LavonPapillon1 on Aug 21st 2017 at 12:19:02 PM
Last Edited By:
LavonPapillon1 on Sep 18th 2017 at 11:40:35 AM
Page Type: trope
The Impossible Pickle Jar is a true test of endurance. The goal: open it. Not all can past the test.
The jar doesn't just have to be a jar of pickles either. All jars or bottles with a stubborn caps, full of jam and peanut-butter or still-moving eyes, still apply.
This trope is often used to demonstrate a character's strength, usually a male character. Though it's just as likely to be subverted: the more a character insists on opening the jar to show off, the more likely they are to fail. That, dear readers, is comedy.
After one character struggles like crazy to open the jar, only for another to do so easily, the first character will try to save face by saying, "I loosened it for you."
- One television advert for the Yorkie chocolate bar in the UK has a female customer with a fake mustache pose as a male, because the Yorkie slogan at the time was "Yorkie: it's not for girls." The suspicious shopkeeper poses a series of tests to verify the customer's macho, one of which is to unscrew a tenacious jar lid. The customer gives the lid a mighty effort, and succeeds.
- Early on in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, Kenichi's father Mototsugu attempts to open a pickle jar when his wife Saori muses that she can do the task herself. After much straining, Kenichi nonchalantly takes the jar from his dad, instantly opens it, and leaves, much to his father's bewilderment. This is Mototsugu's first clue that his son is beginning to come out of his shell and becoming a stronger, more self-confident person, although he initially gets the wrong idea about what's going on the Ryozanpaku dojo.
- Y: The Last Man: In a play put on in-universe, the first scene has a woman's grief over her husband's death (along with the rest of the male gender) brought home to her when she has trouble opening a jar. It's lampshaded as a cliche, and having been something of a running joke between the two of them.
- In one strip of FoxTrot, Jason's having trouble with a pickle jar, so Peter decides to show him "how a REAL man does it." Cut to off-camera sounds that sound like Peter's going into labor, with Jason revealing to Paige that he's glued the lid shut: "This ought to be entertaining for a couple of hours."
- In an early Dilbert comic, Dilbert has trouble opening a jar. Dogbert tries to show him how to do it, but he can't open it, either; he thinks to himself, "This would have worked in Family Circus." Dogbert then gives the jar to Bob the dinosaur, who just smashes it.
- After Po earns the Dragon Scroll in Kung Fu Panda, he struggles to open the container. After Shifu opens it for him, Po gives him the "after I loosened it up" line.
- Referenced on Monsters vs. Aliens. After Susan defeats the giant robot probe all by herself, she tells the others "Did you see how strong I was? I bet there wasn't a jar in the world I couldn't open."
- In Hancock Charlize Theron's character asks her husband to open a jar for her, to hide the fact she has super-strength like Hancock.
- In Frankie and Johnny (the 1991 version), ex-convict Johnny (Al Pacino) struggles with a jar before his love interest Frankie (Michelle Pfeiffer) opens it. The producer put the scene in after noticing that Pfeiffer had big hands.
- In the children's book The Bionic Bunny Show, Wilbur—the actor who plays The Bionic Bunny—struggles with opening a jar for his wife. The story closes with one of their children opening it.
- On Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Jimmy asks Hillary Clinton to prove her health by opening a jar of pickles he just happened to have had hidden away, which she does.
- There's an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch in which Sabrina and her aunts can't open a jar. Sabrina's father visits and, after a great deal of effort, is able to open the jar. Her father is going through some personal problems at the time, so to unwind he sets about opening every difficult jar in the house.
- On The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon asks Leonard to open a pickle jar for him in order to impress Leonard's date. Not only can he not open the jar, Leonard ends up breaking it and cutting his hand, which causes him to throw up.
- On the pilot episode of The Orville, Captain Mercer can't open a vault door and asks Pint-Sized Powerhouse security officer Alara to "open this jar of pickles for me." Instead of using her super strength to turn the wheel that opens the door, she just knocks it over, along with part of the wall. Captain Mercer then quips that he "Loosened it up for you."
- Pixelface: Wen Alexia and Sgt. Reilly have a contest about who is tougher, one of the challenges is opening the old jars of applesauce Rex keeps in the fridge. They both manage to do so, and then quickly regret it as they smell the jars.
