YMMV: Jack the Giant Slayer
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Aside from starring in this film as the king, Ian Mc Shane also appeared as a dwarf in another fairy tale based movie, Snow White & the Huntsman.
- The sequel hook for the film is this in that it suggests a modern day version of the Jack and the Beanstalk tale which was done in the obscure 90s family film Beanstalk
- Nausea Fuel: It is established that the giants are fairly disgusting creatures, scratching their butts, along with several fart and belching jokes sprinkled throughout. One is also shown picking its nose...and then eating the booger he picks out. Mind you this giant is the chef.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Jack/Elmont is given the the highly clever name of Elmonterey Jack.
- Recycled In Space: While the film is entertaining by its own merits and an interesting take on Jack and the Beanstalk, one just can't help but feel that it's Aladdin with Giants.
- Special Effects Failure: While the effects are decent, they're not up to the quality of the $195 million spent. Though that may have been due to Digital Domain's bankruptcy during production.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: While the digital giants are quite good, the effects that brought the beanstalk sequences to life are pretty darn impressive.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: It's based on a fairy tale, so it must be okay for young children, right? Dead wrong. Discretion shots aside, there are some pretty brutal (and often highly original) on-screen deaths.