- Adaptation Displacement: Based on a novel that seems to be largely forgotten today.
- Critic-Proof: Got scathing reviews and won the Worst Picture Razzie of 1988, but was a giant financial success.
- Ear Worm: Many of the songs used in the film, but especially "Addicted to Love".
Might as well face it, you're addicted to love!
Aruba, Jamaica, uuuuh I wanna take you to / Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama...
- Also "Kokomo".
- Ho Yay: Brian and Doug's relationship is more of a driving force in the plot than the love story - by the end, Doug even says that Brian is the only person he's ever cared about. And his suicide note starts off "My Dearest Brian..."
- Parvum Opus: Unfortunately one of the contenders for this title as far as Touchstone Pictures films are concerned.