- Breakaway Pop Hit: Granted, the very fact that it's called "Going Home: Theme from Local Hero" is a pretty good clue that the iconic piece of music is from a soundtrack, but it's arguable that the theme is more well known than the movie by this point.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "I'm still here, Happer!"
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: The whole film. It's not laugh-a-minute, but it's one of the richest and finest comedies ever made.
- Fridge Brilliance: At the conclusion, Danny chases Marina into the sea, trying to tell her that the marine laboratory is a go. Keep in mind that this is exactly what mermaids in legend did to sailors - coax them into the sea to their doom. Marina does it to Danny both on a metaphorical and literal way. Whether she's his doom remains to be seen.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Norman's idea of unfreezing the Arctic Circle and diverting the Gulf Stream would be something a Bond villain would do for global blackmail, now that global warming is doing just that.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Victor being from the Soviet Union but being a capitalist ("I'm a cash man, Gordon") was probably more shocking in 1983 than it is now. Now, Victor's seems more typical of Russians in 1983, now that we know more about what happened behind the Iron Curtain in those days.
- Memetic Mutation: "I'm still here, Happer! Craphound."
- Tear Jerker