For the Charlton Heston movie
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Even if Rodrigo/Cid caught a BIG Idiot Ball as described below, the fact that he made his own lord-of-liege swear by God that he didn't have anything to do with his older brother's death was ballsy.
- He was being asked to swear fealty to a man who could be a fratricide. It was a brave thing to do, but he may have felt he had no honorable choice. Morton's Fork, anyone?
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Miklós Rózsa's main theme.
- What an Idiot: Rodrigo not even trying to meet Alfonso and Urraca half way when it comes to their conflict with Sancho. Really Cid? Would it have killed you to at least try to talk to Sancho, dissuade him from beating up on his younger siblings, spare Spain from Civil War and all that jazz? Even if you ultimately chose not to fight for either sibling you could at least try mediating.
For the 2003 animated movie
- Harsher in Hindsight: The Big Bad is a black-clad warlord whose armies forces also dress in the same way, they aim to conquer the land and both Christians and other Muslims that refuse to fight for him. Despite the movie being made over a decade before they came into prominence, it can be very hard to not see similarities with ISIS.