YMMV: Death Wish
- Awesome Music: The soundtracks for 2 and 3. It is to be expected when you have Jimmy Page being the composer.
- Early Installment Weirdness: the original is a gritty, realistic, look at urban decay and out of control crime in major American cities during the era. The movie was such a hit largely because it embodied the feelings of many honest citizens at the time. In the end there is no dramatic showdown with the men who killed his wife and raped his daughter, they simply disappear into the city and Paul will never know who they were. There's little graphic violence, but what there is is very disturbing. Nothing in the movie could be defined as gratuitous. The sequels all follow all the cliches avoided in the original.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The movies are very popular in Mexico, to the grade the Spanish title of the movie, El Vengador Anonimo (The Anonymous Avenger) is synonymous of a cop who fights crime outside the law.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The killers in the first film targeting Kersey' s wife and daughter after spotting them in the grocery store and following them home. 33 years later, this is exactly how the horrific rape and murder of Dr. William Petit' s wife and daughters began.
- Moral Event Horizon: The three unnamed thugs from the first movie rape Jersey's wide and daughter, killing the former.
- The Woobie: Kersey's poor daughter just could not catch a break...