinquent Hair can serve as a visual shorthand of the woman in question's attitude and refusal to conform. Consequently, this style is most often seen in Action Girls. The streak may also be meant to give them a more "exotic" look, which dives straight into Unfortunate Implications. Or maybe it just looks cool.
Film - Animated
- In Big Hero 6, GoGo Tomago has streaks of purple in her bangs, which go along with her general Biker Babe demeanor.
- In Titan A.E., Akima has big purple bangs.
Film - Live Action
- Mako Mori from Pacific Rim has two small streaks of blue in her hair.
- Action Girl Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World dyes her hair in streaks to imitate Ramona, who dyes her hair as well.
- Rufio from "Film/Hook" had spiked, red-striped hair.
- Sonmi from Cloud Atlas has a red streak in her hair to mark her as a clone.
- Tina from Glee has blue hair streaks in the first season. She loses them later on.
- Juniper from The Life and Times of Juniper Lee has a mystical Skunk Stripe, which she dyes red. She is a tomboy with a bit of a brash attitude.
- Nikki from Six Teen has this exaggerated, until almost the entirety of her hair is purple, with the exception of that on the 'inside' (e.g. facing her neck).
- Wannabe Action Girl Miko Nakadai from Transformers Prime has a pink streak in her bangs.
- The title character from American Dragon: Jake Long is Rare Male Example who has green streaks in his hair.
Feedback: 77 replies