- Crowning Musician of Awesome
- Ear Worm: "Holy Diver".
- Fan Nickname: "The Elf", and 'The God of Metal', since 'Dio' means 'God' in Italian.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
They say you never hear the bullet that kills
- These lines from "The End of the World" (Master of the Moon), when one considers Dio's cancer:
And I don't hear a soundDio, can you hear me?
I am lost and so alone
I am asking for your guidance
Won't you come down from your throne?
Raise your fist a rebel yell
- In a slightly different vein, the last song he recorded was Metal Will Never Die, which was released after his passing. With lyrics like this:
I am metal and I'll never die
We are metal and we'll never die
- Dio’s narration on "The Magica Story" from his 8th studio album ends with him getting ahead of himself after narrating the events of the album, saying the rest of the story is for another time. Thanks in part to Dio’s death in 2010, as well as his plans for two sequels to Magica, add on his final two albums before reuniting with Black Sabbath being unrelated to said album, it does sadly mean we’ll never know how the rest of the story goes.
- Heartwarming Moments: The immediate outpouring of love and support from the metal community when he was first diagnosed with cancer... And the repetition of it later when he finally succumbed to the disease. Some of the tributes, like this one◊, are so strikingly simple but moving at the same time.
- Memetic Badass: Among the metal community. Before his passing, almost every discussion of Dio would involve people joking about Dio kicking cancer's ass. When he died, these jokes weren't so funny anymore.
- The Italian satiric comic depicts him as God-as in, God at one point came to Earth and became the rockstar Ronnie James Dio, before leaving in disgust at the higher-ups of the Catholic Church, and His favorite look (being The Omnipotent, he can take whatever look he wants, ranging from a giant too large for his desk to a talking potted daisy) is still that of an elderly Ronnie James Dio.
- Moment of Awesome: We're Stars. Never has so much godly metal been contained in one place.
- Narm Charm: Dear LORD, he was the bloody king of this. His lyrics were never short of cheesy as fuck, but with a powerful and dramatic voice like that, he could make anything sound like it was the most profound thing on the planet.
- Older Than They Think: Dio cut his first single in 1958. And man, it was HEAVY! Other stuff he recorded in that period was much lighter R&B, Rock & Roll and Doo Wop.
- He was old enough to remember a time before rock and roll even existed.
- Slow-Paced Beginning: "Holy Diver"'s prologue consists of a soft synth overture. It lasts until the 1:20 minute mark until the song proper starts.
- So Bad, It's Good: The music video for "Holy Diver", which features Dio running around dressed like a medieval warrior and doing various poses with his sword.
- The Woobie: He became not only a Memetic Badass, when he was diagnosed with cancer... But the metal community, especially the ones of the female persuasion, treated him as the designated woobie, and for good reason.