- Crowning Moment of Funny: This exchange during the cow milking scene:
Eli: What's the matter, man? Haven't you ever had your hands on a teat before?
Book: Not one this big.
- What really makes that scene work is Eli chuckling at the remark (Not So Stoic after all) and Book doing a double-take at it.
- McFee accidentally stepping on cow manure and screaming, "Shit!"
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Maurice Jarre's score. Conceptually speaking it shouldn't work as it's played entirely on synthesisers, and the Amish wouldn't go near a synth, and yet it's uplifting without being sentimental.
- Retroactive Recognition: This was Viggo Mortensen's first movie, as one of the Amish.