- Fridge Horror: Whatever supernatural force that keeps the town's status quo going is pretty damn scary, when you think about it: it might have been responsible for the breakdown of Laura's life, and thus she moves to Pearl Bay. It might have made Elena sick, so she and Max go to Pearl Bay, she dies, and thus Max is now single for Laura. Hell, it might have made sure that the place where Max wanted to move to in season 2 got bombed, so he couldn't leave.
- Mis-blamed: In-universe example: When a very popular resident of the town, Matthew Reilly, gets arrested, everyone instantly blames Laura, who didn't like him. It was actually Grey, who'd discovered that the guy was a white-collar criminal who'd escaped justice.
- Narm: In-universe example: "Oh, he named the sticky date pudding after me!" Poor Miranda looks like she wants to be on the other side of the planet.
- Tear Jerker: Elena's death, especially if you rewatch the episodes she appears in and you realise that she knew she was going to die all along.
- The ending of the season 1 episode "The Fellowship of the Suit", when we find out that Sergeant Gray's son died years ago, his wife never got over it and is a basket case, and his daughter has been trying to help her mother by playing into her delusions that her son is still alive.