- In an episode of That 70's Show, Midge asks Bob to open a jar, to make a point to Donna about how women have men under their thumbs. He has a lot of trouble opening it, and it's implied that Midge was only doing it to make him feel manly.
- In one episode of Arrested Development, Lindsay tries to open a jar but fails. Her husband Tobias proudly comes to her aid, but fails miserably as well—playing into his general lack of manliness displayed throughout the series.
- Life Support: In the seventh episode of season three, Sigourney does a segment on tightening jars around the house so that your boyfriend can open them and get a boost to his ego.
Sigourney: So, if you want your boyfriend to feel like the big man, you only have to give him something little to do. So get yourself a tightening tool, tighten every jar in the house and watch his self confidence flourish.
- In an episode of Full House, Danny laments to his girlfriend, who was just promoted ahead of him, that he had always believed that the man of the house should be older, stronger and more successful. Then Danny struggles to open a jar, and his girlfriend pops it open for him as well. Danny can only lament that at least he's still older.
- Stardew Valley: In a relationship event with Haley, she's having trouble opening a jar. As your character walks in, she asks for your help. You manage to open the jar, impressing her. (Your character can do it regardless of gender.)
- Discussed in Tomodachi Life, occasionally, when a female Mii talks about her husband. She'd mention how she has a hard time opening jars and the husband can open it easily when she gives it to him.
- One of the bonus cases in Touch Detective 2 1/2 tasks Mackenzie to help open a bottle of tea that has the cap screwed on too tight. The one who is able to open it? Penelope, much to Mackenzie's surprise. Presenting it to anyone else will have them try, struggle, and quickly admit defeat.
- RWBY Chibi has Ruby struggling to open a pickle jar, and eventually having to use Crescent Rose to open it.
- In the Kim Possible episode "Stop Team Go", a humorous sub-plot involves Drakken struggling to open a jar of pickles. He tries opening it himself, using various tools and henchmen and he even tries incinerating it with a massive Death Ray. By the end of the episode, Drakken finds Shego who opens it instantly.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has Rainbow Dash open a jar of pickles as one of her "heroic" stunts as she is getting desperate for "heroic" things to do.
- In Teen Titans Go!, Beast Boy has been shown struggling to open pickle jars on a few occasions. The most prominent one being "No Power", where after being prohibited from using his powers (such as turning into a gorilla for added strength), he is unable to get the jar open no matter what. He ends up resorting to licking the unopened jar. Later on he's shown using a cat as a jar opener where he does succeed.
- A recurring gag on The Powerpuff Girls involves The Mayor calling the Powerpuff Girls to open his pickle jar for him.
- In the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "No Weenies Allowed", SpongeBob tries to prove he's tough enough to enter the Salty Spittoon by trying to open a bottle of ketchup.
SpongeBob: If I could just run this under some hot water...
- In another episode, SpongeBob wins the Conch Signal that allows him to summon Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. What's the first task he asks them to do? Open a mayonnaise jar.
- A "Mr. Know-It-All" segment on Rocky and Bullwinkle has Bullwinkle trying and failing to open a jar of pickles in various increasingly over-the-top ways. At the end, Rocky notices the jar is actually a jar of jelly, and Bullwinkle says he couldn't open it because it was jammed.
- In The Day My Butt Went Psycho!, one episode has both Duke and the Great White Butt daydreaming on what they'd do with a ripped body. Both of their daydreams involve struggling to open a pickle jar, before Granny comes along and opens it for them, to which they say "I totally loosened that up for you."
- In Rick and Morty, Jerry's inability to open a jar results in Rick giving him the Meseeks box, sparking the B-plot of the episode.
- In one episode of Johnny Bravo the eponymous meathead finds himself captured by a group of amazons. They test him to prove if he's worthy enough to be their man, and the final part of the test is to open a jar of pickles.
- The Simpsons parodies this with a helicopter door that they treat just like a jar. The First Lady's bodyguards strain and ultimately fail to open the door—then she kicks it, and it opens. And of course, the captain mutters that they'd loosened it for her.
Feedback: 24 replies