This is a...unique series. In the best possible way.
Description: A teenager gets saved from drowning by a mermaid Mafia Princess
, and ends up having to marry her so they don't kill him. She comes to his school, and her whole family comes along.
Content: Some Fan Service
stuff, innuendo, nothing really bad except the epic Innocent Innuendo Les Yay
with San and Akeno in the bath.
- For such an insanely over-the-top show, the characters are surprisingly well-developed; they all have very distinct personalities that interact well with each other.
- Saru is one of the few really insane Wacky Guy characters that I actually like. When he was introduced I thought "He's going to be annoying", and then...he wasn't.
- This show doesn't pull the whole annoying "lets suddenly be have a completely serious and bittersweet finale!". The finale is certainly emotional and dramatic, but still fits right in with the rest of the show.
- It does a good job of balancing the comedy and drama. That is, everything is joke fodder except for Nagasumi and San's relationship, which is sweet, but never reaches the Tastes Like Diabetes level. Thank goodness.
- The first few episodes aren't quite as good as the later ones. At least in my mind, the series didn't hit it's stride until the action moved to Nagasumi's school.
- As a whole, the series' over the top nature could be a deal breaker depending on your tolerance for that kind of humor. Same deal with the constant Art Shifts, which can be either hilarious or annoying depending on if you like it or not. I find that both generally lean towards the "hilarity" end of the scale, but be warned that the show usually isn't subtle.
Overall: I found this show to be great. It's a good balance of completely Beyond The Impossible
style ridiculous humor (the Terminator is a recurring character. In later episode he wears a schoolgirl uniform. It's that kind of series) with a surprisingly well done (and not sappy) love story at the core. I recommend it.