The Japanese version has:
- Ear Worm: The theme song.
- It is even a song in Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! The second one, that is.
- Ho Yay: When Monkey is blinded by the Tiger King, Tripitaka cures him by kissing his eyelids. And, in a later episode, when Monkey sees Minmin (pretty much the only human woman he takes any serious romantic interest in throughout the entire series) for the first time, his very first thought is how much she looks like Tripitaka.
- Everyone takes a little too much liking to Goku; in the third episode, Hakkai takes his hand while they're asleep!
The British version has:
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: A massive cult hit in Australia thanks to after-school screenings on 'The Afternoon Show' in the 80s.
- Values Resonance: At the end of one episode, the narrator says, "To some of us, opinions are so precious that we will die for them". And then the internet came along...