YMMV: Mother 4
- Author's Saving Throw: After missing their stated release date and tentative release month, the Mother 4 team announced they wouldn't be stating anymore possible release dates until they knew damn well the game was ready for release. To quell any angry fans over this, they started to become more open about the game in such aspects as gameplay, plot, settings, and other such things on their blogs, in addition to starting up bi-weekly blog updates when previously they only updated every other few months.
- Awesome Art: As expected of a(n even fanon) MOTHER series game, the pixel art is top-notch. There's also a surprising amount of attention to detail with it. Quite a few buildings allow you to look in and see certain rooms, and there's a lot of minor things you likely won't notice until further playthroughs.
- Broken Base:
- Everything about the game, from the graphics to the dialogue to the title, is debated among fans, all based on a single trailer. Being an even remotely promising Fan Sequel in a highly regarded series where the last official game is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made likely has something to do with it.
- They've gotten quite a bit of flack for their design philosophy of: "We always prioritize quality over speed. We throw away NPCs. We scrap songs. We redesign the UI until itís right. We add more content. Work and create, change and edit, toss and delete. Start again. That has been our process and will be until the game is ready." Many have pointed out that said design philosophy usually results in games that never get done, as no one is ever one hundred percent satisfied with their work, and is a common pitfall many Indie / Fangame developers fall into, and they should be okay with not making everything one hundred percent perfect. note On the other side of the scale, people commend their decision on that to make sure it lives up to the hype, quoting Miyamoto's "A delayed game can be made great eventually, but a rushed game is bad forever." quote in regards to it. note
- Leo's Smoking Is Cool part of his characterization. It's Deliberate Values Dissonance to play up the idealized 50s vibe, but many still feel it's something that shouldn't be played up as such even for that, what with the many health hazards that come with it and the raising awareness of such in this day and age.
- The fact that it's a fan game sequel to the MOTHER trilogy in the first place. There's obviously quite a few purists who refuse to even get it a chance since it's not official and/or doesn't have Itoi involved in it in any way, while there's a few who feel the game should have been its own game in its own right, citing the amount of effort put into it is way above fangame standards, and thus doesn't deserve to get lumped into the Sturgeon's Law that's often associated with fangames. The fact that the devs could have easily made a lot of money off of it if that were the case is another reason people feel it should have been its own game, since that way the developers could have made some profit for all the years of hard work they put into it. Naturally though, other people are just hyped, be it a fangame sequel or a game in its own right.
- Crowning Music of Awesome:
- So far even with little information of what is going to be in the game and where its music will play, there are already quite a few catchy music tracks that have been revealed and made for the game. Examples can be found here and here
- Each character has their own level up tune and when characters are leveling up simultaneously the themes make the song "larger". Awesome music indeed.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: A lot of people are hyped about the Modern Mind, despite having only appeared in a single trailer thus far.
- Funny Moments:
Age: Buzz offHometown: What are you, a cop?Favorite Thing: Dishwashers note
- On the site, hovering over the character sprites reveals their age, hometown, and favorite thing. Then there's Leo's:
- The gameplay trailer lists all of the things you can do in Mother 4. One of these includes "Be a drag", which is followed by a clip of Travis walking around with Floyd being dragged along the ground behind him.
- Better yet, when Travis comes across a dumpster while doing so, he briefly turns to look at Floyd as if contemplating the obvious.
- During an update showing off the writing process, they showed off what happens if you check the dead cow bones in the desert area.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The development team's stated goal of June 2015. Come the April 2015 Nintendo Direct's announcement of a certain young lad's inclusion in the newest Smash Bros. game...
- The Law of Fan Jackassery: Seems to be at the peak point, mostly thanks to the infamous video claiming it's coming out in winter 2014. Before the video, comments were mostly supportive. After the video caused the game to gain a wider audience, suddenly there seems to be a large group attempting to turn this game into the next Duke Nukem Forever. note
- Memetic Loser: Floyd seems to be gaining this representation in the fandom, due to him being dragged along in the gameplay trailer. This meme seems to have caught on with the Dev team, as the game's Attract Mode shows the direct inverse with Travis being dragged behind Floyd. Somehow, it makes Floyd seem more like a Butt Monkey to the fans than he already was with them.
- Memetic Mutation: Mother 4ever is gaining more and more popularity as the development process goes on, mostly by those who view this game as the next Duke Nukem Forever. Similarly, "Mother takes 4 ever" is also a similar snowclone based on the infamous Duke Nukem takes forever meme.
- Never Live It Down: This game's rather lengthy development history nearly reaches Duke Nukem Forever when it comes to memetic status. In particular, their botched winter 2014 release date has become rather prime Snark Bait from the games detractors.
- Nightmare Fuel: Arguably the teaser, since its sound effects are unsettling and the music goes from somewhat creepy to very evil-sounding. However, this was probably their intention.
- Smoking Is Cool: Presumably Leo. Seen in the video link above, Leo is a smoker. And given the nature of any playable character in the Mother series being able to do some pretty badass things, from a monkey breaking a tank to a child destroying the essence of evil itself, Leo can be interpreted as this.