- Crowning Music of Awesome: Using "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" over Jim and Jenna's hilarious sexcapades.
- The recurring theme of "Ride of the Valkyries" whenever Jenna's about to deliver a verbal smackdown.
- Esoteric Happy Ending/"Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The very end becomes this with the knowledge of Adrienne Shelly's death, as explained below.
- Freud Was Right:
Jenna: I-can't-have-no-affair-because-it's-wrong-and-I-don't-want-Earl-to-kill-me-pie. Vanilla custard and banana. Hold the banana.
- Hey, It's That Guy! / Retroactive Recognition:
- Reality Subtext: Some shade of it. According to the commentary, Adrienne Shelley, did have 5-minutes dates.
- Tear Jerker: Damn near every scene involving Jenna having to take crap from her low life husband.
- From the Real Life background: The director, Adrienne Shelley, who also plays fellow waitress Dawn, was murdered by a teenaged construction worker in her house, shortly after the post-production was completed. Such a brilliant film from such a brilliant woman is dampened when one remembers what happened to her.
- The Woobie: Jenna, so much.
- Jim's face after Jenna tells him to leave the diner may cause one to try and hug their screen.