- Crowning Moment of Awesome: The entire game can be summed up as this, especially how the game maintains its fast speed with all the awesome visuals and 30+ enemies and bullets going around.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Rave music. On the NES. Period.
- Cult Classic
- Game Breaker: The S-type option, which targets enemies. It's possible in several segments to rely solely on S options to do your bidding, earning points for not firing the main weapon and using your main weapon strictly for Smart Bombs. In fact, it's so broken that in Score Attack and Time Attack, the game refuses to drop an S powerup.
- Goddamned Bats: Some of the enemies in normal and hard modes explode into aimed suicide bullets. In the special mode Zanki Attack, ALL enemies explode into no less than four randomly aimed suicide bullets when destroyed.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The S?GA-and-Nint?ndo Take That Easter Egg is a two-for-one deal: This was back in a time when SEGA and Nintendo were bitter enemies rather than the former happily producing games for the latter's platforms, and the game has since been given Nintendo's blessing to be officially released on 3DS Virtual Console.
- Sequel Displacement: For a very weird case of this, see The Unfought entry.
- So Cool It's Awesome
- That One Boss: More like "Those few bosses".