YMMV: Field of Dreams
- Alternative Character Interpretation: the fan theory that Terence Mann was a ghost himself, having died alone in that apartment, brought back to fulfill his dream of watching the game he loved as a child.
- Award Snub: Lost the best picture award in 1989 to Driving Miss Daisy.
- Hilarious in Hindsight / Reality Subtext: More like Heartwarming In Hindsight, as Shoeless Joe tells Moonlight "you were good". It is Burt Lancaster's filmic epitaph, as it was his final role.
- Memetic Mutation: "If you build it, he will come.". Although it's too often quoted as "If you build it, they will come.".
- Strawman Has a Point: The closest the film has to an antagonist is Ray's brother-in-law Mark. Until Doc/Moonlight saved Karin's life, he couldn't see the ghosts. So, from his perspective, Ray—an inexperienced farmer—mowed his field to build a baseball diamond with no other means of supporting his family. He was concerned with having his sister and niece being bankrupt from Ray's field.
- Tear Jerker: This film has often been described as one of the ultimate "guy cry" movies