The comic strip:
- Author's Saving Throw: Peter O'Donnell's decision to end the comics trip on an And the Adventure Continues note was seen as intended to placate fans who were upset by O'Donnell's decision several years earlier to kill off Modesty and Willie at the conclusion of the book series.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: For years the Detroit Free Press, alone among US papers, carried the strip, albeit not without some censorship of the more risque panels of the UK original.
The movie adaptation of the comic strip:
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The totally random musical number involving Modesty and Willie suddenly declaring their love for each other. For one thing, the movie isn't actually a musical.
- Ear Worm: The main theme. Even fans who hate the movie love it (although the lyrics are a bit cheesy).
- Padding: It features a fair few pointless scenes (like a magician's tricks) in order to make the running time close to two hours.
- Special Effect Failure: The body of the mime killed by Mrs. Fothergill and thrown off the cliff is an obvious dummy.