- Ass Pull: Just as Derek was going to tell Sharon about what happened at the Christmas party regarding Lisa coming on to him, she tells him about her sister's husband cheating on her, leaving her for the other woman and how much anger and hurt she has regarding the situation, so he decides not to tell her. Neither the situation nor the sister are ever mentioned again throughout the movie.
- Billing Displacement: Subverted. While Idris Elba is more recognizable to audiences nowadays, audiences still wondered by a virtual unknown received top billing over two more well-known actresses.
- Evil Is Sexy: Lisa.
- Just Here for Godzilla: We all know why.
- Narm: During the big blow-up after the "affair" was revealed and Sharon yells for him to grab his things and leave, this exchange occurred:
Charles: Where am I supposed to go?!Sharon: TO HELL! But until then, may I suggest the Four Seasons?!
- It's so nice that in the midst of all that anger, she can still think of a (rather nice) hotel for him to stay at.
- The winking smiley face email.
- Sharon's dialogue is just as bad: "You touched my child?" "She was naked in your bed?"
- Rooting for the Empire: Some fans found Beyonce's character Sharon so obnoxious they found Lisa more tolerable, and starting wishing she would win in their catfight later in the film.
- So Bad, It's Good: There are a lot of stupid decisions and moments of bad acting, but it all churns out a hilariously enjoyable experience, if totally accidental.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks: This is little more than an updated version of Fatal Attraction, except not nearly as good and far more unintentional comedy.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot / They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: As critics have pointed out, there was so much could have been done with the character of Lisa Sheridan and the plot itself, such as explore the interracial conflict between the Black couple and the White woman coming between them as well as Lisa herself. The film never gives a reason as to why she became so obsessed with Derek. The possibility of her having some sort of mental illness is implied, but never explored further.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Both Mr. and Mrs. Charles are this, but moreso Sharon. Derek is this for not telling anyone about what Lisa was doing to him (even if he couldn't tell Sharon because of the aforementioned "reason" listed under Ass Pull, he could have at least told Human Resources or his higher ups sooner since as both being with the job longer and in a high-ranking position, they would have taken him seriously.) Sharon is this for being the unlikeable paranoid harpy of a housewife who was so obsessed with the notion of Derek cheating on her that even when it seemed that he did cheat (but really didn't; it just was all painted really badly for him), she was more than happy to jump to that conclusion and kick him out just to prove her own suspicions right.
- What an Idiot: The last 45 minutes qualify from all sides; Derek, Sharon, Lisa, the detective, the babysitter...