Tropers Online: 2,450
[ Login for more options ]
|These are what we call the 'YMMV items.' Things that some people find in this work. We call them 'your mileage might vary' because not everyone sees these things in the same way. This starts discussions in the trope lists, a thing we don't want. Please use the discussion page if you'd like to discuss any of these items.|
YMMV: Un Chien Andalou
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: Dalí and Buñuel claimed that it was mostly based on dreams and didn't have any sort of meaning. They were, however, fans of Freud, whose psychoanalysis tried to read meaning from dreams, so don't take the "no meaning" statement too seriously.
- Faux Symbolism: You'd think this movie symbolizes a lot of things, but Dalí said in an interview that nothing symbolizes anything.
- Squick: The eyeball scene.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: Pretty much the whole point of the short.
- Watch It for the Meme: Honestly, the reason most people watch the short is for the infamous eyeball scene.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?