One of the most confusing complaint about RP Gs nowadays(for some reason, mostly JRP Gs), asides from being unrealistic, is that it forces the players to grind in order to beat the bosses. My question is...in MOST cases, are the people complaining just playing the game wrong? When an RPG is done right* . Reviewers and disgruntled players will complain about the game being a grindfest. But here is what I noticed in most RP Gs these days...
- dungeons+sidequests are meant to help you get gears, earn gold, and gain levels as you explore until you're strong enough to take on a boss
- higher level=slower experience gain, hence it gets harder and harder to level up...usually
- those same people often beat a boss after they are several levels higher than necessary
- nearlyevery RPG I've played can be beaten with little to no grinding. Optional Bonus Boss does not count of course.
- if your levels range start from 0 and goes as far as 75+, as in almost every RPG out there, the the improvement of a few levels are minimal. So grinding will do very little for you unless you grind for hours after hours.
PS-We can spend an entire thread debating about whether you can "play a game right/wrong", so I'll just say this. If a game provides you with warriors and casters with all sorts of buff/debuff/direct damage spells. And if all you're doing is charging in with normal attacks while ignoring the caster's buff/debuff spells while still questioning why you can't kill a boss. Then you're doing it wrong. tl;dr - "people who grind in RP Gs are often strong enough to beat a boss to begin with. Their problem isn't weak stats, but poor strategy."
edited 8th May '11 8:21:00 PM by Signed
This is also a possible reason why I always feel so overlevelled. I'm not overlevelled. The boss wouldn't be that much more challenging if I were lower levelled. The fact is, the bosses in RP Gs these days just suck, or your characters are too overpowered.
edited 8th May '11 8:31:56 PM by Signed
Also, I happen to like grinding...but I've never seen a story boss* that required me to grind. Prime Example: Arc Rise Fantasia. Ignoring the So Bad Its Horrigood VA's, the game is great, story, gameplay, aesthetics, DIFFICULTY. But if you look at a few forums and reviews, you will find a LOT of people complain about needing to grind just to beat the bosses. Now the bosses in that game are hard. Yes. But not once did I ever have to grind to beat any of the bosses. Not even the really hard ones late in the game. I died a few times, but I didn't need to grind.
edited 8th May '11 8:39:00 PM by Signed
edited 8th May '11 9:03:39 PM by Signed
edited 8th May '11 9:35:48 PM by MadassAlex
edited 8th May '11 9:36:48 PM by RocketDude
edited 8th May '11 9:39:55 PM by MadassAlex
edited 8th May '11 9:49:33 PM by Signed
edited 8th May '11 10:17:03 PM by Usht
edited 8th May '11 10:18:27 PM by Aondeug
- random encounters happen way too much (love random encounter meter in etrain odyssey though)
- running away is worthless because it has a high fail rate
- stats are vague the intruction manual does not explain how they are translated in battle (you know what would be nice Fire Emblem? Giving me the fucking formula for Attack Speed so my guy doesnt get attacked twice when a baddie runs up to him on his phase!)
- stat buffs and de-buffs are useless in common battles (which in turn makes not use them on bosses because of their uselessness)
- Useful spells such as revive or kickassium are available to you get to a certain level.
edited 8th May '11 10:47:48 PM by MedicoreNed
edited 8th May '11 11:00:10 PM by SpellBlade
edited 8th May '11 11:05:00 PM by Signed
edited 8th May '11 11:16:51 PM by SpookyMask