YMMV: The Hill of Swords
- Better Than Canon: Some among the fandom see the story as better than Zero no Tsukaima in
- Brick Joke: "Alright, Root. That does it. All the other stuff, I could handle in time. But now I have to worry about having unauthorized porn of me circling the country as well?" This gets even funnier when you've read In Flight.
- Cargo Ship: Shirou's reaction to Derflinger had shades of this.
"Shirou," Louise said, her eye twitching, and her fists clenched as she eyed me strangely. "I'm glad you like the sword, but could you please stop rubbing your cheek against it? It's disturbing."
"I gave into the urge myself, and embraced the machine guns. "Oh! The armies we'll slaughter together!" I crooned, rubbing my face against the weapons."
- The Zero Fighter too. No wonder no woman can seduce him his love is only for weapons of mass destruction
- Colbert Bump: When it first showed up in a Fanfic Recommendations thread over on the SpaceBattles Creative Writing forum, few if any of the locals had heard of Zero no Tsukaima. Much awesomeness and a well-placed plot bunny thread later, ZnT fics — especially copycat crossover ideas based on "Louise summons ______ instead of Saito" — have more or less taken over the forum.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Shirou and Henrietta. Many believed that the one that got knocked up at the end was her.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The 2012 Zero no Tsukaima anime gives us, for the first time, Disintegration Void Magic. Several years after it appeared in this fic.
- Ho Yay: This line about Shirou and Head Chef:
'He had invited me to his room after his shift was done so we could discretely begin working on the book in privacy later that night.'
- Love It or Hate It: The fandom loves it because they see the alternate familiar as much cooler than Saito, while the hatedom hates it because they see Shirō as mischaracterized and think the fandom hates on Saito too much.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Thank to Follow the Leader, the plot that was once really unusual is now the first one used for all Zero no Tsukaima fanfics ever.
- Tear Jerker: The entire end of the second story arc (Chapter 14). Shirou's Last Stand and Heroic Sacrifice. Louise's realization after having a normal dream, rather than a dream-cycle dream. And worst of all, Shirou's reaction to Tiffania resurrecting him.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks: A common criticism is that the story is essentially the same as Zero no Tsukaima, but with a cooler protagonist.