- Anvilicious: Vikram's rant about how he is constantly held in suspicion because he looks like he might be an Arab (he is actually a Sikh,) in the post-9/11 world is anything but subtle. Granted, it's a fair point, and the cops did handle him a little more roughly than needed (with the police commander later trying to deny that their little comments about the "Arab" ever happened) but he says all this while he is being questioned (rather politely and respectfully) by two detectives who are trying to get information that could save people's lives, and he seems to care more about bemoaning his unfair treatment at the hands of other people than cooperating with them, making him come across rather unsympathetically.
Spike Lee: "I just hope people understand that this is an absolute statement about my horror at how violent these games that young kids play are, and also the infatuation with violence and gangsta rap among the black community. It's not a real game but it's not that far-fetched from the games that are being sold, and more importantly the mindset behind them. There are just too many black men killing each other as it is."
- As per Wo G from Director Spike Lee, the brief clip of the young boy's game is intended to be Anvilicious. The game is a thinly-veiled GTA-expy in which the player is explicitly rewarded for selling crack (and stealing cars). After shooting an NPC, a set of massive text saying 'KILL DAT NIGGA' appears, after which a grenade is shoved in the NPC's mouth and set off. In Lee's words...
- Afterwards, Lee regretted putting the sequence in the movie...not because it was so ridiculous and over-the-top, but because he thought "The sad thing is somebody is probably gonna make a game out of it and take that as inspiration."
- Crowning Music of Awesome: "Chal chaiyya chaiyya chaiyya chaiyya..." (Keep in mind, the man responsible for this Ear Worm is A.R. Rahman, who won two Oscars and a Golden Globe for his work on Slumdog Millionaire.)
- Magnificent Bastard:
- Dalton Russel (Clive Owen). He's literally planned for everything, has contingencies in place, expertly manipulates both the situation and the people involved, and gets away scott free.
- Madeleine White is heavily implied to be one as well. When the mayor of NYC calls her a "magnificent cunt", she answers "Thank you". While she seems to be playing for the bad guys, in the end it's clear she does her own thing. The biggest problem with classifying her may well be that we don't see enough of her, and she never really demonstrates any Chessmaster ability.
- What An Idiot: Arthur Case in spades. If you possess evidence implicating you as a Nazi collaborator, why lock it away in a safety deposit box rather than destroy it on the spot? (of course, it's possible that he retains it out of guilt- it IS one of the last remnants of a family murdered by the Nazi's after all, so destroying it to conceal your misdeeds might be too low even for him).