- Cant Un Hear It: It's hard to read the book without hearing James McAvoy in your head.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Bruce is kidnapped by Lexo, Gorman and a couple other nutcases who plan on torturing him to death. He goads them into a one-on-one fight, which he wins by biting off Gorman's tongue and throwing him out a window. Made even more awesome by the fact that he's dressed as a woman at the time (don't ask).
Bruce: WHO'S FUCKIN NEXT SPASTICS! WE ARE THE EDINBURGH POLIS! WE HATE NIGGERS! ESPECIALLY THE WHITE ONES THEY CALL SCHEMIES!
- Crosses the Line Twice: Not only twice. It rips the line apart by crushing through it multiple times.
- Tear Jerker: In the end, Bruce has lost all hope of redemption and commits suicide by hanging himself with the scarf made by Mary, the widow of the man Bruce unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate, after recording a tape to his friend Bladsey apologizing for his actions. In the background plays a Clint Mansell cover of "Creep by Radiohead". You really didn't expect to shed a tear over this misanthropic, racist, sexist repulsive creep but the end you really feel sorry for him.
- Jerkass Woobie: Bruce. He has an absolutely awful life, including being the offspring of a famous rapist and therefore the object of his hometown's abuse, his stepfather making him eat coal, accidentally killing his younger brother and only friend, accidentally killing his first love, being shunned by his family...and the list goes on.
- Nausea Fuel: The detailed descriptions of Bruce's flakey, itchy balls are just the beginning.
- Nightmare Fuel: Both the book and the film are filled with it. For example, in the film, as Bruce's mental state starts to deteriorate due to his mania and drug abuse, his hallucinations become more and more violent and bizarre. It begins when he sees the corpse of his dead brother appear randomly, and then gets worse when he hallucinates himself and the people around him as warped, deformed animals. The final scene with Dr. Rossi is incredibly unsettling, especially when said doctor TRANSFORMS INTO THE TAPEWORM!
- The tearjerker scene where Bruce breaks down in front of Amanda, finally coming to terms with how awful he is and finding comfort in the company of another. One of the most quiet, heartbreaking scenes in the film, which is quickly followed by a genuinely shocking jump-scare when Bruce hallucinates Amanda as a distorted witch.