YMMV: Ronnie James Dio
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: We're Stars. Never has so much godly metal been contained in one place.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: The immediate outpouring of love and support from the metal community when he was first diagnosed with cancer... and the repetition of it later when he finally succumbed to the disease. Some of the tributes, like this one, are so strikingly simple but moving at the same time.
- Crowning Musician Of Awesome
- Ear Worm: "Holy Diver".
- Fan Nickname: "The Elf", and 'The God of Metal', since 'Dio' means 'God' in Italian.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
They say you never hear the bullet that killsAnd I don't hear a soundDio, can you hear me?I am lost and so aloneI am asking for your guidanceWon't you come down from your throne?
- These lines from "The End of the World" (Master of the Moon), when one considers Dio's cancer:
- It Gets Better: Holy Diver's prologue consists of a soft synth overture. It lasts until the 1:20 minute mark until the song proper starts.
- Memetic Badass: Among the metal community. Before his passing, almost every discussion of Dio would involve people joking about Dio kicking cancer's ass. When he died, these jokes weren't so funny anymore.
- Narm Charm: Dear LORD, he was the bloody king of this. His lyrics were never short of cheesy as fuck, but with a powerful and dramatic voice like that, he could make anything sound like it was the most profound thing on the planet.
- Older Than They Think: Dio cut his first single in 1958. And man, it was HEAVY! Other stuff he recorded in that period was much lighter R&B, Rock & Roll and Doo Wop.
- He was old enough to remember a time before rock and roll even existed.
- So Bad, It's Good: The music video for "Holy Diver", which features Dio running around dressed like a medieval warrior and doing various poses with his sword.
- The Woobie: He became not only a Memetic Badass, when he was diagnosed with cancer... but the metal community, especially the ones of the female persuasion, treated him as the designated Woobie, and for good reason.