- Complete Monster: Aage Krüger. He slowly murdered his own daughter in one of the most painful and sadistic ways imaginable, solely because she was an inconvenience to him, and then turned her corpse into an anatomical specimen, dooming her to a century as a ghost. Later, he deliberately seduced and impregnated Judith solely (it's implied) so that he could possess his son as a new body for himself. And because the show was cancelled, we never did find out his large-scale plan, but it's probably horrible. When Mrs. Drusse describes him in so many words as a demon, and his bodily reaction seems to mystically endorse it, no viewer will disagree.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Dr. Helmer Hannibal lecturing the Danish nation from the hospital roof while looking at Sweden through his binoculars.
Dr. Helmer: Here, Denmark. Excreted from limestone and water. There, Sweden. Carved in granite... Danish scum... DANISH SCUM!!!!!Dr. Helmer [later episode] (reaching out towards the Swedish nuclear power plant across the sound): With plutonium we'll get them yet...DANISH SCUM!!!!!
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Several, but arguably topped by the way everything that can possibly go wrong goes wrong when the Minister of Health visits the hospital at the climax of Riget I to see "Operation Morning Air" for himself - complete with walking into the middle of an exorcism carried out mid-corridor with improvised tools. Also just about any scene featuring Dr. Helmer.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Despite his Dane-detesting attitude, arrogance and villainy, Dr. Helmer became an instant favourite with the viewers.
- Memetic Mutation: "DANSKJÄVLAR!!!" remains a very popular saying in both Sweden and Denmark today.
- Moral Event Horizon: Some of the things Helmer does to hide his serious screw-ups might qualify as crossing it.
- Narm: Occasionally the timing and special effects can lend some humor; a good example is the unintentionally campy clip of Bongo in slow motion, with red glowing eyes, at the end of episode 2.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The Woobie: Mona and Mary. And Little Brother.