- Adaptation Displacement: The comic is more well-known than the toy it was based on.
- Complete Monster: Hybrid is the aptly-named son of a reformed Dire Wraith and a human woman. Born James Marks, he had been secretly trained by other Dire Wraiths in their dark arts, excelling but becoming cold and power-hungry to the point the Wraiths realized they made something even they feared. At age 15, he renounces his humanity and takes the name "Hybrid", using wraith magic to age his mother to death and murder his own father during his first battle with Rom. He decides to conquer Earth by having humans and wraiths breed a new race like himself, with him as leader taking any mates he fancies. Pretending to be a helpless child to the X-Men, he tricks them into fighting Rom, before attacking both sides and attempting his plan with Kitty before dissolving. Able to reconstruct, he allied himself with the female members of the Brotherhood of Mutants before they realize he planned on raping them. He would continue reconstructing during Rom's adventures on Earth, which saw him commit actions like attempting to rape Brandy and brutally assaulting Torpedo, leaving him for dead. Many years later, he is rescued by the students of Avengers Academy from Purifiers, murdering the attackers to keep his identity a secret. He takes over the academy, planning to feed of the superhumans, only sparing the females to breed with. An attempted rapist with world conquering ambitions, Hybrid is among the worst Rom has ever faced.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: While the title has these aplenty, one stands out. During the climax of the book, in issue 65, the Wraiths have frozen Rom in place, leaving him unable to activate the giant neutralizer. Meanwhile, Rick Jones, a "professional sidekick", has been making calls, trying to rally the many heroes he's worked with to assist Rom. Just as the Wraiths are taunting Rom about how alone he is in his fight against them, the heroes of the Marvel Universe arrive to help him. All of them.
Captain America: The heroes of Earth would never surrender their world without a fight!!
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Rom himself to the greater Marvel Universe. If someone knows about Rom, chances are they want to see him back in action.
- Fridge Horror: Some of you might wonder how the female Wraiths were going to reproduce after killing off their males. Here's a possible answer...they weren't! They may have turned into Death Seekers and Omnicidal Maniacs. In other words, they wanted to destroy everyone and everything and they didn't care if they died, as long as everything else died with them! Eek!
- Nightmare Fuel - The female Wraiths
- Hybrid. Just... Hybrid◊.
- Tear Jerker - There were many, but one of the most notable is when Rom believed a little girl he'd spent the whole issue trying to save had died. He cradled the body in his arms, and Namor heard him making soft choking sounds and realized that as a cyborg, he couldn't shed tears. Namor's medics are actually able to save her, but they have to turn her into a water-breather to do it. She seems okay with that, and Rom is of course relieved.