- Cliché Storm: Seriously, when was the last time we actually saw The President's Daughter or a space prison in a movie, let alone both at the same time?
- Complete Monster: Ax-Crazy prisoner Hydell just enjoys the killing and mayhem and undermines his brother Alex's more pragmatic plans even when it's clear he's actually hindering his own chances to escape. He also makes no distinction between hostages and guards and his fellow prisoners, killing anyone who annoys him. He tries to rape Emilie as soon as the riot starts. When Hydell's brother can't find Snow and Emilie after their escape fast enough for his liking, Hydell reaches her through the space station's intercom and starts shooting a hostage every three seconds until she reveals her location, then kills them all anyway after she does. He kills Alex near the end when he again won't allow Hydell to rape Emilie.
- Conspicuous CG: The chase for Snow at the beginning. It's almost amusingly obvious.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Snow's amusement that the guy beating him up is called Rupert given he's named Marion. The strong implication that this is intentional Hypocritical Humor only makes it funnier.
- What an Idiot: Hock, the world's worst bodyguard.
- The Woobie: Mace. He panics when he puts the briefcase away, leaving his card in the machine, causing a cop to innocently call him back. The end result is he accidentally shoots a cop when he drops his gun and it goes off resulting in him getting shot and arrested. Then he ends up driven loopy by his brief time in stasis and frozen to death because he can't remember how to push a button.
- Special Effect Failure: The entire cycle chase scene is pretty bad, using obvious CG with terrible animation. The scene only serves to get Snow from the apartment to the train station quickly and they obviously wanted to avoid the budget costs of a real chase scene. In the film's defense its relatively modest budget of 20 million is utilized much better in the rest of the film.