YMMV: Monsters (2010)
- Eight Deadly Words: Moviebob on The Escapist makes this observation, noting that both leads are unsympathetic and Flat Characters.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Considering the tiny budget, anything resembling special effects would have been commendable but its visuals would actually shame some movies 100 times its cost. And Gareth Edwards did it all himself. Special mention goes to the ending, when two of the creatures meet whilst Samantha and Andrew look on in awe.
- What an Idiot:
- Andrew's admittedly drunken decision to sleep with a random woman simply because Samantha shot him down isn't so bad considering he's single. She probably only rejected him due to fact he was so drunk or maybe conflicted over being still technically engaged. But the true error of judgement comes the morning after when his fling ends up stealing Samantha's passport and Andrews cash. Leaving your valuables unattended with your room door wide open is a bad idea in general. Moreso with a stranger still in your bed.
- Sam, too, for leaving her passport with Andrew who she technically didn't have to see again before getting on the ferry, alongside the fact that she stormed off in a huff while leaving said passport behind.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Political?: You have a bunch of aliens from Mexico trying to get into America and succeeding despite a gigantic wall and security to keep them out. These aliens are stereotyped as villains in propaganda. These aliens are apparently not metaphors for Mexican immigration to the U.S according to director Gareth Edwards, but that hasn't stopped people from drawing the comparison. The fact that Mexican immigrants making the border crossing are characters within the story and there really is a wall being built on the Mexican-American border does not help.