YMMV: The Elm-Chanted Forest
- Cult Classic: Has very unique settings and characters, but was only moderately popular back in the day.
- Ear Worm: Come with me and let your fur down. Come with me, just step inside. Come with me and join our ho down. Come with me, just for the ride...
- Ho Yay: Thistle clasps his hands, bats his eyes, and refers to the emperor as "my Cactus King."
- Memetic Mutation: Modern viewers may recognize the mushroom dancers as the base for the Awesome Smiley.
- Nightmare Fuel: The Cactus King threatens Thistle with an extremely excruciating death by the use of a giant shredding maching. Not to mention the suspense of him escaping at the very last second while the creepy guards slowly approach his cell to take him to the execution chamber.
- Ugly Cute: Thistle is green, stringy-haired, pouch-eyed and buck-toothed, but his general niceness and put-upon–ness make him fairly endearing.
- Uncanny Valley: Sunchica in the sequel may invoke this for some. Her coloring looks a lot more...painted, than the rest of the cast, her eyes tend to look lifeless due to it; overall she has a strange sort of artificial look. Possibly justified, since she's a fairy, but still, eesh.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: A very short-lived example. Thistle looks like a girl until he takes his hat off and starts talking. (Actually, even his name sounds more suited for a girl than a guy.)
ShogunGin0: "Cripes! I thought that was a girl!"
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: Half of it seems to be an acid trip