- Crowning Music of Awesome: Super Adventure Island was soundtracked by Yuzo Koshiro. Enough said.
- Demonic Spiders: The literal spiders (aka Zigmos) can make some of the later levels unwinnable if you lose your weapon. There's also those pesky frogs/Kellos. The literal Goddamned Bats can be particularly demonic when platform jumping. And the jumping swordfish come at you almost-nonstop in the later ocean levels.
- Goddamned Rocks. Bounce, bounce, bounce, die, throw your controller.
- And there are also bassers which are bats which often qualify too.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The series was very popular in Mexico in the 80s and 90s, partly because the in-game sprite of Master Higgins/Takahashi in the first game looks a lot like the late Mexican comedian Gaspar Henaine aka Capulina, and he's even called as such by Mexican players.
- Guide Dang It: The success of button-mashing minigames in Adventure Island IV depends on how much food you have in inventory before entering minigame.
- Serial Numbers Filed Off: Made by the creator of Wonder Boy, and the first games are nearly identical.
- That One Level: Although the whole world 8 in the first game is very hard, the world 8-3 is especially noteworthy due to a segment which requires pixel-perfect jumps and firing.